Do you need Gold to Beta test?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Sylence, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Sylence New Member

If I buy Velious, do I also need to be Gold to play in Beta?
  2. Bigstomp Augur

That's a very good question. I would assume you would get smoked, but I have no idea if it's truely required.
  3. Warpeace Augur

4. Elyssanda Bardbrain

if you preorder, you are automatically gold for 30 days, or at least, that's how it has been in the past.
  5. Warpeace Augur

We haven't received 30 days game time for buying an expansion in years. :confused:
  6. Smokezz The Bane Crew

You don't get gold (all access) for 30 days anymore. However Beta doesn't require it, you'll be considered all access on the beta server, just not on the live servers.
    Axxius likes this.
  7. Elyssanda Bardbrain

really? that's.. sad.. for what we pay for this game.. including 1 month gold seems.. logical. I wouldn't know though, I haven't been silver since I came back to the game the last couple weeks of CoTF.
  8. smash Augur

Read what you wrote:

If you silver, it means, you do not pay for it.
    And giving 1 month for free is pure loss, in effect costing them around 10. Which means the basic down to 24. Pure loss
  9. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I said I haven't been silver.. as in, I've been gold for 5ish years.
  10. smash Augur

It would still be throwing money out the window, you would get 1 month for free, which is 10.
  11. Elyssanda Bardbrain

roll it into the advertising budget =) it's not like they give physical items anymore.
  12. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

Is it "free"? You know... since we're testing the expansion and actually doing the QA work DBG and the devs should probably be doing? We're essentially PAYING to do basic and intermediate level quality assurance FOR DBG. Seems like tossing us a free month of gold would be the least they could do.
  13. Whulfgar Augur

Yes you need to be gold.
  14. enclee Augur

This is a good example of pinching pennies, but losing dollars. If you included a 30 day free pass with the pre-order, it encourage sales and further subscriptions.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  15. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

Actually you do not, I bought ToV on 3 accounts, one is subbed two are not and all three log into beta everyday.
    CatsPaws and Jhenna_BB like this.
  16. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

You are not paying to do anything. What you decide to do or not do in Beta is on you. The choice was and still is yours.
  17. Whulfgar Augur

Interesting.. I bought the expansion for a friend (Vendess , mage friend) an they had informed me it needed it to be gold .
  18. Whulfgar Augur

What are those silver toons names so that I may pass this info on please?
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Now they don't think there is a point in giving gold with an expansion purchase but at some point they thought there was a point to it.

I guess they agree with you now though since they don't do it but it hasn't always been throwing money out the window. I still think it would be a good idea if they could give gold only to accounts that haven't been gold for a six month period say. A free month to everyone already subbed would be throwing money away but a free month to those not usually subbed would be giving them a taste and hope they come back for more :)

In an aside:
    In 20 years I think there was one time I let my sub expire for a few weeks when I was on vacation but been gold all 20 years otherwise.
  20. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Uh, they have NEVER given you 30 days free subscription time for buying an expansion. EVER. They gave NEW ACCOUNTS 30 days free when they used to sell the game in boxes, as every game back then did, "try free for 30 days!", though like any other offer like that, you still had to enter your credit card information, but had to cancel before the 30 days were up. This was when you needed account keys from CDs to create a new account.

Where in the world did this idea come from all the sudden?