Suggestion: Morph old weapons into Ornaments!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Vizier, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Vizier Augur

We have all these awesome weapons from the past rotting away on our walls. You already created the models for them, why are you letting all this work go to waste??

Sell an item on the Marketplace that allows one to convert a weapon into an ornament of the same type. This will add TONS of replay value to old content as people go hunt down their favorite weapon skins.
    Nennius, Eteract, drizerker and 2 others like this.
  2. Ngreth Thergn Developer

We still do not have the technology for this.
  3. Syylke_EMarr Augur

It's been mentioned a lot of times, and the effort involved is not as minimal as we, the customers, would like.

Basically they would have to create a new item (the ornament) and a new crafting recipe (or other conversion mechanic) for every weapon. And I'm not sure if there's some special behind-the-scenes bits necessary to make ornaments for different weapon types behave properly (like a 1-hand slash ornament on a piercing weapon, etc).
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  4. Vizier Augur

Well, it seems like it would be worth developing. This technology would scale backwards to all the old content AND to all the new content you are releasing in the future. Overall it would add a new level of customization and motivation to play old content.

worth.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Okay okay. Tech limitations. Ummm ok can can you make an EQ holodeck for us?

Wait wait n... transporters...

No I am sticking with holodeck can we have an eq holodeck?
  6. Vumad Cape Wearer

I was thinking more along the lines of adding the augmentation tag to weapons. If it holds the tag, then the weapon itself could in theory be added to the slot? I mean what is the difference between a type 21 aug with no stats and a fully functional weapon that is in itself a type 21 aug. As long as the game knows not to apply type 21 stats to the character.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I would pay $20 for an "Appearance Only" tab.
    Eteract, Winnowyl and Bardy McFly like this.
  8. Bardy McFly Augur

Same as EQ2. Works great.
  9. Sokki Still Won't Buff You!!

That's an interesting concept that I haven't seen brought up before, I'm not sure if it would be as easy as just adding the augmentation tag though. I don't think Aug items have the ability to be equipped like normal items but I'm not positive on that since it's never been done before. The other concern I would have is would the items work like normal ornaments with just the aug tag or would another back end change need to be made for them to display the right graphics.

Overall I think it's a good idea and it's definitely thinking outside the box for a solution, hopefully one of these idea's is something the devs haven't thought of that might be feasible.
    Vumad likes this.
  10. Ravanta Suffer Augur

I would also, and gladly. But not just for hero's forge...which I don't really see the point of. Hero's forge looks to only be for armor ornaments. Personally care more about primary/secondary fashion!
  11. Vizier Augur

I'd like to see a dev comment on the feasibility of this idea.
  12. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

I can just picture someone inserting a weapon into an aug slot, then that weapon into a third, and that into a fourth....
    Vumad likes this.
  13. Tevik Augur

Well, you can't put a full bag inside another bag, so it should be the same thing right! Easy!

(It's totally not easy I'm sure.)
    Vumad and Rasper Helpdesk like this.
  14. Evye Augur

I've suggested this before too.
    We should crowd fund this.
    How much would it take Devs?
  15. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

By extensively researching past threads this was brought up in, most of which I posted in. I have derived a formula for determining the probability of this ever happening.

($'s crowdsourced / #of discrete operations to code this change) * (0 + Value and/or Stability added by this change) = % probability they make this change.

You do the math.
  16. Scorrpio Augur

Ok, so we already have weapon ornaments which are one slot containers. You put a regular weapon in, click combine, and you now got a weapon with same stats and name as original, but the look of the ornament a permanent change. How exactly is this represented?

There is apparently tech to assign a different appearance to an item without using an augment.

Why can't we have a UI like Luck fusing. Open it for a weapon, drag in an appearance donor item, and fuse, consuming a marketplace reagent (wink wink).
  17. Vumad Cape Wearer

We also have key rings, so if that same concept is applied to heros forge and weapons then we can one time buy a window that lets up manage our appearance. Ornamentations made since at the time but augmentations make more sense now. An appearance window is the next step.

It also can save the company money, since you can't accidentally destroy, evolve or trib an item anymore resulting in a petition.
  18. Vizier Augur

This cant work because they would have to go back and make new items for every weapon. We need to go back the idea of adding the aug tag to all weapons idea. It's much easier to adjust the tags of existing items. I have still yet to see a dev comment on whether or not this idea is feasible.
  19. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

The idea that changing a tag on a 'weapon record' so you could insert it as an 'ornamentation item' on another weapon, seems quite far fetched.

Keeping in mind this is a text based database, which spits out a 'record row' as a long delimited string.

The fields, exact order, and data types need to match for an 'ornamentation record' and a 'weapon record', for this concept to function as presented, without any additional coding.

I can virtually assure you the records, fields and order for ornamentations are not the same as weapons.

I am quite confident you can calculate the likelyhood of this happening, by any method, using my forumla:
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  20. Fooba Augur

#include <iostream>
    using namespace std;
    int main()
    {
    If(weaponornament == 0) {
    weaponornament = 1
    }
    return 0;
    }

Where do I send my resume?