Not A Bug LACK OF EXPERIENCE

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Yiaden, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Angahran Augur

Oh what excitement, oh what fun.
    Mindlessly repeating the same quest over and over and over ad nauseum!

I can imagine the enjoyment as every raider on every server tries to do this quest to recover the xp lost from raiding.

So why exactly did DBG bother with any other zones ?

Changing how people gain xp after 20 years is a dumb idea!
  2. Brutalis-trak Journeyman

pet pulling ftw, i am 1 level down as sk from rest of group from all the deaths early on lol what can i say , im a slow learner lol just stock up on pet supplies and sacrifice him to the dots and stuff , stupid mechanic since it basically kills you before the mob ever catches up, would love to have the power to dot a mob and have it dead in 4 ticks of the dot .
  3. Tucoh Augur

I think the new experience system in ToV is a bit awkward but I don't mind seeing them do something new.

That being said, none of the content in ToV requires you to be level 115 and I got 115 a few days after release so I wouldn't say ToV has a "lack of experience" problem.
  4. Velisaris_MS Augur

Except for, you know, most of the gear.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Yinla like this.
  5. Tucoh Augur

[IMG]

Look, you can do the content, you just can't use any of the rewards! I'm up to about 30 pieces of T2 / T3 gear I can't use on my various boxes, much of this is self-inflicted because I switched to my berserker team after doing progression the first time instead of leveling my main team to 115.
  6. Cloud the Third Augur

It was a great idea, your doing it wrong if you are repeating the same quest over and over they don't give good exp more than once. It maybe could use a little work but for a first attempt not bad. I like seeing that people who are max level for the expansion have played the expansion. I originally planned to just grind in GMM to get to 115 but after 1 level of that and finding out how much achievements were giving for exp I changed strats.

I like seeing that most people who are 115 have got like 90% of the expansion achievements done. It was a great idea for the game. Loot may be an issue with lots of unusable drops until level 115 but outside that and a handful of bugged quest it has gone well.

You just have to remember when you go into something new you can't expect it to work exactly the same as everything before it.
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

I get where you're coming from, but the truth is, you're not a casual player...you're a hardcore player. Hardcore players are going to: 1. reach max level, 2. do all the progression, 3. get fully geared. And they're going to do it within a couple of months of release, if not sooner. You're not a casual player.

I define casual players as people who only play a couple of hours a couple of nights a week...maybe they go "weekend warrior" and binge a few hours on the weekends and holidays. They're not in a big guild, if they're even in one at all (other than the "Novices of..." guild). They probably don't have a big group of friends to play with...most of their friends are probably casual like they are.

Casual players might do some SOME of the content in PUGs...maybe they buy a couple of pieces of T1 gear. The truth is, they're not progression people...they like to grind...sometimes because it's all they have time for. They're not going to reach max level during the life of this expansion, if ever. And DBG just took away what they're used to with the crappy xp...unless they enjoy grinding in 2-3 year old content.

This is now the second expansion in a row that DBG shunned that group of players. TBL did it by locking everything behind progression...now ToV is taking away the one sure way casual players can level. They bought TBL and got royally screwed. Then they most likely bought ToV because they heard that there were no locked zones...they didn't have to do progression. And they still end up getting screwed.

I bet they think long and hard about buying the next one, and that's a problem for DBG.
  8. Tucoh Augur

We probably agree on the fundamentals, but I'm not sure what argument I made that you're addressing here, so let me state the following:

There might be some folks who do "The Way Back Home" a few hundred times and totally shun the very easy EW mission that has a guaranteed T3 drop and rains T1 gear, and avoid T1/T2 named, but most people who are not TBL raid geared will get quite a bit of upgrades from ToV that they either can't use because they are T2/T3 gear or maybe shouldn't use because they are T1 gear that has a recommended value that nerfs the gear, possibly making it worse than TBL gear (I didn't test this myself.

This is a pretty big disappointment for any casual person who is looking to level to 115 but isn't helped by the gear they're collecting.
  9. Velisaris_MS Augur

I wasn't so much as arguing with you as expanding on what you said. That casual player base, in order to use whatever rewards they may get out of ToV, will have to do the tasks/missions in order to reap the benefits of those rewards...because Daybreak took away what their game was: grinding. The achievements are the only viable option for xp once you hit 111...xp grinding is going to turn off the player that only plays a few hours a week. Daybreak is trying to force players to play the game one way and seems to be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

And to your point of farming the EW mission...I don't know about your server, but on mine there are groups of raid geared players (TBL gear) that are getting smoked by that mission. So, I have to call shennanigans on your claim of it being "easy" for casuals to farm. That might vary from server to server though.
    Tucoh likes this.
  10. Tucoh Augur

I'm on Bristlebane. Here's me boxing that mission. Are you sure we're talking about the same mission? It's totally trivial, I spend most of my time just waiting for the guy to swoop down than I do fighting anything.

svann likes this.
  11. Cloud the Third Augur

They must be really bad then. Maybe level 110 in raid gear could have a little trouble. I did all of the hero missions with level 113 and lower people so was a little hard doing say GD at level 112 (most were not even raid geared) but at 115 even in group gear most of the events are pretty easy if you know what you are doing.
  12. Riou EQResource

It's not really different then mindlessly repeating the same mob over and over ad nauseum, except bot groups can't AFK and do it like they can mindlessly killing mobs 24/7
  13. smash Augur

There are raiders and there are raiders, in many guilds there really people who more or less are free riders, but guilds gotta accept them, if they not the top guild on a server. They are in effect casuals. Many casuals will be better than them.

So they not got the edge to perform.

Then there are casuals, who not got raid equipment, and well the difference on melee gear between casuals and raiders are pretty big.

Then many casuals are not used to the tempo the missions in ToV and TBL happens in, example EW. You do not get a break during the event, it is fight fight fight fight, while old missions/HA, you had breaks underway to recover.
    Also there emotes.

All 4 missions are fight until the end. If one thing for them go wrong, it is more or less start over.

That in total will make it extremely hard for them to do. We on the other hand are used to it.
  14. svann Augur

Now that would be OP. You would have max aa the day after you hit 115. They do give xp but not alot. I think redoing a partisan got me 25aa on just the turnin.
  15. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

Everquest has not been a grouping game for many, many years now ... no matter how many times you say it is ... it is still no longer true. On 20% of the servers you have a healthy population, the other 80% you are either LFG for 8 hours or solo/molo/boxing the entire time. On those same 80% servers you can say you are making a group and either get crickets or 1 person who might reply after 2 hours.

So everyone saying get/make/find a group ... you are clearly on one of the 20% of the servers that have bodies on them. Hell, Fippy has one person on it, ONE ... and they log in everyday. When I log in it doubles the population.
  16. svann Augur

edit: sorry I forgot this is the bug reporting forum. please take discussions to the bashing you over the head forum.
  17. Cloud the Third Augur

You know what the big problem is? Gear drops way to much. Missions drop like 3+ pieces of gear and normal named can drop 3 items (1 armor, 1 other loot, and trade skill piece).
  18. libre New Member

My concern about this exping method is that it encourages you to rush through progression. A friend and I usually do all the progression together. We usually spread the progression out over several months so we always have something interesting to do in between exp grinding sessions. Like everyone else, we don't want to be below the max level though. Especially since most of your key AAs are locked at 115.
    So, like everyone else, we will now be churning out all the progression in a matter of weeks and then having nothing to do but exp grind for the next 5 months or so. You can't even really look forward to farming new gear since most of the better stuff is player made anyway and you can just buy it in the bazaar.
    All of that said, I still like this expansion a TON better than TBL. We never even got to see any zones past the first one (Stratos) in that expansion. We tried several pu groups for the flagging but none ever ended with a win. Maybe at 115 we will be able to do it with just the two of us and thus give us something to do? Anyway, at least we are seeing most of the zones in this new expansion. Plus we get to actually do progression in it... even if encouraged to rush through it.
  19. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

You're looking at this all wrong. You aren't "supposed to level by doing missions".

You are just given a ONE TIME BONUS for doing the missions. The normal expected experience is through killing mobs and we're getting what we are supposed to be getting.

The biggest problem for the lack of experience is the fact that the mob levels in most zones isn't as high as it should be. Mobs should be level 116-119 for non-named in most of these zones, instead, most of the mobs are the same level as TBL. Which explains why experience in TBL and GMM is about the same per kill.
  20. Xslia Elder

Dear Darkpaw devs and designers,

Can you please address(review/contemplate) the punishment that is in the form of experience loss from a death to experience gain for mob kills in ToV.

For the first time in umpteen years of play, I am seeing a “World of Warcraft” mentality starting where if it’s not perfect first run people /quit out.

Raiders are starting a countdown the # of death’s they will sustain during a raid week and then say, time to log, I’ve reached my xp loss for the week. It will take me 5 hours to get it back this weekend and that’s all the time I have to be on to be able to restore my loss, another death puts me below where I started this week.

I seen people come unglued at 90% rezz’s vs 96%, when was never an issue before.

I will have to say I believe our teams raid tanks are very much impacted with the amount of time they have to restore any loss, some of us can gate out when the tanks die! Heaven’s forbid if someone is called and they forget a rezz (or even 2) and their corpse expires… Honestly the grind to get 10% back is well, just harsh, let along anything more.

A lot of us would really appreciate rethinking what can be done to help with the regular experience per kill.

Thanks for letting me complain

Xslia
    Infinit Guild Leader
    Sponsor of Public Raids on Tunare