Are TLP Servers Moving Too Fast? (Proposed Server Idea)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Jontrann, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Bowdeen Elder

Hate to burst your bubble BUD.. But even with classic experience rates that 1-20 content will be ignored or blown past. Everyone focuses on the best exp locations. We saw it on Agnarr, Coirnav, Mangler, and every other TLP. Why hunt in Greater Fay or similar when you can hunt in Crushbone? Why hunt in Erud's Crossing if you can just go to Unrest? The zones get ignored because they suck, or don't offer the same benefits as other zones.

How do you figure adding corpse runs back in will force bosses to not be trivial? There's still a magic spell that's been around for 20 years call Rez, and we have loot all buttons now. At best, the only thing it would cause a little extra challenge on is Sky DT mobs if you're utilizing the die/run back method.

You want super slow, classic experience and stuck in the classicish era? Go play on P99 and gtfoh.
  2. Rothj Augur

Do we really have to have this conversation? Look at the server status and check which tlp servers are high pop vs low pop. Hint: everyones on mangler, which is in luclin. When the next tlp releases, everyone will again go there. I get you're just trying to oppose my point every step of the way, but can we AT LEAST accept the basic premise that everyone is going to reroll as soon as the next classic tlp is out(the majority?)

edit: also live is irrelevant to this conversation, since these are the tlp forums and when I address the playerbase I am only referring to the tlp playerbase. What live players do or don't do is not my concern.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Planes of Power on Phinigel TLP didn't experience a huge fall off a cliff of players & from others posts it didn't seem like that happened elsewhere either, the decline was fairly curved & actually mirrors how many of the live servers populations went barring things like 2004's launch of Gates of Discord being near the launch of World of Warcraft that DID have a very substantial impact, in part due to the state of the Gates Raids.
  4. Machen New Member

This is not true. It just isn't. You can repeat it all you want, but just because you are only interested in pre pop content does not mean everyone else feels the same way.
  5. Risiko Augur

See there you go again with the "everyone" thing. Not everyone will reroll. Only the TLP-lovers will reroll, and of them, only a percentage of them.

Those other 15 LIVE servers have plenty of people playing on them to warrant their not being shut down no matter how many TLPs have come along over the years, so I don't know why you continue to argue that more people play TLP than non-TLP. It's like yelling at a wall telling it that it is a window. No matter how many times you yell it, it's still not true.
    Yinla likes this.
  6. Rothj Augur

If we take ONLY the tlp playerbase, where are they all at? On mangler. Selos released same time as mangler, now low pop. Miragul low pop on release. There are a minority of players that want this content -the majority are on mangler, which is in luclin. The live playerbase is irrelevant for this topic or these servers.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I think when you assert that such a huge population stop playing after PoP , which is frankly wrong, then people do have to correct that broken narrative. Your logic isn't just wrong it is deliberately misleading.

Populations on both live & TLP servers declined fairly steadily bar a few historic blips (hello WoW), they didn't just evaporate after Planes of Power ran it's course so to dismiss all of the players who continued beyond PoP is hugely disingenuous & completely undermines your credibility.

Comparing Selos to Mangler is like comparing a F1 Racecar to a Nissan Leaf.
  8. Machen New Member

Mangler has the largest population currently, but if you add up all the players on the other TLP's, which are all past Luclin, it exceeds Mangler's population. Not only that, but Mangler's population is not going to suddenly plummet when it reaches GoD. Even if another TLP opens in classic.
    Tymeless and Yinla like this.
  9. Rothj Augur

Right, live is irrelevant to this particular conversation since these are the TLP forums not the live forums. It's basically a separate game and has no impact on the TLP servers or these forums. Also when I say everyone, it should be obvious to anyone with an iq above 80 that I do not mean literally everyone. I mean the vast, relevant majority.
  10. Rothj Augur

Explain to me why fippy darkpaw and vulak have literally zero players online.
  11. code-zero Augur

This all gets so tiresome. I have heard for years of the "journey" people who want to "experience everything in era" and "level in all the zones" or some such mess.

I've done that.

In order to actually do that you'll need to create multiple characters of every race/class combination and work from there.

Of course I have played for 20 years so in that time I've been able to have side project alts to do it with. However I must say that it's really an enormous waste of time because most race/class combos aren't that good and some really suck.

Further, if you get too far down in the weeds with something that doesn't suck you will end up with your main suffering.

Seriously, if you've never played past Luclin you aren't any sort of purist and from where I stand having multiple 110 characters you've not even started playing the game. There's nothing wrong with doing some TLP and I'd roll up a couple of characters on a non-truebox server, or maybe not, but do not pretend to be an elite or some sort of connoisseur of pure EQ because you aren't. Everyone plays what they like and there's nothing wrong with any of it but don't pretend that there's something on a special ruleset server that you couldn't do on a live server f2p with just a little bit of discipline
    Yinla and Raytan like this.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Don't you first need to have a "well thought out" argument for that? Several of your points are clearly ill-thought out or flat out wrong.
  13. Rothj Augur

so now a live player is on the tlp forums explaining why we dont want or need tlp's? This is exactly why dbg should ignore the forums.

edit: also ive played past luclin, I just generally have no interest in servers past luclin. I like zones like veksar and even a lot of the dragons of norath content.
  14. Risiko Augur

All TLP servers (except those with vote unlocks or expansion completion unlocks) will eventually become LIVE servers some day in the future. Therefore, when you discuss people (in your words) racing to the end and wanting easy mode, the end is LIVE.

I think the ONLY TLP server that meets the criteria of the discussion you are wanting to have is Agnarr because it's end game for the rest of time is the Planes of Power expansion.

You keep talking about TLP servers like as if they have an expiration point that in your particular opinion is somewhere around Planes of Power, and that's just not the case. So, when you say that people want to race through the content and get to "easy mode", you are actually referring to getting to level 65 and defeating the Gods.

IF... big IF here... IF all TLP servers in fact ended after unlocking the Planes of Power expansion, then you would have an argument to be had in wanting to keep the journey as long as possible because there would actually be an END that would come at some point. As for all but ONE TLP server, that is not the case.

Also, insinuating that someone has a low IQ just because they don't agree with your opinion is a very childish action. Lets try to keep the conversation mature and constructive please, so that Dreamweaver doesn't come in here and lock the thread.
    Skuz and code-zero like this.
  15. Rothj Augur

Has any tlp server actually reached live? Explain to me why fippy darkpaw and vulak have zero players. A lot of people play on these servers with the intention that one day they'll get to live, but the vast majority of players play till somewhere around mercs being released and then reroll on the newest tlp. Repeat cycle.
  16. Machen New Member

That's your argument, really?

They are eight years old.
  17. Rothj Augur

So eight years ago, when all the same people who are playing now rolled there, why did they all quit? Why did more and more people leave until there was no one left playing? I would like you to explain it because almost all roads will lead back to tlp servers that progress past mercs or pop being unpopular.
  18. Risiko Augur

For the record, and any number of my enemies on here can attest to this fact, I have played on every single TLP server ever made... ever. EVERY ... SINGLE ... ONE.

I also have played on Vazaelle, Stormhammer (the Legends server), Bertoxx, Luclin, FV, Test, Zek (both Rallos and the faction one (I forget the name now.. sigh)), and a handful of others over the years.

I am not a LIVE player, nor am I a TLP player. I am an EverQuest player. I have been playing EverQuest for roughly 17+ years, ran multiple guilds, ran an EQ fansite, and been to numerous Sony Fanfaire/Live conventions over the years. When you make comments asserting that people should be ignored because they don't meet your criteria on who is worthy of dev attention, you might actually want to know the background of said person you are saying is ignore-worthy. Just saying.
    Yinla, Skuz and code-zero like this.
  19. Rothj Augur

I didn't quote you, I literally quoted someone else that plays live and said they don't think we need tlp servers.
  20. Risiko Augur

True, but I would bet money on the others in this thread being just as worthy of devs attention as myself. My poop doesn't smell like roses even though I do have a "Poop King" sign hanging on my bathroom wall.

I respect your right to have your opinion, but I disagree with your opinion in this particular instance.

Either way, I hope you have an enjoyable holiday weekend.

See you all on Norrath! Happy Thanksgiving!
    Skuz likes this.