Worst Zone in EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cloud the Third, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Tobynn Augur

Sign me up for this. Gives me a sound reason to have spent time maxing out those factions with both castles aside from 20 ach points
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Freeport revamp never worked for me.
    Winnowyl and Eggolas like this.
  3. Eggolas Augur

Me neither. But Caverns . . . never want to return.
  4. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

GMM. I disliked the layout. There's a reason (outside dev time) that zone didn't go Live in SoF. It's awful haha
  5. Buri Augur

The problem I had with the FP revamp was that my main character was born in Freeport, and after the revamp, my Origin got switched to Crescent Reach! Numerous requests to change it were ignored.
  6. Qbert Gallifreyan

I don't know if the command works anymore, but for characters who had this type of thing happen, there was a "/setstartcity" command put in to alleviate the issue way back when
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  7. Lubianx Augur

I never liked Crystal Caverns, and now there are 3 of them (excluding raid zones)

The newer one I can sort of handle as it is split into 2 zones but still having to do progression in CC in 2 different expansions, that's just mean.
  8. Kolani Augur

Worst zone, by expansion:
    Classic: Kedge Keep. No explanation needed.
    Kunark: Crypt of Dalnir. Nothing against Crypt of Dalnir, but does this zone actually exist? I've never talked to anyone who's been there. I have the achievement, so I know it must be real, but I remember nothing about it.
    Velious: Velketor's Labyrinth. Fite me. I know people love it, but as far as I'm concerned it's a slippery mess of all white and ramps.
    Luclin: Probably Maiden's Eye, it and Umbral Plains might as well be the same zone and call it "Running to Vex Thal."
    Power: Terris Thule's Lair is pretty bleh. I'm going to pick it over Innovation and Torment, my most hated zones.
    LoY: Torgiran Mines. Hope you like getting stuck on geometry.
    LDoN: Arena of Chance is the worst instance. It sucks, it's hard to pull, and when it was current there was almost always a bug preventing it from being completed.
    Gates: I despise Tipt. I lied and told someone I didn't have the expansion once while soloing in Natimbi because I didn't want to be the snarer. It may not actually be the worst, but it's the one I like the least.
    Omens: Noble's Causeway. Just bleh.
    Dragons: The Ascent. No particular reason, it's just the dullest.
    Darkhollow: The Hive. No particular reason again, just the least interesting visually.
    Prophecy of Ro: North Ro. Say what you will about Freeport, but the new North Ro is everything people say Freeport is.
    Serpent's Spine: Direwind Cliffs. I never really spent much time in Stone Hive or Blackfeather Roost, so I don't really know about them, but Direwind is the least favorite that I've spent time in.
    Buried Sea: Silyssar is pretty confusing, I'll pick it.
    Faydwer: Hills of Shade. Everyone feels the same about it, I take it.
    Seeds: Oceangreen Village. It feels like padding, everything could have been shoved into Hills.
    Underfoot: Foundation, for many of the same reasons as Torgiran Mines.
    House of Thule: I really liked most of this expansion, I'd go with Upper House for padding out a travel area into a zone or The Well for the fake one way walls.
    Veil: Pillars of Alra. If you've been there, no explanation needed.
    Rain: Heart of Fear, all three zones. Disappointing after the care taken with literally every other zone in the expansion.
    Call: Tower of Rot. I want to give it to Dead Hills because of Gribble, but Leftover Ramps From Prior Expansions: The Zone wins.
    Darkened Sea: CAVERNS OF ENDLESS SONG.
    Broken Mirror: Plane of Health. I liked it a lot better when it was called Windsong Sanctuary.
    Empires: Oooh, I like pretty much the whole expansion. I'll go with Gates of Kor'Sha.
    Ring of Scale: Drakefire Mountains. That's all.
    Burning Lands: Empyr. Prince Rallafin is there.
    Torment: Yep, you guessed it. The only zone to be a repeat winner, Velketor's Labyrinth.
    cadres and Maedhros like this.
  9. Sabrefist- Journeyman

Ooo do your favorite zones next! I need to go on an EQ vacation...
    Waitwhat likes this.
  10. jeskola pheerie

I'll go with Stoneroot Falls, F that zone and the ramps and water and elevations and zoneout
  11. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

You spelled "best" wrong
    Kaenneth likes this.
  12. Kolani Augur

Since the Fist asked, with minimal comment...

Classic: Clan Crushbone
    Kunark: Karnor's Castle
    Velious: Wakening Lands
    Luclin: Ssrazahera Temple
    Power: Plane of Storms
    LoY: Dulak's Harbor
    LDoN: The Hidden Vale
    Gates: Qvic, Prayer Ground of Calling
    Omens: Asylum of Anguish
    Dragons: Thundercrest Isles
    Darkhollow: Dreadspire Keep
    Prophecy of Ro: Takish-Hiz
    Serpent's Spine: Icefall Glacier
    Buried Sea: Zhisza: The Shissar Sanctuary
    Faydwer: Bloodmoon Keep
    Seeds: Kaesora Library
    Underfoot: Kernagir, the Shining City
    House of Thule: Miragul's Nightmare. The pinnacle of presentation for a single zone and progression through it. It's never been done better.
    Veil: Windsong Sanctuary
    Rain: Kael Drakkal: The King's Madness
    Call: Neriak Fourth Gate
    Darkened Sea: Thulisar Island
    Broken Mirror: Sul Vius: Demiplane of Life
    Empires: Chardok
    Ring of Scale: Gorowyn
    Burning Lands: Esianti: Kingdom of Wind
    Torment: Kael Drakkal, even though it is too bright.
  13. Bigstomp Augur

For worst zone, I would say plane of health.
    Not really hard, but the geometry was annoying.
    And having to do it over and over.

A close second would maybe be windsong sanctuary (surprise!)
  14. Kolani Augur

See, I *liked* it when it was Windsong.
  15. Bigstomp Augur

For that expansion, I think I'd say Rubak would be my favorite. Even though it took us a long time to beat the raid.
  16. Beimeith Lord of the Game

You're all wrong.

The worst zone is Dragoncrypt.

All other zones have at least one redeeming quality, Dragoncrypt has none, and represents the worst aspects of online gaming.
  17. Bigstomp Augur

Bleh. Ok. You have convinced me. I was trying hard to pretend it did not exist.
  18. Kolani Augur

Meh, I can ignore Lair of the Fallen since it's not tied to an expansion.
  19. Garmr Augur

It exists and it was amazing, partly because no one seemed to know it existed, lol. Even in era back when, the zone was entirely underused. I grouped regularly there with mostly the same folks, from 25-40ish? XP was great, had decent loot for the time and gnomes were on the menu! Seriously great zone.
    Annastasya likes this.
  20. Beimeith Lord of the Game

What does that have to do with anything?