The obvious xp problem

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran 99, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Whulfgar Augur

Clearly you were not playing in original EQ. You would know how wrong you were if you had.

Once again the fact that we did not have any "special" double xp weekends or lessons .. or potions to
    actually help with grinding out levels in original EQ, You clearly have no concept of exactly what it
    was like to grind levels durring original EQ .. We had literal h e l l levels to the point EACH h e l l
    level would literally take THEE BEST players on server's literal WEEKS .. WEEKS .. of playing threw
    while grinding for hours an hours an hours a day ..

You CLEARLY were not there and clearly have no idea what you are talking about..
  2. Natal Augur

Been playing the game since Kunark, so I do know. It is your memory that is faulty.

The main problem in the original game is that you pretty much needed a solid group, if you tried to do it yourself or with less than a full well rounded group it would be glacially slow. So, it may have seemed to take a long time, but mostly because an inordinate amount of time was spent traveling or looking for a group/filling a group. If you did not need to do those things then leveling was not a big problem, nothing as bad as it is currently.
    Nennius, Corwyhn Lionheart and enclee like this.
  3. enclee Augur

I agree with this observation, old-era EQ was filled with lots of time spent outside of combat. I'd compare it to football, 11 minutes of actual action out of a 60 minute game-clock that takes 3.5 hours or real time.
    Vumad likes this.
  4. Whulfgar Augur

/sigh..

Original EQ did in fact not include Kunark ..

Which explains why you have no actual knowledge of original EQ.. an exactly how hard it was.

You are dismissed ..
    Kaenneth likes this.
  5. Tappin Augur

There was a experience realignment during Kunark and PoP eras. The only thing that has consistent throughout EQ’s life (until now) is killing mob was primary source of earned experience.

Class dismissed.
  6. Laronk Augur

If you take the time to max out your aa, you're going to spend more time killing mobs than questing.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  7. Tappin Augur

Thanks for highlighting that large experience boost on progression is an outlier.
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

About time. Long winded teachers bore me.

/Now back to tomorrow's lesson plans.
  9. Voxynn Elder

Whulf is correct. In origional eq it was vastly vastly more difficuly to level up.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  10. Nennius Curmudgeon

Quite true. I didn't start playing until October of 2000, but plenty of folks I knew had been playing since soon after launch. I hate to think just how many hours we spent asking for a healer to join our groups. It is far, far easier now to level then it was then. My favorite addition to the EQ world was getting mercs. It greatly enhance my enjoyment of the game.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  11. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

You're wrong.

People would "grind" for "good" experience "1 blue bub per hour". That was 4% of a level, in the 45-60 range when original release and Kunark were current. H e l l levels were worse.

That's 25 hours a level of grinding.

You're simply wrong in your recollection.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  12. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I listed several of the differences between original EQ and the current one in a previous post in this thread. There are many, many, many more differences. We are not playing original EQ and therefore, there is no reason we have to have level xp be difficult, assuming it was back then.

If you want to play original EQ, well, go start a Project 1999 server, or go play on one if you can find one that actually has original EQ. I think they don't even play original but a modified Original Content, Kunark, and Velious.

Again, this bringing up the original EQ has nothing to do with this discussion other than to realize it is 2020 and not 1999 and then move on.
    Shanarias and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  13. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

The exp con change during PoP was reverted a month later. Because it was so vastly unpopular when people that couldn't beat executioner trial were getting worse rates of experience in pon than people had at level 55 in kunark in lguk.
  14. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

1) /join general
    2) "looking for healer and 2 dps for missions"
    3) add random people
    4) go finish missions in 2 hours maximum start to finish at the worst
  15. Tappin Augur

The first class to 50 on my sever was wizard who did primarily solo in a whole three days.
  16. Tappin Augur

The experience realignment had nothing to do with cons. It was a h ll level corrections and was never undone.
  17. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

This is where we all call you a liar and point and laugh.

If you're playing on some progression server, then no one cares.

Nice reality check, considering this was from elitists:

http://www.afterlifeguild.org/Thott/kunark.php

"It takes from 40 to 100 days of /play time (each day is 24 hours spent playing, so 10 days /play is 240 hours) for someone's first character to get to the original level cap of 50"

No, no one hit level 50 in 3 days back in March 1999. Not in 3 days, not in 3 days /played.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  18. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Unless your UI looks like this:

[IMG]

You are not playing original EQ.

Shanarias, MasterMagnus and Yinla like this.
  19. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

No.

Luclin is when he ll levels were smoothed out. And there was no "bug" involved in it after, works like it was supposed to:

September 4, 2002 3:00 am
    ** Experience Changes **
    - We have smoothed out level progression from 50-60. This should mitigate the "penalty effect" that occurs in levels 51, 54 and 59. Note that it will cost the same experience to level from 50 to 60 as it did before. Also, death experience loss will appear different in some levels. This is an unfortunate side effect that must remain to prevent some experience exploits.

The experience change with the release of PoP was with con level and range. This was the creation of "Dark blue" bonus and "light blue" cons, and the creation of "grey" cons. And this resulted in people dinging level 61 and getting almost no experience anywhere other than the elemental planes.

The level ranges at that time for gaining experience narrowed. So at 61, a level 51 mob was a green con. A level 46 was a grey con.

After much anguish, they reverted it to the original scale where there was a 15 level gap at that point before something turned green. Then 5 more levels before it greyed out.

Original dark blue was only 2-3 levels, same range as yellow con. One thing I don't recall for sure is how the experience dropped off for the light blues, if it was any different or just they expanded the ranges to include more content.
    Vumad likes this.
  20. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

It has as much relevance as anything else in this thread. Someone made a claim. It was refuted. Keep bumping it to point out how its not "relevant" all you want, but its a factual error that was noted.

The exp rates are fine. They want levels to take longer. Get over it.