TOV XP

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Nivek, Jan 8, 2020.

1. dreamweaver Community Manager

Alright, I have opened this back up again.

I am going to be keeping an eye on it.
  2. Allayna Augur

I think the ToV per kill experience could be doubled.

Change nothing about "how much" experience is required per level. Change nothing about the actual progression rewards. This would be the best solution in my opinion as it concedes to those who enjoy the grind. It also rewards those who prefer not to grind and prefer to quest. It addresses concerns over large experience deaths.
  3. Whulfgar Augur

Yep, the xp per kill is pretty bad.
  4. Jaxxer Journeyman

Agreed. That would it at about ten mobs per 1%. A thousand per level. You could grind that out, or combine it with the Merc/Part tasks to speed up the trip to 115 in a normal amount of time. The achievements are still the best source of Exp, but this gives an avenue for all those alts and boxes that people are a little less willing to carry through the hero missions that require decent gear and moderate skill levels.
    Skuz, Corwyhn Lionheart and Allayna like this.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I wonder if the current grind xp indirectly addresses botting by discouraging xp mills and making the behavior more obvious to detect (longer run times). (I know Tappin previously argued that high grind benefits botters).

Updated Franklin Teek tasks (Level 100, 105, 110) could allow more casual players to gain around 5% per day per set and mitigate xp loss due to deaths.
  6. Cicelee Augur

Here is what I am missing.

On my server I played several hours in EW and GD on both Saturday and Sunday. Probably around a dozen hours total. Every half hour or so I would look to see who was in the zone. There was anywhere from 25-40 people at a time, and of those only 1-4 of those were from my raid guild. So a lot of casual guilds.

I would estimate 35-55 percent of those players were 115. At least 90 percent was 113 or higher.

Which means not even one full month into a 10-12 month expansion cycle, 90 percent had already reached the halfway point to getting to 115. Half were already max level.

My point? It can be done. Players are doing it. Nothing needs to be changed except the mindset of some players who think it cannot be done. It can.
    Sokki likes this.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I seriously doubt it. AFK botters don't care what the exp rate is. They drown in exp. I have accidentally offered many zero percent rezzes in the past and I was amazed how fast they relevel.

Casuals will die doing named mobs. They may even sometimes die to regular mob overpulls. Let them get back the exp at a reasonable rate.
    Skuz and Hitty like this.
  8. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

Except reaching 115 isn't the end. There are a couple thousand AA's to grind, too. And there will soon be a quest line in the game that requires you to grind out evolving item experience. Also, god forbid you ever have to eat a death (got a call but forgot to get a rez afterwards? Too bad). I had a corpse rot the other day because I had received a call and didn't notice right away. By the time I did... boom... guess I need to grind back 10+% again the slow way because I already have credit for all the big exp quests.

Grinding should be a viable option for those who prefer to work Hunters and other quests casually while leveling instead of just flocking to the hero missions and big-exp quest lines.
    Skuz likes this.
  9. Jaxxer Journeyman

Everyone knows it can be done. If you knock out all of the achievements for Merc/Part and Hero you land somewhere between 114 and 115. The Mercs and Parts can be done by just about any group. The Heroes require a bit more coordination. The point is, once you do these missions and tasks once, there is not much incentive to do them again. At the same time, there isn’t much in the way of Exp outside of the achievements. This is problematic and a change from every expansion in recent memory. Ideally, those that don’t have the gear/friends/krono to knock the heroes out should be able to grind out the exp in a corner somewhere with a pickup group or solo/molo. It should certainly be slower than putting together a good group and doing semi-difficult missions, but currently it’s a bit over the top.
    Skuz, Yinla and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  10. Evye Augur

I always liked the idea of cross server grouping for missions. Something like Dark Souls. Combine that with updated LFG and it could work well.
    TBH nothing is wrong with lfg people are just out of the habit of using it no?

11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It's not like botters can bang out 115 instantly. With the current xp rate, it will take them weeks to reach max level. At which time they have a better chance of getting caught or have less characters to produce. This is a better alternative than botters banging out 115 characters in a few days then jumping to other "burner" accounts.

In terms of xp for casuals, my proposal for updated Franklin Teek tasks would allow a casual to, at minimum, achieve 1 level every 20 or so days. Botters will not take advantage of Franklin Teek tasks.
  12. Natal Augur

The problem with that is that it would ramp up AA xp gain, so that in itself is not a solution.

The best way to do it is to reduce the amount of xp required to level, and the amount of xp various achievements give by a corresponding amount so it does not throw that part out of whack.
    Sokki and Skuz like this.
  13. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

How so? There's already a hard-coded max AA gain per mob.
    Allayna likes this.
  14. Micker Augur

I like to grind mobs. I don't like doing quests or missions etc, because I play random hours and times and sometimes only have 30mins or so. I just want to play the game and make some progress. I don't want a frustrating grind. I was going to start playing again in the new expansion, and loved the open zones now, but hearing about the exp etc, just seems like I'm going to get into a frustrating grind and that's not fun or something that's going to get me to start playing again. Get rid of the tasks and mission garbage, people do them once and then that's it. I like Original EQ, camp named, grind mobs for exp, get loot, good/fun quests like epics, jboots etc. Man I miss those days of Lower guk.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Whulfgar Augur

Anyone in game who logs in minimum of 3x a week (casually) can obtain 1 level every 20 days.
    The issue here, is that people want to be able to level (casually) 1 level every time they login.
    German, Allayna and Benito like this.
  16. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Lol.
  17. Pleides Ranger of Fellowship Of Justice. EMarr

What if I cant get a group or don't want one. This situation marginalises solo players, who have less time because of RL issues...its a bloody disgrace.
    Skuz likes this.
  18. Jaxxer Journeyman

I think the only suggestion regarding exp in this post has been to shorten the number of required kills for a level from about 2,000 (.05% per kill) to about 1,000 (.1% per kill). That’s a far cry from getting a level each time they login, unless each time they login they kill a thousand mobs.
    Mediik and Skuz like this.
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Which makes doing lesson totally useless as you are over the max, the max AA you can earn is 5, killing a named earns you more than 5 so you don't get the full amount unless you are splitting AA and exp.
  20. Stageguy Lorekeeper

I asked for this in the quest update thread for ToV before it came out. No response there either.