Server Maintenance / Server Down Time Frames

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lisard, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Lisard Silly

You guys should give Larger Down time windows (just give yourself an extra 2 hours to what ever your expected down time is. so if its a 4 hour down time, just say 6. that way when you inevitably need more time, like always, you are covered. and if you happen to end early...you can make many more people happy. "oh wow they finished ahead of schedule"....rather then the current having to postpone server ups by 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours....

jus' sayin. is just good PR.
  2. Darchon_Xegony Augur

They very well may have done that with their 4 hour estimate...
  3. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

When I worked in software development we called it the 'Scotty Factor'.

Kirk: Scotty how long to fix those engines?
    Scotty: At least an hour capn'.
    Kirk: You've got 20 minutes.

You always pad your estimate in advance. The amount you pad is called the 'Scotty Factor'.

Things just inevitably go wrong more often than not.
  4. Gribble New Member

OH MY GOD, WTH, I TOOK TODAY OFF FROM WORK TO PLAY AND YOU GUYS ARE DOWN. YOU GUYS WENT BEYOND YOUR STATED MAINT. WINDOW I DEMAND FREE XP AND A TOTAL REFUND FOR THE MONTH OF DEC.

/Sarcasm off

I think Lisard has a wonderful point.
    papachooby likes this.
  5. Lisard Silly

DBG needs to add 2 hours onto their "scotty factor"
    KarmaKitty and MasterMagnus like this.
  6. ArtremasEQ Augur

I'm sure they do. Though they also want to get it up fast as can I'm sure.

However if something goes very wrong, not much can do. I'm pleased they are being as communicative about it as they currently are. In the past it was WAY worse. (think Sony)

20 yr old architecture / infrastructure that is probably somewhat 'Fragile'... (despite upgrades and changes along the way, its prob still not a 're-write' !).
  7. Slackmage Apprentice

Can we get a round of applause for
    klanderso

On point with updates, in advance :eek:
    I think most of us hated the lack of communication for literally a decade or two lol. Please keep this going. Fix the rest too and so on... but letting us know is appreciated.
  8. Pano Augur

Can we also have a new feature at server select saying how many times we pushed the Play EverQuest button and have rankings.
    Goburs, Ayoheee, Nniki and 4 others like this.
  9. bortage spammin lifetaps

Achievements for trying to log into locked servers, plus a leaderboard
    papachooby likes this.
  10. Frai New Member

You mean 6.
  11. espy New Member

Just look at this as time to leave the house if they cant fix it, cancel your time off and go back to work in fact just play less and do more in real life. This world is full of much better things, and if they do not care enough to be honest just walk away.
  12. Kneeo Journeyman

Klanderso sits on a throne of lies!!!!

(servers still down even beyond the 90-minute extension)
    Absolutt likes this.
  13. Jondalar Augur

Er you mean 150 minute extension and going.
    Kneeo likes this.
  14. Noonien New Member

As every time, the european players are the idiots.
    2 times this week off in prime time.
    What I really dont understand. Why do you have test environment ?
  15. Lisard Silly

test server? how does that work!?
  16. bortage spammin lifetaps

There's a lot of things you can only test with a big pile of people hammering it, I imagine there just weren't enough players on beta to stress test everything
    Archery likes this.
  17. Lisard Silly

el wuto? they coulda sent this expansion to the test server from beta to see what borked on the 16th, then fixed these issues on the 17th, then posted it to live on the 18th =P

-u has many players who woulda and have /testcopys who woulda instantly saw the broken stuff =P much like they did on the 18th
    papachooby likes this.
  18. Raccoo Augur

19. Goburs The Filthy Casualz Leader

No.
  20. Bludmop New Member

I think Klanderso had run out of his monthly post allowance, or too embarrased to post about more delays
    Herf likes this.