Which map is which

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by CatsPaws, Nov 16, 2019.

1. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I saw a couple players debating about map packs in general today. One of them says Goods and Brewells are two separate people and two different map designs/content and they run them both - using the little arrow key to switch.

The other person said they are the same and the only difference is that Brewells has a ground spawn one but the basic map is made by the same person. That Good is the map maker and Brewell is the map producer kinda thing.

So I have both (or all three including the ground spawn) and flip between them. Are they different or am I just doubling up?
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Goodurden's does have a separate Collection Ground Spawns folder.

It's been a while since I've checked but I believe that Goodurden's Maps have named spawn points and Brewall's EverQuest Maps do not.

For that reason I usually recommend Goodurden's.

However, it would be best to wait for them to post, as they usually are on the forums here. They can explain. I'm just guessing.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Its not so much what the maps have - I'm trying to find out if these are two different map makers - Good and/or Brewell. Or if they are one mapmaker.

That was the debate in chat - that they are the same person and the same maps just with different labels.
  4. Maedhros High King

They are definitely not the same person.

https://eq.magelo.com/profile/3350564
    Warrior on Xegony in ROI - does very nice maps.

https://eq.magelo.com/profile/2174493
    Bard on Cazic Thule in my guild, ROTE - also does very nice maps.

Many people have both sets loaded, as they do not take up a ton of space on the hard drive and you can swap between them. There are often little details between the sets for the individual zone map files that may be different/useful to have in certain zones for various reasons.
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Thank you for that clarification. I also use both. :D
  6. Orbital101 Augur

We are two different people and I do everything on my own. I like to think of myself as the main source for maps, creating and putting info on the maps before you even need it. I can't say my way is the best as we both have different ways of color coding our maps, labels, and setting up the layers. One may work for X, while another might work best for Y.

I started making maps seriously at the end of CotF with Tower of Rot, picking up after Caudyr, which was very hard to do at that time. Hell, I even remapped some of my own maps twice as I learned new tricks. Then Mapfiend also went down and I realized that a lot of the older maps were not done, outdated, and very hard to work with. I took on the daunting challenge of giving those maps a new life. After some time, I got addicted to mapping, in part due to all the nice feedback I was receiving, which has kept me going till now. I have between 9,000 - 10,000 hrs invested in mapping since then, which is kind of scary if you think about it lol.

If you think my pack is missing something feel free to let me know. You can also follow and post on my main forum thread for any requests > here <

Goodurden

Iven, Laurana, Yinla and 5 others like this.
  7. Nennius Curmudgeon

I use both. They both have their strengths.
  8. john5 Lorekeeper

So if you had spent an absurd 10 hours per day running into walls making maps, you did so for 1,000 total days? Almost 3 years of your life making maps? You sure you didn't miss a decimal point in there? Even just 100 days seems a bit much to map every single zone.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  9. Aldryn Another New Member

This sounds about right. Meet Goodurden. Goodurden isn't human.
    Winnowyl, Marike, Beimeith and 7 others like this.
  10. Derka Power Ranger

Do you even map, bro?
  11. Orbital101 Augur

Welcome to my world!
    Yinla, Pano, Tucoh and 2 others like this.
  12. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Having been part of the fellowship with Brewall in it.. Yep, that math sounds about right. He spends raids mapping the raid event. he logs in and maps for hours and hours and hours every day during Beta. Last year, we would be pushing through progression as hard as we could so he could be campfired in to map TBL zones. So I fully believe Good does too. and yes, I am one who uses both.
    Laurana, Corwyhn Lionheart and eepok like this.
  13. Tucoh Augur

Brewall and goodurden irl

[IMG]

I've always wondered if they'll ever tag team an expansion's maps.
    Gundolin, Laurana, Fanra and 4 others like this.
  14. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Devs should reward these players with pre-fix 'Cartographer' (or 'Master Cartography') or suffix ', The Great Cartographer' at the very least.
    Laurana, Fanra, CatsPaws and 7 others like this.
  15. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Good maps take a long time to do right, a few days at least. I used to go into the map file itself and manually adjust lines to straighten them if I couldn't get them to be straight in game. Doing that made me re-examine my life a little.
    Winnowyl and Orbital101 like this.
  16. Bobokin Augur

I use both, as sometimes one is easier to read than the other in any given zone.

On a side note, it would be nice if some of the zones in EQ were changed because they are laid out like no one in his right mind would lay them out in a real world situation. Not even orcs. Someone thought they would be tricky and try to get players lost in underground zones, so no one uses them much anymore.
  17. Malbro Augur

I also use both but sometimes I have trouble with the colors Brewell uses due to my eyes are 70 plus years old :)
    Elyssanda likes this.
  18. Jalelorf Augur

I personally believe that U. S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our education, like such as in South Africa and, uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should—our education over here in the U. S. should help the U. S., uh, or, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq, and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future, for our children.