Server Discussion - Non Truebox rule set.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by dreamweaver, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Merry Christmas pedant, and may everyone you meet always discount you out of hand regardless of how good your points may be when you make a minor mistake too, because if you're so petty as to discount any point over a minor slip up, because you know humans err, then you deserve no forgiveness for your mistakes when you make them, and you will.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I think most players do not like Botting (Automation) just the cheaters want that, most players also like to have the option to box (Truebox or non-truebox) if they ever made a "NO-BOX" server - which is unlikely as enforcement of that would be rife with problems, I wouldn't even entertain it unless it also allowed multiple mercs to be used by one player, however I probably wouldn't even want to do that, I mean until they can make the pathing system work better that would just be a ticket to even more frustration & nightmares than mercs are presently (and they are already plenty bad enough) - pathing issues are the root of all evil in EverQuest in my humble opinion, if they never ever upgrade character graphics, or update the UI, but they fixed all the pathing problems? Well I would be happy as a pig in .....
  3. Brunlin Augur

I agree on the split between classic or a future expansion start such as POP or GOD, but i wouldnt want to see a split between a Truebox server or a non Truebox server. Btw, both or boxing server.

People here on the forums act like that a Truebox means a no box server. This isnt true at all. Also,it befuddles me,why peeps who are wanting to box cant,commit to multiple pcs, laptops, or even tablets as it doesnt take much skill or money to run multiple box setups, also if you have limited room, you can still easily 2 box or even 3 box with 1 pc and a laptop with a tablet if possible.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I can understand it from the perspective of someone who has a more traditional non-gaming family (even though I'm older and my offspring are all adults) as some players do feel "embarrassed" to have a large desk space with multiple computers on it dedicated to gaming or they have family members who are vocally unhappy with the player's hobby taking up so much visual real estate in the home, so for them their hobby only taking up one PC / Desk / Screen (maybe two) is more acceptable to their nearest & dearest, or at the least nets them less hassle.

My family have been acclimated to my gaming hobby for decades now, so them coming to visit & seeing a room pretty much dedicated to gaming (not the more familiar living room with a TV as the prominent entertainment device) with 2 L-shaped desks with 6 screens & 4 computers (my youngest still lives with me but is a PC/PS4 gamer too) is pretty much something that they are not surprised by and doesn't even raise so much as an eyebrow.

I think the slowly outgoing idea that gaming is something that children do is still very prominent & adults who game are still subject to quite a lot of negative stereotyping if they embrace it to the degree some of us do, even if a big screen tv & console is tolerated a lot more now.
  5. Machen New Member

As I've mentioned repeatedly, it isn't bad to run multiple PC's in classic, or kunark, or pop, or even OoW or TSS. It is VERY hard to box using multiple PC's successfully with no key broadcasting in the later expansions. There are so many more options and so much more input needed that what is easy in classic becomes a huge pain in the *ss by SoD.
    Brunlin likes this.
  6. That0neguy Augur

Just goes to prove, people dont really want no truebox. They want automation and think that a no truebox server would open that up.
  7. Machen New Member

Not going to deny it, I've posted in every thread on this for many years that I like key broadcasting. And yes, non truebox does mean key broadcasting is allowed. That's precisely what it means, since the key broadcasting ban is one of the specific truebox only features.

That said, key broadcasting is not automation.
  8. Machen New Member

I'll also mention that when I ask for a no truebox server, I am asking for a server that is just like every other no truebox server in terms of what is allowed and what is not. I think everyone would understand that that is what "no truebox" means. Same rules as live, same rules as Ragefire and Lockjaw, on what is allowed and not allowed boxing wise and automation wise.
  9. Jalerian Elder

I would love a non truebox server and would bring my 6 accounts back out to play!
    Preferred options: FV loot rules, AoCs, start later (at least Velious, but would prefer LDoN or DoN for instances).
    jeskola likes this.
  10. Xanadas Augur

I see "automation" being thrown around a lot in this thread. Let's be clear about what that means and what DBG thinks about it.

Automation: The usage of a device or software that controls or otherwise manipulates and maintains your characters actions by simulating input without the need for human presence. The most common type of automation is AFK XP grinding.

Daybreak's position on automation: Bannable offense regardless of server ruleset.

"Then how are so many people "automating" on Live or Ragefire without being banned?"

Because they aren't, by definition, automating. Daybreak has said many times that their delineating factor is "attended" vs "unattended" gameplay. Unattended gameplay (controlling the character without the presence of a human behind a keyboard), is not allowed under any circumstance or ruleset.

So what are people doing on live if they aren't "automating"?

My answer would simply be: "boxing". Sure, they're using input-assistance type software, but that has never been explicitly declared as a bannable offense at least in my knowledge and experience (playing 19 years). I won't get into the other piece of software that goes much farther than just key-broadcasting, but again, as long as they meet the criteria of being at the computer, behind the keyboard, directing input, this type of gameplay is currently (tacitly) legal (exploits notwithstanding of course; anyone who exploits is scum and should be permanently banned).
    code-zero likes this.
  11. sauron69 Lorekeeper

What’s with the push for fv loot rules? Sounds like a terrible idea for a box server. All that raid loot would be going to the guild bank instead of boxes lol.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Won't someone please think of the poor kronolords.
  13. Gugagan Lorekeeper

Non True box with FV rule set starting in classic = a shait load of players boxing and buying Krono's = More money to keep EQ alive and keep developing it.

The only way you will get people on a TLP to stick around until it reaches live and not burn out is with FV rule set and a slower expansion unlock speed then Selo's. Selo's just burns people out to fast.

PS: Adding merc's at an earlier stage would also help late comers to catch up = even more krono sales and a steady influx of new players to the servers.
  14. jordune Augur

personally my dream server would be

boxable
    free trade rules
    aoc
    6 month expansions with auto unlock timer after progression targets are taken care off
    reduced pick lvl ( 18 to spawn a pick mabby ?? )

now to make this really attractiver mabby do

start in luclen
    all toons defiant geared and 51/50
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

Of course they are. You won't find much support for your argument here.
  16. Xanadas Augur

Of course there are people who ARE automating, and I know people, personally, who have been banned for it. My post above is not about justifying it one way or another. I was explaining DBGs policies towards it and clarifying the terminology involved.
  17. C3lowz Augur

I don't like boxing, especially on TLP servers.

But.

It has been a while since we had a TLP that allowed boxing. So I am all game for them making the next TLP server disabled Truebox. Or at the very least 2 servers, one with, and one without Truebox :-D

Separate servers with different Truebox rule sets IMO will both have a relatively similar population in terms of Player Characters. Those who want to box 3+ characters obviously will go to the Disabled Truebox server. Those wanting to Solo/Duo (me) will head to the Truebox server. This seems like a Win/Win situation for DBG. I hope they put this into play for the next TLP servers.
  18. HoodenShuklak Augur

Have they stated if "boxing" = macaroni (like Live) or it's just no Truebox?

Because really, macaroni seems to be unmitigated on Mangler now.
  19. Machen New Member

At this point, it would be foolish for them to try to do something in between truebox and no truebox. If they do it, it needs to have the same rules and restrictions as live, not something in between. They can't enforce no macaroni quest on truebox as it is, it would be foolish to try to put out a server with boxing allowed but macaroni quest disabled. (And I've been in favor of them doing such a server in the past, but the reality now is they cannot pull it off, and they'd only be punishing those who choose to follow the rules.)
  20. Grakt New Member

That would be great. People who want to play their own raids can go there. It won't eliminate the problem. A lot of Botters do it for monetary gain, selling loot rights to non-botters, buying Krono to pay for their account or do other things that are violations of the EULA. It would help with problems like the one in this thread posted today about Mangler. This Non-Truebox Botter is killing most of the Open World targets and selling the loot rights.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/vm-user-on-mangler.262111/