Selo 2.0

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hateseeker, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Hateseeker Augur

You might think that this is early, but in another 12 months Selo will be close enough to Live that it may as well be Live as far as move TLP players are concerned (IMO). And since it likely takes at least 6 months lead time to even rush a new TLP I think it's worth looking at now.

Those of you that would be willing to come back for Selo 2.0, what would bring you back?
    For me, it has to have all that Selo has and more, nothing removed, essentially:

1. Rare spawn bonus must carry over
    2. XP bonus must carry over of course, maybe a little faster or with an AA autogrant every month (say, 50 AA granted every month). That is not unprecedented, Planetside 2 does something similar with certificates. Even with the XP bonus I think it'd be nice to get AA a bit faster on the 2nd go. Especially for alts, and alts/boxes is part of the draw.
    3. Minimum of PoP start, preferably a GoD start
    4. 5 or 6 week unlocks - not because 1 month is too fast on a per expansion basis, but just so the server overall will not be done in a flash, especially with the later start
    5. Open trade loot, or if not, double drops on all mobs, including and especially raid mobs. that includes double flag drops

Needless to say this is aimed at people that actually want to come back for another Selo.
  2. Rothj Augur

Personally I want a luclin start(or kunark), and I think the initial expansion should be 2 months instead of one due to the time to level and get established. I don't care about any of the other aspects a whole lot but double exp and rare spawn is fun.

Faster exp is going to accelerate the demise of this server always, so just be aware that this is going to be a 1-2 month experience no matter what you do.
  3. Ulain Journeyman

Three months is probably too long for most expansions, but the 1 month unlocks have been brutal. Not logging on for a week for whatever reason means losing time on 25% of an expansion. 6, or even 8 would be so much more manageable and less stressful.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  4. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Double loot, not half lockouts.

But this probably isn't feasible with the way EQ is setup.
  5. HoodenShuklak Augur

The counter to that is... some expansions are worth losing.
  6. Machen New Member

Not everyone can schedule their vacation during whenever PoR is live on Selos..
    Ulain, Aneuren and Accipiter like this.
  7. yober Elder

Thankfully some of us had vacations scheduled for us.
  8. Meridian Augur

Another server as dead as Selo would be awesome!
  9. HoodenShuklak Augur

Coirnav is deader and miragul is as dead, so really you get your pick of dead servers from the entire 65 to 85 landscape ranging from agnarr to miragul.

Enjoy!
    Ulain likes this.
  10. Rotlust Augur

This 100%. Selo, as is, is poverty and divorce. You have to raid literally every single day.

Raids should drop double if not tripple loot as well as double/tripple things like phosphene.

If this can't be done in lieu of double lockouts, a new selo will be miragul. Ghost town by day five.

I also agree with autogranted xp or double/tripple what xp even is now. You have to raid every day and level every day to keep your head above water.
  11. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

3 months per unlock, but expansions unlock by level block starting at 60.

Jan - Classic, Kunark, Vellious, Luclin
    April - Planes, LoY, LDoN, Gates
    July - Omens, DoN, DoDH, PoR
    October - TSS, TBS
    January - SoF
    April - SoD, Underfoot

This prevents the doldrums that you experience with ldon, don, and por by letting you have other content to do at the same time, but also doesn't blast you through later longer expansions before you can blink. Keep the xp and rare boost, short lockouts, and AoC in place.
  12. Machen New Member

This is why they shouldn't do it. Three months in PoR is still three months in PoR, even if you unlock the other expansions with it. No one should ever be subjected to three months of PoR, it's cruel and unusual.
  13. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

So spend the first week getting signets/trials and start hitting Anguish.
    Then spend a week pushing DoN to get your crit and resist AA from progression.
    Spend a week getting DSK flagged and start knocking out Vule for your Demi keys.
    A week doing all the blood mobs (while still hitting anguish and don dragons to get a decent baseline)
    Spend two months filling out in Demi. Just ignore PoR if you don't want to deal with it.

Just because the expansion exists doesn't mean you *must* raid it. With PoP and GoD open I wouldn't expect to see anybody doing LDoN raids
    Yinla likes this.
  14. Machen New Member

No one is going to raid content that doesn't give them the best available gear, unless they can't beat the content that does. People will raid anguish for 2.0 orbs and to fill in slots that don't have PoR gear yet, but only when deathknell is on lockout. Basically no different than when regular TLP's progress to PoR.
  15. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

If a guild is going to choose to raid an unenjoyable zone, having a less loot dense experience, for a marginal stat increase over a more enjoyable zone, with greater depth and breadth of loot... that sounds like a "you" problem and not a "me" problem.
  16. Hateseeker Augur

I think 3 months is too long, but, there is a compromise. 2 months, but skip the unpopular expansions. For example, if a PoP start, then after 2 months open straight to GoD. then after DODH, straight to TSS skipping PoR.

I'd rather have 6 weeks and skip LoY and PoR though, and double/triple loots.
  17. Machen New Member

Don't pretend it's a "me" problem... It's an Everquest player problem.

Ask any of the guilds that played through POR how many times they chose to raid anguish when deathknell was off lockout. The answer will consistently be, almost never. I've personally played through PoR with five different guilds and never saw it happen a single time.
  18. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Double lockouts are the number 1 thing they would need to get rid of. Ideally double loot would replace it, but even just having people be "undergeared" would be fine. EQ is a really easy game and being in Full BIS gear isn't really necessary.

Starting in a later era would be a huge mistake IMO. SoV is the ideal start point IMO. We already have plenty of later era TLPs and with Selo style lockouts it will quickly be in the later expansions for the ones who want to play them.

Definitely make LDoN, DoN and PoR 2 week expansions. All those expansions are really just content patches for the previous expansion.

All of DoN the first time takes like 6 hours wtf are you talking about "a week". Then it takes like 45 mins each week to do the worthwhile loot mobs.
  19. Rothj Augur

Any kunark, velious, or luclin start will make this server popular. Starting with pop in the game is a huge mistake because honestly pok was a mistake. People used to complain about fast travel with pok all the time but we've sort of accepted pop as part of the golden age so it gets overlooked.

Pop start is a mistake because pok kills the low level experience.
  20. Hateseeker Augur

That kind of seems like it doesn't match up, part of the Selo set is 1 month unlocks (I'd like 6 weeks, but that's to make the overall server last longer over time, not delay between individual expansions). So Selo seems to be targeted at the mid-level expansions, and even if you start in Classic you'll be in PoP fast and books will be there very soon. It just seems like there's likely to be other server releases for 3 or 6 month unlocks that will start in Classic