What to do in CotF?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Accipiter, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Accipiter Old Timer

Phinny has finally reached the point where I quit live so I have no experience with this expansion. Last night was my first experience in CotF. I just picked a spot in Neriak 4th Gate to burn Lesson and get a feel. By the way, I'm a grouping 5-boxer. No raid gear but I'm T4 group geared from RoF.

To my knowledge, I have never done a Heroic Adventure. I liked DoDH and all the missions it gave us. Then I came to hate missions by the time I got through VoA (flying around on a clockwork helicopter and the like was a new low point for EQ). I suppose HAs are similar to previous expansion missions.

What is your advice? Should I do HAs or just do the normal XP thing in open zones? I guess at some point I'll need HAs for the Marks of Valor?

I guess I'm just looking for any feedback you have on CotF.
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

HAs are more akin to LDoN. Easy group instance with 3-4 kill/collect steps. As your own group, with practice and a little gear, you will be able to clear 3 in the lesson burns window, netting about 100 AA. The marks will be good to supplement gear and augs too.

The overall achievements for CoTF have good rewards too, in the form of heroic AA's, so look into all of those.
  3. Aueman Journeyman

In terms of just straight XP, you'll find that doing most HA's will net you more xp in the time it takes to do them then just straight xp grinding in zones. In particular Gribbles HA's in Dead Hills are really straight forward and quick, and will net 20 aa's or so upon completion. If you have lesson, or XP pots it can be even more. With lesson running last night we were getting 40+ aa's per 1 HA.

HA's in CoTF are much different than the group missions you were doing in VoA, and not nearly as annoying. The steps in the tasks are mostly made up of kill so and so number of mobs, or loot so and so number of items.

To answer your question I would do the HA's as you will get good XP/AA as well as currency for augs/gear you may have missed out on.

Also one thing to note, in CoTF there are zone wide rares that can only drop from static zones. They are super super rare, but the items are raid equivalent and trade-able.
  4. Darchon_Xegony Augur

From HoT onward every expansion my goals are:

• Complete all Merc/Partisan Tasks zone by zone
    • Complete all Hero Missions after unlocking ability to request them
    • Complete all Hunter achievements for additional bags and as a byproduct of slaying named, Augs/bags/gear
    • Camp Augs/gear from named that I missed during Hunters
    • Complete all the collection achievements that I didn’t get through the above content

I’ll typically go about tier by tier in that order unless I know during certain sessions of play time I’ll have to take frequent breaks then I may set up and camp a named earlier in the process. Or I am too lazy to do combat then I’ll run around rogue box collecting shiny ground spawns while watching Netflix.

In CoTF there are also HAs as mentioned above which offer a few things:

• Collectibles spawn at specific points in HAs which are the only point these collectibles appear so it’s required to do HAs to get these done
    • Certain named only spawn during HAs.
    • HA end EXP is probably better cycling these than just straight grinding so if you want EXP these are way to go
    • HA currency offers you the ability to buy some gear and Augs, including gear and Augs going back to SoF, so if you missed anythjng you can grab it with HA currency.

These 2 month expansions will be very difficult to get everything done for lower play time or non-boxers.
    Nolrog and yepmetoo like this.
  5. jeskola pheerie

Follow the achievements
    Yinla likes this.
  6. jeskola pheerie

Oh and get your merc gear
    yepmetoo likes this.
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'll hit some HAs and see how it goes.
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

My only merc is a cleric. Does gear help healers as well? She can already tank as well as my SK. ;-)
  9. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Can add on 320ish AC, cleric tanking ftw
  10. Nolrog Augur

Not going to quote the whole thing, but Darchon gives a great overview of what to do. That's the path me and my buddy have been following for several expansions now .
  11. Ayoheee Augur

Hunter for bag, Missions for 30 purity aug etc, Achievements for hero AAs, farm augs (especially spec augs since you're grp geared and can't use the LDoN ones). Most ppl just grind Gribble HAs all day tho
  12. Zipe The Healer

Hello,
    Cotf got some goals that are useful up to live... Hero's Fortitude and Vitality from achievements. Also, there are augments that are BiS up to live: all the specialization augments. They are an uppgrade from the ldon ones but also slot 7-8 so mean we can finally use them on alts too.
    Plane of War also got some augments that got extreme longevity too.
    Overall, I feel like Cotf, for us in Phinny, will be an expansion that will be really useful for people to catch up on AA and gear.
    Also, I would like to Emphatize that Cotf got a Potion (alchemy) revamp. Most of the Focus potions that previosly used various schools of magic now only use one school, this, technically, is a huge performance boost that people that ever cared to use focus potions (mana preservation and proc).
    I am new to all this modern expansion so, please, take my asseverations as just guesses from personal experience, not facts.
    Fare thee well.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Dead Hills partisan is a must, just for the film clip on completion. :)

Pretty much from this expansion onward you are going to want to do all quests & missions for heroic AAs. :)
  14. Aegir Augur

Doing Plane of War progression and trying out some of the nameds so far with a solid group of friends, has been the most group fun I've had since the very old days of EQ.
    Yinla likes this.
  15. MaxTheLion Augur

Key words right here. Plane of War is no joke in general and the named are a few calibers above that. Fun times indeed.