Are bosses supposed to be this slow to spawn?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dwimmerlaike, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Dwimmerlaike Elder

I know that bosses have been spawning super fast. However, today in Eastern Wastes after the change in over 3 hours of camping keeping all 4 PH's down for Bolman, and 2 of the spawns for Monolith he had no appearances.

Are the spawns consistently this rare now? Are they now supposed to be this rare? This could be as intended, it may not be so I asked.

I wasn't sure where to put this so I put it here.
  2. Dwimmerlaike Elder

I did go back to the camp for almost 2 hours and got 2 Bolman's.
  3. Bigstomp Augur

They spawn faster than it takes me to scroll past your signature.
    Deathly, Vumad, Whulfgar and 3 others like this.
  4. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

Not sure what the issue is.... this happens literally every expansion.... namers spawn frequently (not normally as frequently as a few did in ToV, but still frequently) for about the first month or two. Then, a patch happens and all of a sudden they seem to be significantly more rare.
  5. Dwimmerlaike Elder

Not now they don't. That is why I was asking. ;)
  6. Dwimmerlaike Elder

I don't know that I have ever had an expansion where I could go in and see so many zones and kill so many mobs so I have only "heard" what you have said, this will be my first time seeing it.
  7. Ngreth Thergn Developer

#1. This time there was a bug where many bosses spawned more frequently than we planned. (There were a few that were also too rare, they also got adjusted to be more common.)
    #2 even in expansions where we don;t have a bug, it's a numbers thing. More people killing more mobs makes things happen more. The usual measure is they amount of things coming in, being available, not as much mobs being available, and the amount of things available slows when there are less people killing mobs.

Our general target is one rare every 72 minutes if all placeholders are killed within a minute of their spawning.

BUT it's all random number based, so you get streaks.
    Jhenna_BB and Bobbybick like this.
  8. Qbert Gallifreyan

I didn't investigate it thoroughly, but the perception and/or reality could be related to what I noticed after the patch. While I have no idea how prevalent it is, I ran into at least four different locations in various zones that had fewer placeholders than pre-patch.

If the placeholders simply no longer exist, or were moved to other locations in the zone, I have no idea (just thought it was interesting). One example was Mahaha . . . I went up in that corner working on undead kills for the tradeskill quest so as not to interfere with a person working on a partisan task, and three of the placeholders simply weren't there (not non-placeholder mobs either, just . . . no mobs at all in those three spots).
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

RNG "being streaky" is more often the case than not, you get long spaces of time with no nameds then a flurry of spawns close together, very rarely are they spaced out in the way you would expect & at least anecdotally it always seems to me that the RNG gets progressively more "clumpy" (namers spawning close together with big time gaps between) the longer the server up-time has been.

So best time to hunt nameds has for me always been after server up & hunting nameds close to patch day the absolute worst time.

Some of the RNG 'ness of EQ could probably use some taming.
  10. Daedly Augur

Just curious, but what is the purpose of placeholders needing to be killed within a min of spawning? Is there some kind of system that checks for PH's up and uses minute intervals , determine the chance of the Rare to spawn?
  11. Cicelee Augur

I think his point is to say that if someone is camping three PH on a 18 minute respawns, then you should see one named for 72 minutes, or every 12 mobs.

So if it takes someone 20 minutes before they pull a PH, they are only seeing six mobs in 72 minutes. In which case it may take two hours for that group to get the named...
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

33 PH no named....so this is a bad streak or not working as intended. :)
  13. Ngreth Thergn Developer

This. It's only a math thing. they can be up for hours... but... when we do the math of "what percentage do we put on the spawn table" we don't add a "time-to-kill" or travel. etc. it's just. "There are this many spawns, they spawn this often, that means we need it to be X %" time up doesn't do anything to change the random numbers, chance of spawning, or anything like that.
  14. Petalonyx Augur

The downward adjustment in spawn chance seems to have hit hard in TOFS. Definitely feels like more than a 60% cut. It's still early to say much with confidence tho.
  15. Ashian Augur

Fantastic! They were WAY, WAY too common, I would have gone with an 80%+ reduction myself for certain named (6th floor Drolvarg, for example).
  16. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

That was YOUR experience. I was clearing all the Ph'ers for 2 hours for 1 spawn the other day. ymmv
  17. AppleSplatter Journeyman

Thanks for sharing the rare spawn goal with us. I love the transparency. It's only been one day since patch, but I did notice that Windchill and Bolman in EW are not spawning as much as I would expect. Total camp time for me is about 5 hours without any namers.

And I'm sure this is a fluke, but I got a chase loot drop once in that five hours, but not a named spawn. Please don't investigate that. However, the velium infused skins are dropping much much more often and I love it.
    Petalonyx likes this.
  18. Ashian Augur

Clearing for 2 hours for 1 spawn is appropriate and in line with the developers’ targets. Before the patch, I was getting the named spawns nearly 50% of the time. With appropriately staggered kills, I was getting between 10 - 20 named an hour. This is not even close to appropriate.
    Whulfgar and Daedly like this.
  19. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

You're right, it's more appropriate. But your statement was you wanted a BIGGER nerf to the spawn rate. My point in sharing my experience was that a bigger nerf would NOT be appropriate.
    Ashian likes this.
  20. Ashian Augur

Fair point. I concede. Just saying a 60% cut wouldn’t have been enough for some named, if that is indeed the reduction!