Miragul - Ghost Town?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Flop, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Delphwind Augur

The current heroic characters on live do not include HoT AAs, I do not expect any difference here. I had the same worry as you, and even voiced my concerns, however after checking on 3 different classes, no HoT AAs are included.
  2. Delphwind Augur

I agree that many TLP type players wont be interested in this level of content. The game is vastly different and requires a lot more button pressing and paying attention, something most vanilla players are not accustomed too. The skill level is a lot higher, and that turns a lot of people off.

I believe this server is going to be more for a bridge between Live and Classic TLP. I don't think the population is going to be that high, but should be more than enough to progress.

Just like other TLPs, I expect this server to be popular for 3-4 months, then start to slow down, then next year most will jump ship again to the next one.
    VandilIzer likes this.
  3. VandilIzer Augur

While yes they put "through" in the FAQ I believe they made a typo and meant to say that you gain the auto-grant AA's though HoThule that are granted with a 85 heroic character (IE all AA's auto-granted to 85, nothing beyond) which wouldn't actually include HoThule AA's. Then you won't get further auto-grants until 5 expansions (4 possibly because math is hard apparently for FAQ's.)

It would be extremely silly to grant the House of Thule AA's and while we can't put it beyond the realm of possibility its fairly certain we will get the initial auto grant to max level 85 AA's and nothing more for a while.

On topic, there are clearly going to be people playing here, the discord sees many people join it every day and even more people will join as we get closer and it releases. Will it have the population of a classic start server? No probably not, there are allot more people who have nostalgic feelings about that era and for some reason want to keep reliving it. But there are those who want to see a further evolution of the game, those that quit during the 70's h*ll run of xpacks with no AA's and 6 month xpacks that just aren't good who may quit those servers and join one like this that skips a bunch of that BS.

There is a market for this kind of server, how big of one will have to wait to see until release and people login, or don't.
    Delphwind likes this.
  4. Delphwind Augur

Yes, that is true, but that's not what I meant. People are not going to farm tier 1, 2, and 3 for gear. We will go into tier 4 with full heroic gear and farm that before raids.
  5. Delphwind Augur

This is correct. I spent too much time going through the AAs of 3 different classes and comparing them to the AA database and NONE of them had ANY HoT AAs. This will be the case for Miragul.

I totally understand why people are confused however, as I was when I first read it also.
  6. That0neguy Augur

Guess we will have to wait and see. It makes no sense they call out something very specific and different if it works just like live heroic characters.
  7. VandilIzer Augur

Agreed, it makes no sense, but that's nothing new.
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

That's how I'd do it.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

It's only been 3 months and I've already forgotten HoT progression. I think I'd bang out the progression missions and just not spend any time farming the lower tier gear. Get what you can from chests but otherwise keep driving towards T4.
  10. VandilIzer Augur

Basically to refresh your memory - (note ALL of these require solo missions to pull, THAT will be the biggest blockade for people not the missions themselves.)

T1 -
    Feerot (easy even for heroic toons)
    House - very easy / quick
    Lib - Easy / quick
    Well - freaking maze, but not hard
    Grounds - Longer but overall not hard
    Erudins Burning - Longest by far (either need to FD to many items in it or clear a bunch of mobs, decent EXP though.)

T2 -
    Upper - Can invis through to named rooms.
    Al'kabors - medium length
    Fear Itself - Longest mission just because of number of mobs, not bad if you have a mezzer / solid group.
    Miraguls - Pain to get to for some people but easy after that

Once people can request the missions it will take 30-1 hour per mission, give or take, with some coordination lots of people should be MC / SS flagged well within the first week and farming the T4 group stuff.

The nice part is you can pull the group mission for other people to do once every 6 hours per mission, so most people can just skip the solo tasks.
  11. Vexn Elder

At least they nailed the server name for this server. Gonna be a dead ghost town on release for sure.
  12. Rothj Augur

I'm a p99 player just passing through here to see what's going on, etc. I came across your post and wanted to address some things you said so you understand the other side of things a bit better. First off, many highly skilled players like classic mmo's and would actually prefer harder content, whether it's actually difficult or not. The difficulty of raiding is basically irrelevant in why these servers are popular or not popular. What people want is immersion, purpose, a feeling of being part of something, and a chance to dedicate themselves to a world that matters. Classic everquest invokes a strong feeling in me when I see the zones and play n them - it's immersive.

I can tell you what is not immersive and turns me off - starting at level 85 with a highly inflated character in content that the devs didn't really care about. Modern eq zones to me come across as lacking detail and character and it's just not enjoyable to me personally. I also find the massive amount of extra garbage annoying, like they just kept stacking layers on top of other layers. If this zone started from level 1, maybe I would play on it. But starting at 85 is really unappealing.
  13. Delphwind Augur

That's great, and you are of course welcome to your opinions. I however can not stand playing classic. I hate the slow play style and boring raid bosses. I know the first 5 expansions VERY well at this point, having gone through them 5-6 times now over the last few years. This servers offers me a fresh start with others at a time in EQ when I feel the classes are much more fun to play, and there is actually tiered content, both group and raid.

I understand this server is not for everyone, as do the developers. Just because most of the TLP, and p99 crowds wont like it, does not mean there is not going to be a healthy population. Obviously the pop will dwindle, and the server will likely only last about a year, but I will get a great deal of fun out of it while it's alive!

Looking forward to Tuesday!!
    ECrack and Yinla like this.
  14. Rothj Augur

If you like it that's whatever. I just wanted to point out that using the difficulty as any kind of reason why the server would be unpopular is pretty inaccurate in this case. You're misrepresenting the classic player in a way to frame yourself as somehow having higher standards by playing here. There are obvious reasons why people don't want to play on the server that have nothing to do with any complexity of the raid content or classes.
    Xanathol likes this.
  15. Delphwind Augur

I don't think I am misrepresenting the classic player at all actually. The game changes significantly and I do not believe most people that enjoy classic or p99 would like the complexity of what the game has become in House of Thule.

However I still believe there is a healthy amount of people that will enjoy it, but if you don't, there are several other TLPs, along with a new p99 server you can play on. If you like it that's whatever.
    Reht and code-zero like this.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

You do the devs an injustice by saying they didn't care about the content. House of Thule has a few of the older zones remade with updated graphics. Fear looks amazing, Alkabors nightmare heads back to faydark, everfrost, misty thicket and dread lands. I never thought I'd be killed by black wolves, snakes and beetles at level 90.

Eq still has the immersion. House of Thule I found very easy and enjoyable to lose myself in, and care about the lore and stories. It is one of the better modern expansions that I'm sure many would enjoy if they gave it a chance.

It has the old Eq feel with some updated graphics and a few extra buttons to press. It may not be for you, but have you ever given it a chance?
    Icaen, ECrack, code-zero and 2 others like this.
  17. Xanathol Augur

I think the characterization of "complex" is perhaps the point of contention and a misnomer here. There's nothing ever complex about EQ, old or new. HoT+ has more buttons to push, sure, but what do people do? Once they look up stacking and timings, they key bind or make a social and end up mashing a handful of keys, just like in Classic. Raids more involved? If you consider different flavors of GINA empowered 'Simon Says' and 'balance the hp of x mobs' complex, I guess so? Whereas a live player may find the 'kill this in that order' intriguing and the classic tank & spank boring, a tlp player may find the '30 second burn' rather amusing as well. Point is, it is just different flavors - complexity really isn't a thing here.
    Icaen likes this.
  18. code-zero Augur

I've seen enough in range of skills from different players over the years to conclude that there's skill above and beyond merely looking up keybinds and making a sequence of hotkeys to push in a particular order.
    Reht, Machen and Icaen like this.
  19. Icaen Elder

@Yinla said it a lot nicer, but you don't know what you're talking about. House of Thule is easily one of the best eras of EQ if not the best "later" expansion. The devs truly cared in creating HOT and it shows when you play its zones and content. Honestly, why are you even here commenting? Go back to P99 Green or Orange and stay there. Miragul isn't about you and there's a whole community that adores HoT. You're just here "passing through" arguing in bad faith, badmouthing content you've never tried, content that you're not about to try out on Miragul, and you have no intention of ever doing so!
    code-zero, Reht and Yinla like this.
  20. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

No AoC = No desire to restart there. Selos will still cap expansions out as fast as Miragul and have a ton of extra benefits.

AoC is the new benchmark for servers. They should just be a standard feature on every server, and if your starting over on a server without them, you really are handcuffing yourself on content and subjecting yourself to campers and botters monopolizing content they deny you access too.