Worst Zone in EQ

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cloud the Third, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Cloud the Third Augur

I has to be plan of war right? I mean this zone has terrible annoying stupid quest and is a nightmare to enter even at level 115.

I died more times in plane of war in 1 day then i did from leveling 110-115 and completing every achievement and 7th earring TS quest.
    Riou likes this.
  2. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Kedge keep is pretty suck-tastic... well any zone 100% in water is
    Indrigoth, svann and Buri like this.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Worst zone psychologically is Kithicor Forest.

Worst zone design is (new) Freeport.
  4. Sancus Augur

Plane of War is a good zone.
  5. Qbert Gallifreyan

It really depends on what you think makes a zone the worst, but Plane of War would be near the opposite end of that spectrum for me by almost any measure.

I agree that water-based zones are problematic for multiple reasons. My least favorite zones are probably those that comprise the revamped Freeport. I am not a fan of anything functionally changing as a result of revamps/time/broken("fixed"?) mechanics and quests, etc. (example: why can't all of the portal pads in Veeshan's Peak (Kunark, not RoS) still go to where they originally went?).
  6. Monkman Augur

Debuff clickie(s) are your friend in PoWar
    Dibab, eqgamer, Zaray and 1 other person like this.
  7. Cloud the Third Augur

That zone is great.

Plane of war sucks, every quest i have done it in just sucks. Buggy, don't work well, and boring. Kill 4 phes with a clicky and wait for a rare spawn, 3 hours later no spawn. Click an item on some npcs get jumped but 10+ other mobs around it and hope you live so you can get some random item to spawn in your hand. Click an item then click the ground and have less than 2 secs to kill the mob or you get no drop and when you get a drop 1 in 4 chance it it is a useless item.

Heck this is stuff you couldn't even solo when it came out I feel sorry for those who did this back when you needed a group for 20 hours to get past 1 step in a quest for each person in a group.

Lets not forget the buggy doors you try to click and they don't take you through than finally the click works but it ports you in then right back out.
  8. Strawberry Augur

I detest upper and lower guk, never have I managed to go there without getting lost on the way to a group.

There is also a general sense of claustrophobia I experience in Guk. Getting lost on top of a claustrophobic experience and invisibility that was not reliable, makes me want to forget the time I spent in Guk. I really disliked EQ in those moments.

The zone I like the most is probably Stoneroot Falls, it is so lovely, with all the waterfalls and the bridges, it's just lovely.

Thundercrest Isles in DoN is lovely too, it has this Asian theme with warm colors and lovely lighting. All the lovely bridges and lampshades, it's amazing looking.
    Laurana, Dances and Elyssanda like this.
  9. AppleSplatter Journeyman

10. Galliana Elder

Skyfire (RoS). That zone sucks hard enough to bend light.

* Mobs frequently jump you at the wizard port. Druid port totally safe
    * Quest mobs at druid port. See invis mobs between them and wizard port
    * Random see invis mobs everywhere
    * Dive bombing drakes
    * Quest givers out in the middle of nowhere.
    * Collectables in unreachable spots
    * Drunk effect procing vampires.

WOrst of all, despite repeated complaints, complete indifference from DBG.
  11. Xyphen Maximum Augur

At least the chromodracs don't dispell like the ones in classic Skyfire.
    Ferriciean, Jennre, Fenthen and 5 others like this.
  12. Velisaris_MS Augur

If they removed that one element, I bet the zone would get used way more than it is. Right now, the only reason people go there once they've done progression is because that's where the Gorowyn port clicky drops you.
  13. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Freeport revamp is the most horrifying thing ever.
    Coagagin, Waitwhat, Mukkul and 4 others like this.
  14. Ayoheee Augur

It was intended to be hard, wasn't by any means required and most ppl who did it in my experience enjoyed it--or even loved it--as it was a change of pace from ezmode EQ.
    Drogba likes this.
  15. Kobrah Augur

Anything ToV.. everything is too easy .. crybabies from TBL won this expac.
    Ferriciean likes this.
  16. Petalonyx Augur

This also has my vote. Tiny entrance to pok where mounts get stuck in rafters, every single ground ornamental post snags me CONSTANTLY, the lack of unique landmarks to orient direction, esp in corpse summon area,

There are so many things that could be done to improve the look and function of the lobby.
  17. Cloud the Third Augur

I don't mind hard zones. I cleared every single achievement in ToV way to fast. Plane of war is an old expansion but come on this long after it and getting basically HT by 2 mobs and you die??? I wasn't around when it came out but I don't see how anyone did it back in the day... was it just any mob back when it came out HT (or are they using a DT and it just feels like HT due to me being fully raid geared from TBL) you and instantly died?
  18. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

New Freeport is infinitely better than the old one.
  19. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Hah! My necromantic vision would see lovely visions of how it used to be, but it's blocked by all those pointless walls!
    Coagagin and Kolani like this.
  20. Kiras Augur

I'm going to go with Caverns of Endless Song. Water zone? Check. Horrible for auto follow? Check. Mixed living and undead with see invises all over? Yup, got that too!
    cadres, Dances, Snack and 4 others like this.