Torment of Velious Raids

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dovhesi, Oct 22, 2019.

1. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I don't care about flags. I think all the raids should be available at the same time though. Flagging was an artificial annoying thing. Main thing is, the raids better be challenging, create some distance between guilds, just so there isn't all the complaining about it and, "omg we beat it 3 seconds before you! haha!" bs.
  2. Raccoo Augur

Flagging is a minor roadblock for top raiders at the beginning of the expansion. It's actually more of an obstacle later on when those original flagged aren't around. Look back at ROS/EOK and how much of a pain it is to get flagged people in for unflagged to do ST/VP/Korsha.
    Raiding guilds will do all content they can to get gear, that is the reward. I've got stacks and stacks of flags on my main that aren't rewarding anyone. :p

It is a major roadblock for open raids who have different membership from week to week. It sucks when you have 12 people who could raid if not for flagging. You're stuck only doing three tier 1 raids for 1-2 years.
    Svann2 and Redemption like this.
  3. Zamiam Augur

I dont raid , but I think its a bad idea to remove flagging .. sure its great for the low level raiding guilds ..
    the top end guilds will be twiddling their thumbs with nothing to do .. im sure the top lvl guilds will be done with T1 within the first few days then they will have to wait till T2 unlocks then T3 .. so after each Tier unlocks they will be done by that first few days and have 3 weeks off we will hear nothing but complaints from them how the raids were not tough enough and they have nothing todo boohoo cry me a river ..
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Guilds raid lower tier raids long after they have finished flagging for the next tier as they will still need the drops from the expansion for a good amount of time into the year. In fact for a lot of guilds this will help speed up everything as the higher tier raids will unlock faster than they would with normal flagging.
  5. Zamiam Augur

do raiding guilds really farm lower Tier raids for gear when T3 or highest tier there is gear is better .. wouldnt it make sense to farm the T3 raids ?
  6. Zamiam Augur

If flagging were still in place in ToV i could see top raiding guilds farming T1 cause they have no choice but now that there is no flagging they can just wait till T3 unlocks and go farm that .. why would you waste your DKP on lower tier stuff if you didnt have too ?

like i said I do not raid so im a novice when it comes to raiding

if you ask me :p and I know you wont .. I think they should do the flagging and put each Tier on a time lock ..
    so Tier 1 opens in january and you need X number of wins to proceed to Tier 2
    tier 2 opens in march and so forth as tier 3 would open in may .. and even if flagging was done they could not move on to the next Tier till it was unlocked ..:p

/ducks
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

There is only 1 tier of dropped items and 1 tier of crafted items from all the raids in an expansion recently so guilds will need to farm all 3 tiers of raids in order to get all the drops they need.
    Zamiam likes this.
  8. Axxius Augur

Now, that's really uncalled for. Why the animosity? If somebody from a high end raiding guild offended you in some way, that's not a reason to generalize like that. Not to mention that lower tier guilds are the main source of recruits for the top guilds.

We want the 'lesser' guilds to actually prosper and be a place for new players (believe it or not, EQ1 still gets new players!) to grow to the level where they want to try high end raiding. Speaking for myself here, but I'm sure the leadership teams of RoI, MS, etc have similar views, and none of them would want the 'lesser' guilds to die off. Not to mention calling them 'lesser'.

Trying upper tier raids with a casual guild would be pointless and bring you nothing but frustration. 'See if they can beat it?' - umm... no, they can't. If it's properly designed and tuned, you'll have a snowflake's chance in hell. It would take a tuning failure of the Talendor proportions to actually happen. But that would mean the devs didn't do their job properly. And you don't want freebies like that, do you?
    Szilent, Drogba and Tucoh like this.
  9. Zippie Journeyman

When you get right down to it, removing the need for flagging and having your raid content staggered on a delayed release schedule is actually a winning strategy for DBG.

This change may upset some of the top 5% of their customer base in the top guilds, but it helps the other 95% of their customer base.

The cold hard fact is that there is next to no chance that a majority of their top 5% guilds' members will quit Everquest because of this change. Some might argue against it, but at the end of the day, those people will still be playing Everquest. The hardcore raiders that have been here for almost two decades are not going to quit the game simply because they have to wait 1 month to raid new content.

As for the other 95% customer base that aren't in hardcore raiding guilds, this benefits them in various ways. This change could potentially bring more players back to the game as well as keep those already playing from leaving the game.

tldr version: DBG stands to retain and gain more customers for their Everquest franchise with this change, and that's a good thing for them and us.
    Hellowhatsyourname likes this.
  10. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

I don't feel like reading nine pages of forums.... soooo....

Has DBG officially stated that tier 1 raids will come available on the day of ToV release, OR, after New Years?
  11. Axxius Augur

Yes. 1 month after the expansion release date. And the next tier 1 month after that. And then T3 in another month.
  12. Absor Developer

When this thread turns from debate to mud slinging I will certainly stop reading it. So please keep it civil.
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

It doesnt make sense to farm only tier 3 raids and limit your raid team to just a few pieces a week. Also raid TS drops are bis.
  14. Whulfgar Augur

In my humble opinion..

Removing flagging from the raid systems.. will ultimately only hurt .. the lessor guilds. How you ask ?

Lets look at those people who can not join the Top guild on their own server's due entirely to time management .. They don't have the time required to get keyed via "Flagging per raid" as it is.

Remove those flag requirements .. guess what that player who ONLY stuck round in that lessor guild not due to talent.. but entirely due to lack of time to raid .. thus being held back by Raid Flagging..

Now that player has absolutely NO reason's to hold their own selves back from joining the top guild on their server .. raid flagging has been removed.. guess what ..

This will effect MORE players .. longer we go with out Raid Flagging.. thus slowly bleeding dry those lessor guilds ..
  15. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

Your assertion here is 1000% based on conjecture formed on assumptions that I personally don't agree with. In all my years of EQ, raid flagging requirements was never cited as the primary reason someone moved from "lessor guild" (which you never define... do you mean a guild raiding lower tier content? Or family guild that doesn't raid?) to a high-end raiding guild. Most raiding guilds (even top-10 guilds) nowadays only raid two or three evenings a week. Gone are the days of 5 or 7 day a week raiding as the rule rather than the exception.

What I WILL think will happen, though, is those mid-tier guilds who do try to raid periodically will have the opportunity to see more content, which even if they don't beat it on their first night trying (like many top-10 guilds will), at least its FRESH. The open raiding group on my server is still stuck with General Reparm and working on Stratos .... if those raids were open at least the raid leader could move everyone to another spot and give everyone a change of scenery. As it stands, the same people are beating their heads against the same content day in and day out, and because of the flagging requirement and rotational nature of open raiding, they have a really hard time ever getting past the open portions of expansions.

Opening up ToV raids is a great idea. Frankly, now that TBL and prior expansions are no longer current content, I think the dev's should open all of THOSE raids up, too. Remove the timesinks and roadblocks and just let people experience the content they worked so hard to create.
    Zippie and enclee like this.
  16. enclee Augur

Your post doesn't make sense. What's stopping people that don't have time to raid to move into the lower tier guilds? Removing flagging is 100% a boon to the raid population and injects energy into the lower guilds. We all know that just because a raid is T1 doesn't mean it's easy or if it's T3 it doesn't mean it's hard. So, now those guilds won't be roadblocked, they can just pick and choose based off lockouts and raid composition.
    Zippie likes this.
  17. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

More importantly, they don't need to spend another 3 weeks reflagging the same old content every time someone changes a main or a new recruit joins to take the spot of someone who left.

This is a fantastic idea, and I applaud the devs for going this direction.
    Zippie likes this.
  18. Natal Augur

They had to wait anyway with the old system because it took about a month to accumulate enough flags needed to move to the next tier. If you have 3 tier 1 raids on a 5 day lockout cycle, and need 12 flags to move to the next tier, it will take you a minimum of 15 days assuming you beat all the raids as soon as they are available. Tier 3 required even more flags than that, so took longer.
  19. Natal Augur

Yes. Because higher raid tiers drop the same level gear, just different slots.
  20. Mazame Augur

Tier gear has not been a thing for a very long time. It used to be that each Tier had it own set of gear and so if that were the case still then you would be correct. However they changed the gear a long time a go so that different items dropped in each Tier so T1 you would do to get your Wrist and gloves and T3 would have legs and BP. But even that has changed.

In today game their is 4 Raid sets
    Set A is group gear that is of raid level. Currently their two types of this 1st is the chase loot that evolves into raid gear and 2nd is an Ultra Rare drop set that is found in group content ( often this is not a complete set but rather a set given for people that don't raid to find a gem) it is also on par with the last years raid set.

Set B is the normal Raid set the drops for this set are from different raid events and can come from T1 to T3.

Set C is a Trade skill set for TBL this was the BIS for many of the slots. this requires farming group stuff to make an item that is then combined with a raid drop. For ToV this will be the BiS as well but is limited to 1 Vis, 1 non vis and 1 weapon.

Set D is not a complete set but more a a special event sent ( think of Anniversary events ) These drops come from special events like "Ship" & "GMM" They are not complete sets but more special chase items for raids.

The reason to farm T1 or T3 is the same a chest has X drops and the event gives X coins. The tiers do not give better loot but are more based on how hard the events are and are linked to unlocking different drops on the vendor. For example if you want the pet ear to be unlocked you need to do the event that drops the pet ear. This could be a T1 event a T2 event or a T3. The more events your able to do the more loot your raid team will get.

So yes there is plenty of reason to farm all tiers.