Luck Stat

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by bobokatt, Nov 25, 2019.

1. bobokatt Augur

Hey folks. I was wondering... does going from an item that has 3 luck to 5 luck mean anything in actual returns? Significant I mean? Is the luck stat a percentage based stat? I currently have a belt, shoulder, face, finger and charm that all have the luck stat. I don't raid. Theoretically each would give me 5 luck each for a max of what should be 25. Naturally I don't have them all maxed. In fact they all have roughly 3 luck for a total of 15. So is the difference whatever it between 15 luck and 25 luck something to spend countless hours on?
    Kurage_of_Luclin likes this.
  2. Syylke_EMarr Augur

My understanding is that Luck works in 10s. So 0-10 gives the same benefit, 11-20 gives the same benefit, etc. So if the increase would put you into the next bracket, then it would give returns, otherwise it would just be a stepping stone to the next bracket.
  3. Dagum Elder

Depends on your purpose... Luck goes into dps, tanking and healing. However; healing is healing a lucky critical heal is going to /meh in importance to the dps upgrade. Supposedly the luck goes into lucky parry, dodge, etc... I am unsure on how it parses thou...

What I do know is if you are a dps class, then you care about luck. You kick, beg, and scream for the dps upgrade. So it's class based really. On my druid I'm /meh about the whole luck thing as it's cool, but I'm a healer/dps/utility mud puddle. So on this class even though it'd be nice to have max luck, but can overlook it for other upgrades and reasons. On a dps class I consider luck one of my main stats and will do whatever I can to max it.
  4. Tucoh Augur

luck is generally a minor effect. Depending on your class going from say, 30 luck (random luck gear) to 60 luck (fully stacked) will probably be a few thousand DPS.
  5. Szilent Augur

And fishing and foraging and gold loots!
  6. Svann2 The Magnificent

and the luck with the ladies!
    edit: or is that just me?
    klanderso likes this.
  7. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Last time I mentioned to a lady how much Luck is on my gear, she walked away :(
  8. Dagum Elder

few thousand dps = 3000 damage per second.

Everyone knows the rules of the forums. If there is no complaining; then it is too good to be true and everyone is hush hush hoping that it doesn't get nerfed. 3000 dps undisced? for a warrior or a rogue? What class...

Surely your not trying to downplay this... Surely your not trying to say that 30 luck will be 3000dps on a cleric and 3000 dps on a warrior and 3000 dps on a rogue... Who knows maybe that is what your saying... Also let's remember that your talking damage per second...

Your minor effect is funny. Now it does go to healing, but let's be honest with healing. Either the heal makes the guy go to full or it doesn't. After one heal you throw another weather you need it or not. Sure luck goes into it, but /shrug no matter how much you heal the dps determines how long your fighting the mob. Anyways that's not here or there...

The truth is that luck can't be quantified as easy as you make it out to be. It's different per class. Sadly it is the only thing that some classes look at. If you don't tank and don't heal then you only look at dps. If 30 luck = 3000 dps then that's all that matters. However; it is insulting to say that it is minor.

If you want to talk about minor let's look at +25 to damage that a dev tried to leave off of items.. Look at the outrage and comments over that. It's poor form to undersell the luck stat so much.
    Jordis likes this.
  9. Tucoh Augur

[IMG]
    Go parse 30 luck vs 60 luck and come back and show us the results.
    Fenthen and Sancus like this.
  10. Dagum Elder

Your

Your the one claiming that it's 3000 dps from 30 to 60. You show us the parse where you got that number and what class you used. So that you can call it minimal...

[/quote]You wrote: luck is generally a minor effect. Depending on your class going from say, 30 luck (random luck gear) to 60 luck (fully stacked) will probably be a few thousand DPS.[/quote]

Which means nothing because you said "Depending on your class it's a few thousand DPS. You want to see my parse? Your the one claiming it is minor and 3k dps with no facts, no data, no nothing... For all we know from your post your cleric gained 3k dps and that's the number you bragged and showed us about.
  11. Tucoh Augur

Sancus is doing all the hard work in this beta thread:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/tbl-chase-loot.260089/page-4#post-3846362
    So I figured I'd ride his coattails and do some theoryquesting. Based on the numbers above, 30 luck gives you 15% less crit damage than 60 luck, and both trigger 50% of the time. So an average crit at 30 luck would be
    (55705 * 125%) * (100% + 9%) * 15% + (((3.75 + 5.5) / 7) * 3000) * 15% less damage.
    Or
    (55705 * 1.25) * (1 + 0.09) * 0.15 + (((3.75 + 5.5) / 7) * 3000) * 0.15
    Or
    ‭69,631.25‬ * 1.09 * 0.15 + 3,964‬ * 0.15
    Or
    11,384 + 594

or 12152 less damage. This happens 50% of the time, so the average cast of Ethereal brand at 30 luck would be 6076 less damage than the average cast at 60 luck.

If my math is correct and your main nuke is getting boosted by 6k, you'll probably be getting a boost of around 3k DPS from 30 luck on a wizard when taking into account your big dissident hits, the global cooldown, whatever other crap wizards have etc.

On a cleric focused on nuking that'll be significantly less since instead of casting a 50k base damage nuke you'll be slinging 10k to 20k nukes.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

My take on luck in any battle scenario is that luck more highly favors damage taken or damage healed than damage dealt. This is simply because of the large health gap between players and NPCs.

Thanks for the theoryquest, Tucoh. More DPS is more DPS, regardless of the situation. Luck is not difficult to raise. My box team is all 50+ luck and I notice a difference in survivability. I have not parsed anything. I just aim to maximize stats that make sense. Luck is one of those stats.
  13. Sancus Augur

It looks like the scaling of luck was nerfed with ToV's launch. Up to 30 - 39 it's the same as it was, but after that bins have about half the increase they had before (+2 or +3%, rather than +5%). 40 - 49 is now 22 to 27% critical damage, rather than 25 to 30%. 50 - 59 is now 25 to 30%, rather than 30 to 35%. 60 - 69 is now 27 to 32%, rather than 35 to 40%. Here's what that looks like in chart form:

[IMG]

I'll run longer parses with 60 luck to verify the chance is still 50%. I haven't been looting group non-visibles, but I'll start working on that so I can test higher luck bins. If luck continues scaling in this way, it'll take 90 luck to achieve the benefit previously afforded by having 60 luck.

Would've been nice to see patch notes for this.
    Jordis, eqgamer, Cicelee and 5 others like this.
  14. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Whats the over/under that it was only the caster luck bonus that was stealth nerfed?
    Lannin likes this.
  15. smash Augur

I am kind of not surprised if there has been a nerf.
  16. Tucoh Augur

I kind of am. I figured that TBL's introduction of luck started low with a boost of 10k or so DPS to DPS classes from max luck, and probably similar improvement for healer / tank classes, and ToV would increase that moderately.

I think until they decide a way to make increasing luck something people can do outside of raids (There are tons of ways to do this) they should keep the impact of luck to a modest level.
    Lannin and Szilent like this.
  17. Beimeith Lord of the Game

You can literally get the same amount of luck in group content as you can in raids. Your comment makes no sense.

The idea that the bonus was somehow "too high" is ridiculous on it's face. Casters passively have a crit damage bonus of ~450%. Luck adding an additional 40% is not even 10% of that total, and accounts for a much smaller amount of our overall damage given that:

1) Luck only fires half of the time we crit.
    2) We only crit about half of the time we cast.
    3) So many of our mods don't crit either.

As it is now, we are going to gain more crit damage bonus from buying 3 new ranks of Destructive Fury AAs (3x5) than from Luck, and it takes a whole lot more time and effort to get max luck than it does to buy 3 ranks of DF.
    Sancus likes this.
  18. Tucoh Augur

I meant increasing the luck stat on raid gear outside of raids. As in, you loot a piece of raid gear with 8 luck and perform some task or spend some resource to get that up to 10 luck. Right now it's not a big deal that maxing luck requires raid drops, because like you say luck is a third order benefit.

I agree with everything else you said.
  19. Sancus Augur

It looks like the scaling decreases even more past 60. Kizant found that at 70 luck the crit damage range is 29% to 32%, and that's what I'm seeing as well. I don't have enough new items to hit 80 yet, but he was seeing 30 to 33% there.

If it continues scaling at this rate the max luck in ToV (110 luck) will be 33% to 36% critical damage, less than the 35% to 40% achievable in TBL.
    kizant and menown like this.
  20. Cicelee Augur

So what you are saying is that the older your character gets, the less chance you have of getting lucky even if you have new things you own and have.

Sure sounds like love and marriage to me...
    Buster_Shruggs likes this.