Torment of Velious: The puller's expansion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Fian Augur

As an enchanter, I hate that all the mobs in Kael, and the majority in Velketor's labrynth are unmezzable. It puts me out of a job, and puts stress on groups that are forced to fight multiple mobs at once. However, it puts a high premium on effective pullers of which monks and bards have a big advantage. Pulling classes have complained that no one wanted them to spend the time splitting mobs on a pull. That is no longer the case. In this expansion, having a good puller is key in several zones.

Pullers, enjoy this expansion. It is for you.
  2. Nylrem Augur

It is a good thing good enchanters bring a lot more to the table than just mez.

Their DPS + aDPS is as good as any other caster, have some of the best buffs/debuffs in game, can ghetto CC, punt/root/stun some adds that aren't mezzable...

Not to mention, most I've met are some pretty unique characters to pal around with.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I have my 111 bard and 111 enchanter on one account. I am now wondering if it's worth leveling the enchanter first. TBL was definitely more enchanter heavy (my bard took a back seat for a time).
  4. Riou EQResource

No mez allowed actually makes pulling harder and slower (it also doesn't help that some mobs cant be flung as well)

Outside of bad pathing areas, you still don't really need a puller for anything
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  5. RPoo Augur

I find it exhilarating when a handful of no CC mobs are inbound. I get to dps differently, and possibly tank!
  6. Vumad Cape Wearer

What?

I think you need to re-evaluate your understanding of our class. I think you greatly underestimate our abilities. We are a primary pulling class and we always have been.

We can more than just Mez. We can paci up to 115. We can banish, root and blur. We have a fade with a 5 minute reuse and a second with a 12 minute reuse. Heck, we can even use our low resist mezes as makeshift fade, although very risky, mezing yourself with glance or flash is extremely effective.

You are a puller. You should enjoy this expansion. Its for you (to grow).

This is why I was frustrated when our fade went to 8% mana. Not because of the cost or because something changed but rather that we were put in the same group as shaman and zerkers in the hieracy for determing our fade costs. The idea that we are put in the same group is unfathomable to me.
  7. Laronk Augur

You can still root and memblur and lots of stuff can be lulled
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Allayna like this.
  8. kizant Augur

Mez is crowd control and has zero to do with pulling. Enchanters are also great at pulling.
  9. Fian Augur

Good summary. I know enc can pull too. Pacify pulling isn't my favorite thing to do, but have had to dust it off due to mez immune mobs. Funny how no one is commenting that monks and bards are loving the pulling.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  10. kizant Augur

I stopped using pacify back during SoF maybe. It's not a bad spell but you don't really need it.
    Whulfgar likes this.
  11. Brek New Member

With "Rest the Dead" (undead pacify), SK pulling benefits also.
    Solidon likes this.
  12. Cloud the Third Augur

Well you also have alot of mobs that are not lullable which can make it hard for pulling. As a bard I sometimes have to pull a train (hope i don't get doted or snared) then use my aa blur knock-back lull ability since it is the only thing that will lull some of them to kick it away from the group then fade and go back to pick up the single punted mob. In the past unlullable mobs you would mez a single one and pull rest away before faded but without mez you fall back to that single aa that has like a min recast (and if you fail to split them on first attempt you have to fade and start over alot of the times)
    kizant likes this.
  13. Syylke_EMarr Augur

To be fair, mez is a great pulling tool
    Caell, Buri and RPoo like this.
  14. Maedhros High King

Good puller is not the solution, better tank is what you need.
    Whulfgar and Elyssanda like this.
  15. Syylke_EMarr Augur

A lot of mobs in ToV are rootable, too. Not all CC is mezzing ;)
  16. Mazame Augur

I find so many things with this post disturbing. As a chanter I LOVE TO PULL. your right giants are not mez-able. it might sock you but they have never been mez-able.

Ok where to start so many options as a chanter.

Pacify pull. you get singles to your group.

Punt / root adds

Charm a pet have it off tank

Put you back towards the mob and punt it towards you. Click Self Stasis click off buff and pull.

Ok maybe you don't like to pull.

Chanter have Adps / and can DPS as well. don't tell anyone but NET you can cast it on your self. Dot / Nuke melee

Ok maybe your not a dpsing chanter or a pulling chanter.

Load up some Stuns and Runes. chain cast runes on the tank and stuns on the mob Ya your not a healer but in a pinch you can do a dang good job of helping to keep a tank up if done right.

Ok maybe you didn't get to play a chanter during the Chanter tanking day and not learned the power of runes and stuns and it not your cup of tea.

I got one last thought. PET POWER. Charm a pet buff the hell out of it and what it eat stuff up. O ya if charm break it can be risky but O the Fun of living on the edge and rush it brings.

my point being "It puts me out of a job" is just a very poor statement. Think of it more as the exp lets you learn to play a real chanter and expand from the simple role of a mez bot.
    RPoo likes this.
  17. Sabrefist- Journeyman

Me do things, good pull, much enjoy
    RPoo likes this.
  18. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I didn't read this thread as directed at bards or monks, it was an enchanter upset.. my friends know I love pulling, it's a given..
  19. Lianeb Augur

A warrior and an arrow makes a great puller too!!
    Szilent, Funky, Drogba and 2 others like this.
  20. Niloiv Elder

As a bard, I find this expansion extremely easy to pull (and CC by in large is rather easy as well), I wish it were more challenging!