Shaman Help

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Skev, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Skev New Member

Hey folks

Started playing over the weekend and I'm just getting comfortable with the Shaman. Just about 30 now. I've looked around a bit for some guides and what sort of items to look for, but I'm not sure what is still relevant and up to date.

Does anyone have any recommended guides or advice of your own for Shaman?
  2. Greldek New Member

If you're on live servers defiant chain armor is your go to, it will last you to the 70s if you keep upgrading it as you go. It drops randomly in every zone in the game from about lvl 1 to lvl 85 from what I've seen. Same goes for weapons.

You can buy all your spells in plane of knowledge until I think lvl 90, then you need to start going outward for spells but that's a long ways away.

Hire yourself a tank or wizard mercenary. Wizard will carry you faster, but tank will carry you further. That's assuming you pay for a subscription a J1 wizard merc on burn will tank for you just as well as a tank up to the 50s, then an actual tank merc will need to be swapped over to, to take the hits.

Just slow the mobs, and dot them up and keep your merc alive.

Look for franklin teek in PoK and get the daily quest from him each day, he sends you to a hotzone to kill 5 specific enemies to that zone, and the reward is a good chunk of exp, and a piece of armor for the belt, cloak, or shoulder slot. Hotzones are also good experience so you'll probalby want to hang out in them and grind exp for awhile.

I'm not familiar with TLPs so if you're playing a time lock server someone else will have to help you.

Good luck!
    Tucoh likes this.
  3. Tanuden New Member

Feel free to hit me up via tell if you see me online. I can answer some things. What Greldek said is good advice.

Like him, I don't play TLP. Good luck

Tanooden
    76 Shaman
    Erollisi Marr
  4. Buri Augur

At level 32, the Shaman gets his first pet. You will want to have one up from that point on, pretty much always. Keep in mind that the SHM pet is not a tank, you're not a "true" pet class like a Beastlord of Mage. It's more of a fuzzy dot, that can act as a speed bump if you're running from something.
    Mr. Froo likes this.
  5. Mr. Froo Developer

Just remember to get mage weapons on him and haste your wolfie friend like crazy. Get some attack procs in your rotation and he turns into a reliable source of dps, especially when you go oom and get too scared to cast from your health.
    eepok likes this.
  6. Mr. Froo Developer

Also cast cannibalize every time it's off cooldown.
    skattabrainz and eepok like this.
  7. Herf Augur

I didn't know the doggie would wield weapons.....

That said: once you get Canni (1, 2, and later 3), create a hotkey that casts it, waits for the duration of the canni spell to reset, then cast again. 3x. This is a lot better than mashing the spell button whenever it resets. IMPORTANT! "Canni Dancing" - to get the best mana regen you must manually sit down between each canni cast. Failing to sit will only give you about half the mana you could have earned. Canni Dancing is annoying, but you have to do it. Until you get a mount at least, and even then, you need to use it when you're in mountless dungeons.

Consider getting a Fungi tunic when you can, it stacks with your regen spell for making HP, which you canni into mana.

Similarly, boost your STA so you have more hp to canni.

Basically you want to be canni'ing all the time to make mana. Canni Dancing is the equivalent of a warrior bashing or a wizard nuking: it's what you do. If you want to just sit around and just cast occasionally, you have to play a cleric ;)

What race/religion did you pick for your SHM?
  8. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

the only acceptable answer to this question is Iksar/Cazic-Thule.

everything else is just a pale imitation.
  9. Herf Augur

As much as I'd like to agree with this, Innoruk Troll SHM can quest for a snare necklace at fairly junior levels. The ability to snare a dotted mob before it wanders off to find buddies, golden.
    skattabrainz likes this.
  10. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

I find your lack of desire for free pulls to be disturbing....
    skattabrainz and Herf like this.
  11. Risiko Augur

Is there a particular level where the mobs you try to snare are not effected or it doesn't land on them, or can this snare item be used all the way to end game?
  12. Tucoh Augur

pictured below: virtually any sub 60 character and their tank/caster merc
    [IMG]
    Duder, skattabrainz and Mehdisin Mahn like this.
  13. Herf Augur

I can only testify up to PoP, but I used it yesterday in Crypt of Decay. There were resists, but it stuck mostly. Mobs that are entirely resistant to snare of course is something else.
  14. Buri Augur

And remember, you're not a true seasoned SHM until you've Cann'd yourself to death in a raid!
  15. Chorus Augur

Regent symbol of Innoruuk. it works pretty much all the way up to current levels, but it is super slow to cast compared to pretty much everything else you have at that point. It also won't instantly stop a runner, like normal snare does, I think you have to beat them down to 12% or so, as it is casting the level 4? or 8? roughly...necro dot/snare combo spell in their darkness line. If you're going to use it, make sure to cast malo line first. It will pretty much always land if you have malo on first. Then it's all about learning to time it appropriately, and probably no need to use it in a group.
  16. Herf Augur

I use it in a group all the time. After I slow the group attacks. I maybe cast a dot. Cann a bit. Now the mob is at about 30% and I click the item. If mob isn't resistant it's now snared just as it reaches 20% which is when it will decide to try to walk away (if it's not undead, and if it isn't fighting with something its social with.)