BAN Walk-Away BOT'ers!

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by shep569, Jan 4, 2020.

1. shep569 Journeyman

@Daybreak, its apparent the company continues to allow "Walk-away Bot'ers" in game so that you can consume that monthly subscription fee (if I'm wrong please do tell why they are doing it illegally without repercussion).
    But, for those of us Real Live Boxers (who don't use anything except raw skill & talent) its VERY annoying to log in at any hour of the day and Named to be camped by *non-responsive *non-played full action groups that never move for 10-24 hours......
    Not to mention the over-camped OLDER expansion named, where they are set up on timers to load in the exact moment (for Example: Naggy, Vox, Inny etc) Spawn and kill them, making it nearly impossible for players to obtain lets say, epic 1.0's or older quest lines.

There is no way your tech team does not notice this? Anyway, I think you should do something about this crap and do it fast. Now, this does exclude those who use programs to assist them while they LIVE BOX; because they are in Fact at the computer.
    Duder and Ghubuk like this.
  2. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Not saying I disagree with the sentiment, but just a point in fact, almost all old world names are on a +/- 8 hour timer. Means they spawn randomly within a 16 hour period (+/- 8 hours) from the kill time.

So not exactly 3 days, its 3 days +/- 8 hours. So people can't time them and just immediately log in and kill to the minute.
  3. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

As someone who has somewhat recently camped Fableds in places like Vex Thal, I can confirm this. I timed every kill to the minute, but the respawn times were all over the place. A few were up sooner than expected and others spawned much later while I slept, my rogue waiting silently in the corner of their room. I eventually got all the required veils and bracelets, though.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

What are walk away botters?
    Killaas_FV and Nennius like this.
  5. Grove Augur

My impression is that it is a group of player(s), alt(s) on separate accounts, mercenaries whose physical person(s) have walked away from keyboard(s) for extended period of time - hours even - leaving the game mechanics and/or an outside program kill and loot.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Ahhh ok so AFK botters.
  7. Dyna Elder

I have seen some that look like maybe in a spot way to long, but my thinking is we are not in a competition in Everquest we all play for our own gains and updates. I don't see why everyone's ways of play as long as they don't block me out of a named or something is not ok.

I have tried to figure out why anyone cares what anyone else is doing because in EQ we aren't killing one another nor is there a way to steal someones gains or loot and personally I don't care that I level way behind most people because what is the reward of being faster?

Each thing I do, and much of it is in past lower zones farming stuff or travel updates things many find boring is my fun, my play! I don't care what anyone else is spending their money to do in game this is what is fun for me. If someone is playing AFK they certainly didn't have any fun, but for them I guess just leveling to the top (boring) is what they are spending their EQ account $ for.
  8. JeffHanson Augur

There are bot groups in Overthere (ROS) on Emarr that prevent anyone from starting ROS progression. Because these groups are continuously killing by the lake, no diseased creatures ever spawn.

I have had bot groups prevent me from completing quest steps in other areas, especially Frontier Mountains (EoK).
  9. Sappas Journeyman

Well, there are multiple reasons I can think of right off the top of my head.
    1) They DO block named. I ran across 2 bot groups tonight (and for the past 3 days at least... heck these botters are there as I type this) doing that. One in GD and one in EW. The one in EW was actually camping at least 2 different named spots. Btw, I needed a drop from the GD named and a drop from one of the EW named. I've checked both of those camps over the past 3 days at various times and they were there... so, pretty sure they are running 24/7.
    2) Some bot groups I've seen just stand in one spot but some will run from spot to spot/camp to camp. This is a problem (beyond the obvious) since you will come in and see all of the mobs up, do a camp check, etc, then start killing. Then here comes this bot group in and trying to snag your mobs. Yeah, technically there are no camps and thus this aspect alone is not against the rules... still, it can be very frustrating.
    3) It desensitizes people in regards to game etiquette. First off, if a bot group comes in and starts killing what you feel is your mobs in your camp (like mentioned in 2) and you don't realize they are botting then you simply think they are jerks, get upset, probably leave, etc. However, that happens to you a few times and you are more likely to start doing it to others. And even if you realize it is a bot group, you now see that people are being allowed to afk bot and that apparently this is acceptable. And for some people afk botting probably seems WAY worse than other stuff like honoring camps, etc. Oh, you will allow someone to bot but I need to honor a camp or something else? I don't think that way and I'm sure many don't either, but I could see some doing it. Like those that sit in Kael and pull mobs to guards and then dps them for the kills. That would have been frowned on big time not long ago. Now I doubt anyone has even reported it. I mean, sure, they are killing mobs they probably couldn't ever kill on their own... and they are killing way faster, etc... but they are at least at the keyboard. It's game play/etiquette desensitization.
    4) It messes with the economy of the game. They flood the market with items. This can make SOE money I guess since they most likely are using that plat to buy krono from other players. See #5 though below.
    5) It just plain cheapens the game. Part of any game is reward vs effort. However, now you have many that are getting reward with very little effort. That diminishes every one else's efforts vs reward... partly because you lose a lot of the prestige that comes with your reward since no one but you knows for sure whether you actually earned your levels, gear, etc. Also all of that extra loot you may have worked hard to gather probably won't even sell in the bazaar, let alone sell for what it SHOULD be worth, since the market is being flooded by multiple botters. Same goes for those that do tradeskills, etc. and are out there trying to get drops, etc. while botters are pulling those pieces in 24/7 with virtually no effort... AND often preventing you from having the good camps for getting them.
    Anyway, sorry for such a long post. I kept the list as short as I could. However, some of this I felt was important to note.
  10. Dyna Elder

We all feel what we feel I guess, but I realize they don't enjoy their hours like I will and the effort and feeling of completion. It is between them and their self to me. Un;ess blocking Named.

i know that we have men and Women who go to war, they are deployed a year sometimes more, they want to play with their friends and the only way they can catch up is if they do more before they are deployed again.

Same for people with big Families and jobs with no time off, they try to keep level with their Friends so they can play with them.

I guess I feel sorry for them because they are not getting to really play more than anything else.

No problem to me it is not a game of chess.
  11. Sappas Journeyman

Again, they ARE blocking named... among other things.
    As for it just being poor souls who don't have time to play or will be deployed, etc... give me a break. That is extremely unlikely who is doing the botting. Every bot group I've seen in the new expansion have been 115 toons for some time now. They are also burning through the mobs in nothing flat so I doubt they are lacking gear or AAs either.
    Btw, today I seen a group that wasn't a bot group killing a named. I asked if they planned to be at the camp long and they said it wasn't their camp. That what they were doing was just running over whenever the bot group spawned a named and tagging it before the bot group could. While I admit that on the surface this made me laugh, it also concerned me. It's just more desensitization in regards to what is acceptable etiquette wise. I mean, here you are saying it's acceptable to bot. However, do you think it was okay for that other group to take a named that the bot group spawned? If you think it is okay then I think you probably have a contradiction in your view on the legitimacy of a bot group. If you don't think it is okay then you have a conflict in regards to effort vs reward. You would be basically saying that the bot group has earned that named in some fashion.
    Regardless of what your position is on that, surely you can see how this is a slippery slope in regards to game etiquette.
  12. code-zero Augur

I’m wondering how the OP doesn’t know that the correct term is “afk group”
  13. Warpeace Augur

Well, thats like asking everyone to use the correct term when describing a "box or a Bot". It just cant happen:(
    code-zero likes this.
  14. Nennius Curmudgeon

On the other hand, a confusing title attracted attention to the topic.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  15. Dyna Elder

Like I said we each get what we put in.
    I would feel different about the thing if it were my President or something instead of a agme.
  16. Luinne B`Haen Lorekeeper

banning botters will mean losing paid accounts (unless on test server). DBG needs all the income it can get off EQ. Not saying they will turn a blind eye on this, but it may be accidentally overlooked in order to claim plausible deniability when addressed.
  17. Wandor New Member

How do you figure? Unless it's on a TLP or current expansion, you don't have to have a paid account to run bot groups.