Expressly authorized 3rd party programs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Speckle, Dec 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speckle Journeyman

Which one(s) are?
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

None. Quit trying to cheat.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Depends which server you are playing on.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  4. Speckle Journeyman

Playing on FV. Got a 7 day suspension for doing Slayer in Crescent Reach while tabbed out because I didn't reply to a GM. Need an "expressly authorized" 3rd party program to provide an audio trigger in order to avoid a suspension or even ban in the future.
  5. Winnowyl Suffering is optional.

You ... you can set up an audio trigger in game to let you know that you have a tell.
  6. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

You don't need an "expressly authorized" third party program to provide audio triggers when you are tabbed out. Make a audio trigger in game with "tells you," and a appropriately annoying sound effect. You can make custom wav files online for free with the toon's name if you wish or scroll through all your active accounts quickly to figure out who sent you a tell. Make sure all your toons are logging.
  7. Speckle Journeyman

I don't get "tells you," when I get a tell.

Speckle: test
    Zabam: Sorry, I am A.F.K. (Away From Keyboard) right now.
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

Have someone send you a tell and note what text is used. Put that in an audio trigger. I have used "Tells you" for several years and it works perfectly for me.
    Yinla likes this.
  9. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

How do you do a slayer while tabbed out?

Also tell windows use the "->" format for tells but it's not visible ingame.
  10. Speckle Journeyman

Stand close to mobs that are KoS with a merc out, pet would also work but character is a Ranger.
  11. Qbert Gallifreyan

12. Petalonyx Augur

None, because they are not controlled by DBG, and could at any moment change into things that have or may have the capacity to provide serious cheats.

Use at your own risk.

The EQ culture and longstanding precedent allows for the use of many 3rd party programs, but NONE of those are risk free, even if they may be used by the majority.

Just my opinion on the matter.
    Quatr and Nennius like this.
  13. Greymantle Augur

Well in the past the message has been , as long as the program does not modify the game or some such. Therefore programs that parse, ie read the log file are not bannable. So programs like GINA can be used. Magelo and Allakazam have a reader that parses toon stats and gear. Gameparse is another for monitering damge and such.There is a web version that parses the outputfiles for tradeskill recipes, to help figure out what your missing in your drive to 350ts.
    EQresouces has one that parses the outputfile for inventory managment .He has advertized it on these boards.
    Just stay away from anything like macro generaters, or things that input INTO the game.
  14. Numiko Augur

You were suspended for using a merc to kill things while AFK, not because you failed to answer a GM.

It used to be a grey area for a long time and GM's would turn a blind eye to such activity but about 4 or 5 years ago they changed the rules and made using mercs to exp or farm while AFK illegal and a suspendable offence.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  15. Speckle Journeyman

Right, unattended gameplay. Not being able to tab out on a server that isn't even true-box is a pretty extreme standard for unattended, "longer than a few seconds" is simply crazy, tabbing out to look up a step of a quest violates the stated policy, you are supposed to log out. I was actually suspended for not replying to a GM.

Lead GM Emwon: Players are required to respond to a GM at any point while a character appears to be active in-game.

I have no problem being at my keyboard to kill 5000 or 10000 of a type of mob, it's just not going to have my undivided attention. At the time of my suspension I was playing chess.
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

Well, now you know.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Dythan like this.
  17. Balthen Lorekeeper

You can be tabbed out for very long periods of time, not just a "few seconds". What you can't be doing is having mobs die and be tabbed out. I have cast invis on myself and tabbed out to do research for very long periods of time, all legal. What you did was text book unattended play, your character was at work while you were not. Like others have said, don't do that....
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Duder like this.
  18. Windance Augur

Should never have tied the chase loot evolution to hunter achievements. No one wants to sit there for days on end killing trivial mobs 30-60 levels below them. Is it really surprising that folks AFK and let the KOS mobs kill themselves?
  19. Laronk Augur

Really for the gm to show up and suspend you, someone has to report you first.

Think about it.

As far as official list of third party programs, it'll never happen because the program could change the next day. You can turn off your tell window then make a new chat window and have all tells filtered to it for tells you. Then you could also have GINA setup to make a noise and show the tell on screen as an overlay (just turn off that part of your GINA when you're not tabbed out for long periods of time)

At least one of the GMs also will /say (which is fing stupid because so much stuff goes to say it belongs in the spam window, no one communicates with say) im not sure if that gm sends a tell first because I've never gotten afk checked.

TLDR no offical list, but you can use gina
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  20. Speckle Journeyman

From the Terms of Service: You may not develop, share, or use any software, program, macro, or interface that modifies the game play in any way or that gives a user any kind of advantage over other end users, except as expressly authorized by Daybreak.

If no interface that modifies game play is expressly authorized it's just a matter of time before entire raids are banned as looking at some recruitment posts several state that use of a third party program is required. While I appreciate the input of Greymantle and Laronk, this does not meet the standard of expressly authorized.

The whole point of the thread is to avoid cheating in the future. The Lead GM kindly directed me to the ToS, I actually read it and wish to follow the GM's stated instructions of: We advise against using illegal 3rd party software if you would like your account to remain open and in good standing.

I'm not using any 3rd party programs at all, but apparently need one or to use the vastly inferior in game audio triggers if none are expressly authorized. I asked Lead GM Emwon directly and am also asking here on the forums as implicitly authorized because there is a 515 reply thread on the forums does not meet the standards of the ToS.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.