Producer's Letter: EQ Stuff to be Sold on Amazon

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by minimind, Jan 21, 2020.

1. minimind The Village Idiot

Within the announcement of Daybreak Splitting into 3 Studios (Everquest being managed under Darkpaw Games), Holly Longdale mentioned that the studio will test selling EQ stuff on Amazon.

https://www.everquest.com/news/darkpaw-games-producers-letter-2020

More than anything, we want to deliver on what players love and go even further. We are going to think outside the box a bit, so hold onto your tails!

This month, we plan to sell a limited run of our EverQuest 20th and EverQuest II 15th anniversary shirts on Amazon. If it goes well, we’ll keep exploring official product ideas. We’ll send out links and details as soon as we have them!

This is cool and I'll probably buy a couple shirts just to have them, but I tend to wear these types of things to bed, not outdoors. I still want to identify to other EQ players in the real world, just not in a way that requires I wear large branding. Personally, I prefer insider identification. Stuff that's only noticeable if you're in the know.

Runners did this years ago with stickers on their cars that say "13.1" and "26.2" representing the mileage in half- and full-marathons respectively. The Harry Potter franchise capitalized very well on using the minimalist sign of the "Deathly Hallows" or the "Dark Mark" to allow fans to identify to one another. Star Wars fans have the Rebellion and Imperial insignia.

With all the graphics and iconography in EQ, let alone all the simple text commands that people use constantly, I know there are cheap products that can be produced and used in the real world so that, walking through town, I might see a sticker on a laptop of a stylized Vengeful Taelosian Blood Axe with a server name on the handle.
    Wolfwoodd, Nniki, RPoo and 4 others like this.
  2. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

I'd love to see some EQ branded Snapbacks, maybe even a Toque? :D (Beanie)

The Zippo lighters are something I STILL hunt for on ebay, hopefully this is a big success and the Merch department grows, lord knows I love to waste money on EQ fluff
    Nniki, eepok and Funky like this.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I would have thought it a bit late for the 20th Anniversary it is 21st in less than 2 months.
  4. Nudia Augur

Can't wait. My older Fan Faire shirts died. My Qeynos one is hanging in there, but isn't long for this world.
    eepok likes this.
  5. enclee Augur

I read your title at first as EQ stuff to be sold to Amazon, and got some hope that maybe Bezos was an EQ geek and wanted the IP.
    eepok likes this.
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I'd love to see Darkpaw Games partner with a book publisher to run a special edition book (clothbound, maybe slipcased) about EQ and/or EQ2.

The book could include expansion artwork, concept art, original artwork, easter eggs/hidden nuggets, development process (how they designed TBL), and even spoilers (how to spawn Vaniki or Quillmane). It doesn't have to be text heavy.
    Nniki likes this.
  7. Numiko Augur

they used to sell watches and lighters!

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Nniki, RPoo, klanderso and 2 others like this.
  8. Riou EQResource

Well Smedley and a bunch of other ex EQ devs do work at Amazons game studio trying to make that "New World" MMO
    Nniki and enclee like this.
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

10. Herf Augur

Wait...so if we buy T shirts, they'll produce more EQ content? WTF?
  11. Riou EQResource

It is added revenue to DBG, which has the potential to raise their budget, which can let them hire more Devs to make more content, yes
    Yinla and eepok like this.
  12. Herf Augur

It says a "limited run" of T shirts. I don't see how there can be a lot of cash in that, unless the T shirts are priced as if they're made of platinum.

Though I can see potential here. T shirts can have words to the effect of "I paid DB lots of money and all I got was this T shirt" ;)
  13. enclee Augur

I forgot all about Smedley.
  14. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

This is step 1. They're not gunna get a bunch of stuff done up before they test market demand
    Corwyhn Lionheart and eepok like this.
  15. Riou EQResource

I'm surprised there is no like Fippy doll in there, that one would prob be big hit :p
    klanderso, Yinla and eepok like this.
  16. minimind The Village Idiot

Nniki, RPoo and Ravanta Suffer like this.
  17. enclee Augur

RPoo and eepok like this.
  18. Captain Video Augur

I would like to buy a lifetime membership on Amazon, please.
    RPoo and eepok like this.
  19. jeskola pheerie

20. Wolfwoodd New Member

I'm an adult, like most of the player base. I can't really say I want products with a big "Everquest" logo plastered on them. Give me something subtle. I want something with images and text that only other EQ players will understand. Be clever about it and I will happily buy all the things. I just wanted to say that just in case any devs / product designers are reading the thread.
    Nniki, RPoo, klanderso and 6 others like this.