Locked out zones ToV

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dwimmerlaike, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

The player base has been used to going to Alla or EQ resource to follow the progression. Heck I do it every expansion. To be honest I consider it a part of the game at this point. I can't speak for everyone but I don't have the time or interest in figuring all that out anymore. But I have played 20 years straight so some of that "stuff" grows old after a few years.

And if the Devs think the majority of players are into figuring out all the quests and don't want it spoon fed from fansites then they are way way off base. :)

BUT I will say a bit thank you to those who get the info onto the sites. I probably would not have lasted so long in the game if I had to figure it all out on my own.

And yep doing beta is not big on most casuals list. I guess because they take a more "casual" approach to the game. It's sorta self explanatory. :) But its also the reason why I tell guildies not to expect an expansion to be tuned right up front if they aren't testing and giving feedback. Though as you said last year they didn't listen. I sort of think the bad reception to TBL is why they seem to be listening more this year. And yeah some mechanics in the open zone stuff may be an issue.

Its funny because they know what the masses like and enjoy playing over and over its just hard on a devs desire to make things fancier then needed. I get it. It's not challenging making Gribbles content or FM content and yet some folks flock to it. I think FM was a poster child of a starting zone. People just enjoy playing in that zone.

P.S. appreciate all you and the others who do beta do to help get tthings tuned Allayna.

Now I am going offline to watch some tv still recovering from surgery and taking longer then expected to bounce back.
  2. Smokezz The Bane Crew

GMM gear is the equivalent of TBL TS gear. As for the conflag being "good enough", that all depends on the actual SKILL of the player.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  3. Dagum Elder

I didn't mean to imply that it was difficult. I am flagged. I am just saying that it is free to play and the entire casual base avoids that expansion like it is the plague.

So it doesn't matter how many toons a hard core raider such as yourself flags... It is just not about you and just not about I.
  4. enclee Augur

This is all spot on, we’re fortunate to have people that love testing every new expansion and detail within it. As a casual player, I have no interest in Beta, because they’re making buy it and then do work for them by testing it. I’m not a fan of having to buy products before their launch, and I’m especially not interested in having to pay a company to test their product.

Again, thanks to the dedicated folks out there in Beta and I hope they get an expansion that they will enjoy.
  5. Dwimmerlaike Elder

I'm flagged through Mearatas, I am in all gmm/t3 that I want and when I go there to help out the very few people I know that need to hunt there it is a ghost town on Luclin. Whenever doing the progression or travelling to any zone in TBL it is a ghost town on Luclin. I don't follow threads on anything simply because being a casual type and occasional raider such comments about the stupidity and difficulty of the zones usually get met with "When you quit, can I have your stuff?" and the like. So when I play along like a good uber fanbois and demand that the zones be locked out again I get called "a troll".

Since I'm on the subject anyway of TBL what I found completely hypocritical is how the people that farmed Tyrant of Fire and sat down and waited for the loot pinata bosses in Mearatas to flag their mains, their boxes, and their alts and boxes alts were the same ones complaining that GMM was too easy. GMM helped break me into the 1 stupid miserable entry level TBL zone Stratos.

Wheee, looking at the history of expansions, why shouldn't I believe that this new expac won't be locked? Thank you to the dev however who answered this question.
    Marton and Duder like this.
  6. Dwimmerlaike Elder

Nextly I asked about opening up Esianti in another thread. It is t1. It won't kill anyone to actually have a TBL zone that is open for *t1* visibles.
    Elyssanda and Duder like this.
  7. HanktheTank Journeyman

GMM is > TBL tradeskill gear not better than. However; GMM has no visibles. So the current make up is GMM non-visibles with Conflagrant visibles. The muhbis' were easier to make for tradeskillers, but for the groupers they had to buy the muhbis' from the raiders. So most of them just stuck with conflagrant visibles.

To say it depends on the skill of the player, greatly underestimates how much skill actually is put into the game. I find the game easy. I personally don't put much skill into it and it's a cake walk. However; when your looking at things, gear does actually matter for some things. Then it's a factor of do you have the gear or don't you...
  8. Tallie Elder

I am a cleric. I don't think any number of augs or AA's would help me tank! I would very much appreciate a tank merc being able to tank at least non-named mobs. And trust me, keeping said merc alive would be FAR from being handed everything!

I have longed for the day when me + a tank merc could offer a group even close to as much as a tank + a cleric merc!
    fransisco, Dagum and Yinla like this.
  9. Ngreth Thergn Developer

While making the ToV mobs easier, one of the changes we made will have the side effect of making RoS, And TBL mobs easier. The big change is in the strike through number which (before we changed it) grew through those expansions. The change is based on NPC LEVEL more than the expansion the NPC is in, so EoK will be small to negligible change (*maybe* some of the higher level rares will be easier, but not much change will happen, and it may not be noticeable) while RoS and TBL will see a larger change.

NOTE this is ONLY a change to "group" base-pop and rares. Raid mobs are unchanged and still have an effective 100% strikethrough.

This is *NOT * a change to spells on the NPC, so the spells will be as difficult as they are. This only makes a difference on the melee damage they do.

This change will go live with the Expansion patch.
    Thunderkiks, eqgamer, Jennre and 9 others like this.
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Thank you for the strikethrough changes! It is a game changer.

As a specific request, could you please check the 'Dooming Fire' (95k tick DoT over 3 ticks + 155k DD) spell on Guardian of Doomfire (TBL 'Delivery' & 'Remodeling' mission)? It's like a unresistable death touch if not adequately geared/countered.
  11. Petalonyx Augur

Interesting change Ngreth describes. I wonder if this affects hagi vs hdex in the group game?

Re dooming fire - ive never had problems with that in grp gear, and i just ignore the emotes. It's just one target, and i think you get time to heal, hot, rune, geomantra, defensive AA before it hits. That mission becomes trivial with enchanter. It is easy with any combo that includes 2 healers as well, so there are options. I do think the guardian of doomfire is the hardest part, but the mission seems in line with other TBL T2 missions.
  12. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Nope. There is ALSO Heroic Strikethrough. That is countered by Hdex and HAgi.
    that did NOT get adjusted (And probably needs to be higher than it is as well, but we let it be, for now.)
    Petalonyx likes this.
  13. Natal Augur

What helped you "break into" stratos was not GMM gear, it was the nerf to TBL mobs melee dps that happened a few months into the expansion.

Outside of spell effects, TBL mobs are not that hard, and in Stratos the spell effects are usually annoying rather than difficult.
  14. Natal Augur

Your memory is poor. PoP was not initially well received, a LOT of zones were locked behind requirements many casual players could not do. It was only when alternative non-progression keying routes to non-elemental zones were implemented that it became more generally open. And even then the raid keyed zones were out of reach.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  15. Buri Augur

Well, I look at Beta in a completely different way:
    a) I'm gonna buy it anyway, so I might as well do it early
    b) I use Beta to find my way around before it's released. I want to find all the names and quest NPCs and good camp spots, because my fellowship depends on me to organize progression and farm spots. That way, when it's finally released, we're not standing around going, "what do we do first"? or "where is the zone-in"?
    I can see already there's probably going to be a bottleneck at TOFS, with everyone trying to get keys.
  16. Dagum Elder

Yes it got nerfed and the mobs were made easier. All that didn't help. You can read it in other parts and other threads in this form.

The GMM mission and gear was obtainable for people. This gear is what allowed helped more casuals get past a smoke trial. What your stating is your opinion(which is wrong) It's like you don't understand that GMM gear is > any gear that drops in TBL.

It would be false to state that gear doesn't matter at all and does not help going through progression. Since GMM gear was actually obtainable, it did help some people get through TBL. Others are wearing GMM gear with conflagrant visibles as mentioned above. Because the TBL tradeskill gear required you to loot a piece of gear from the mob.
  17. Dagum Elder

I'm a druid my merc is a cleric if that tells you anything.

I wonder if anyone's merc is a tank...
  18. Lianeb Augur

I foresee a lot of people realizing just how bad they are at this game.
    Or probably not. For the guy that likes to eyeball his dps as good.
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Why?
  20. Sancus Augur

A lot of players do significantly less DPS than the 115 melee DPS merc. No DPS class should, but they do.
    Duder, Allayna and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.