ToV Earring Evolving Quest

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Allayna, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Allayna Augur

I know I wasn't the only one to be disappointed to see this wasn't launched with the expansion as it would have been beneficial to evolve while doing the progression.

I know I wasn't the only one to be disappointed to see this won't be released with the January patch either.

I believe that Ngreth said on the beta boards that it was going to be 7 levels, with questing in between leveling and each level was going to require 2500 kills to evolve.

Nothing like blowing fireworks while grinding 1 evolving item, eh?
    Dracolindus and Duder like this.
  2. Ashian Augur

Allayna — I agree that it is disappointing, but I also believe that the delay wasn’t intentional. It wasn’t a design decision to release the earring 2+ months into the expansion. It simply wasn’t ready at launch.

I don’t think it is fair to say “Ngreth, work longer hours” or “hire more developers.” I wish it were different, but it isn’t like the quest is done and they are just electing to not release it.
  3. Nudia Augur

Hopefully there's some adjustment for this, but I'm not holding my breath. Having to do some kills with the experience completely wasted was expected, but having to do every single kill like that is going to be extremely boring. With the delay, if the grind requirement isn't adjusted/adapted, there's going to be a lot of miserably bored people.

I get that being capped already isn't necessary or common or whatever at this time, but I'm guessing the majority of people that finish this item will be capped long before the item is.
  4. svann Augur

Look at it this way - you're almost finished with merc/partisan/115/aas and likely most of your augs. You're going to need something new to do soon (in between missions).
  5. JeffHanson Augur

Between this, the exp required per level, and continuing the ultra-rare loots (which caused the explosion of automated groups in the first place), they are now designing the game for botters. I guess they know where their bread is buttered.
    Raptorjesus5 and Duder like this.
  6. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Be nice to at least put some new augs on named or vendors, to upgrade all the evolving items, and give a reason to make grinding that much not seem a waste of time.
  7. Barbwarrior Augur

As long as progression servers have to wait two months after unlock on their server lol
    FubarEQ, Cailen and Daedly like this.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Would be nice to have in Januarys patch, even if it is only the first couple/few quests of the larger quest line.

Would at least give us something else to do
    Cailen likes this.
  9. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

Hey, it's not like we all didn't pay $35+ for a year of an expansion or anything, amirite? Wait. Crap.

I think it's important to remember that for as emotionally involved most of us probably are in EQ, it's a business. DBG makes money. Ngreth makes money. All of them make money from us. There is nothing wrong with putting some pressure on an incorporated business to actually deliver what we've paid for.
  10. Cicelee Augur

Can I play devil's advocate?

Developers are trying to design content that will last an entire year. While we can agree or disagree on the amount of content, it is safe to say that there is going to be a portion of the game that will not complete all the content (quests, hunters, collections, achievements, etc). In that regards, developers have created more than enough content.

There is also a portion of the population that is going to complete everything sometime during the spring/summer. If I had to guess, it would be your average raider and your high play casual. For these people, there is reasonably enough content in the game. While another zone or two could stretch the completion to right before Beta, I don't think someone that completes all of TOV in July is upset with the game.

Then there is the super hardcore. Those who race and rush through everything within the first week or so. Who are already done with everything and are bored. There is literally nothing left for them to do. There is never enough content for those players. They consume everything so quickly that they are never satisfied.

The problem with Everquest is that it does not cater to a specific group. It caters to all types. From the ultra hardcore to the super casual. A game simply cannot make every group happy. Someone is always going to be unhappy. So what is a developer to do? Listen to the hardcore? Listen to the casual?

Or.... not listen? Do things when they can. On their terms. On their time, their deadlines from their management. I am sure they are working hard. I am sure they are trying. They cannot help it that someone has completed all of their content in the first two weeks. They are doing the best they can, with all the resources they have. I believe that.

So yeah we can be disappointed. We also did not have to rush through everything the first week. We could have taken our time and relaxed. Stretched things out over a couple months. That was an option too.

Even if the earring was released on launch or first patch, the ultra hardcore would still finish it within a few weeks. Then they are back to being bored. They can never be satisfied. If anything, delaying it extends and prolongs the expansion content for longer than a week or two for these people.

Not attacking anyone. I have been in all three groups over 20 years. I remember when SOE launched the game the slogan was "You're in our world now". Which is so true. We have always been in the developer's world. Not ours.
  11. Ashian Augur

You paid $35 for Torment of Velious. There was no promise that Torment of Velious would include a tradeskill earring quest at launch. It is a recurring theme for people on these forums to claim they paid for XYZ and are not receiving it. You have already received precisely what you paid for. If the developers want to add additional content to incentivize you to continue paying the monthly subscription and buy the subsequent expansion, that is up to them... but you didn’t pay $35 for access to a tradeskill earring quest or “a year of an expansion.”
    GNOME_POWER and Derka like this.
  12. Allayna Augur

@ the varied responses....

I’m not bored, I absolutely love ToV, I’m a paladin....or as a guildie called me, a plate zerker.
    The experience is nice while doing progression I would have done anyway. The problem I have is although I may be hardcore, I value my time like any other. I’m never, “just doing one thing”. I multi-task, mercs while doing partisan, while grinding evolving experience. Like the vast majority of the EQ player base, I have a full time career and other responsibilities both in game and out of game as a guild leader and a registered nurse.

I just like my time spent well when I get on with friends or go box because it’s 4am... call me crazy for wanting efficiency.
    Dracolindus, Goburs, Daedly and 2 others like this.
  13. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

Your logic is sorely lacking.

That's like going onto e-bay, seeing an ad for a sweet vacuum, and when it arrives at your house the box has a vacuum on the front but there's nothing inside.

"Hey man, the e-bay ad clearly only had a picture of a vacuum BOX on it... I never said you'd get the stuff inside."

Fact of the matter is, there isn't a NDA anymore. We all know (if we want) what is coming in an expansion, and can make an educated decision whether or not the expansion is worth out money. That is, until the situation changes, like it did with the TS quest.
  14. Ashian Augur

Disagree. Your vacuum logic is flawed. If you buy a vacuum on EBAY advertised as 3 speeds, then get a vacuum with 3 speeds, you can’t get upset when it doesn’t have a 4th speed that you were really hoping for. Go look at what was advertised with the expansion: new levels, new zones, new missions/quests etc. You got all of these things.

It was very clear in the beta that the TS earring quest was still under development. That was painstakingly obvious. The TS earring quest is going to be finished and you going to have access to it, just not immediately.

I’d be very sympathetic to your argument if DBG announced that the earring quest would not be available as part of ToV but instead sold separately. That would be misleading. But that’s not what they’re doing. They are providing it as soon as it is complete at no extra cost.
    Derka likes this.
  15. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

We have very different expectations for what we receive when we give over our money.

The expansion advertised raids, as well. We're going to get 11 months of tier 1, 10 months of tier 2, and 9 months of tier 3. Silly me for assuming I should get to use the content I paid for when I paid for it.
  16. Ngreth Thergn Developer

The Torment of Velious long tradeskill quest was not complete for the test patch, thus, not in it's notes.
    Also, no-one wanted to say it would be in the January patch until they could confirm it would be complete for the January patch.

I sent the final quest to QA at 11am this morning. Unless they find an egregious bug, this long tradeskill task will be in the January patch.
  17. enclee Augur

Thanks for making the January push and not just conceding it to February.
  18. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Should make the final reward "bugged" (on purpose) to have all negative stats.
  19. Cailen Augur

20. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

There wasn't any explosion, they were always there, people just didn't complain about them is all. Now that those groups end up being more likely to see the ultra rare drops (and thus sell them) then normal groups people complain about them more.
    So instead of the raiders just farming raids they have locked down and everything else done for 6 months of the year they will only be in that situation for 3 months of the year? This is bad how?