Torment of Velious Raids

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dovhesi, Oct 22, 2019.

1. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This sentiment is why raiding is not for everyone. It's about the competition, not the content. Open raiding may not be for you, but I'm not sad about it. For me, it hearkens back to the days of original EQ. Zones were open to everyone. Whether you could survive or beat them was a different story entirely.

Gating raid content behind group content always felt artificial to me. Like having the cojones to enter Nagafen's lair wasn't proof enough of my mettle.

Anyway, point taken. But I, for one, am aboard this train.
    Xanathol and Redemption like this.
  2. Cadira Augur

If this general template is going into play, I think some simple best of both worlds compromises would make everyone happy:

Give us t1 day one, t2 after a month and a half, and t3 3 months in.
    Make the t3 raids HARD. Separate the boys from the men. This is the only true show of strength. Who cares who beats it 2s earlier than the next guild? Or hours earlier because they got a force together at 12am.

Tucohs idea of having the raids impossible and slowly getting easier over months is on the right course. At the least, make them a$$ beaters so, even though we all access at the same time, only the strongest can beat them at all when they first go live.
    Whulfgar and FawnTemplar like this.
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

So why would anyone but the top 5 guilds even bother with them until they are beaten? Raids should be beatable when they are implemented (after learning mechanics), I'd rather not go back to how GoD raids were implemented. :rolleyes:
  4. Tucoh Augur

For posterity from the beta forum version of this thread:
    Would be interesting to also do this to the T1/T2 raids too, but keep reducing them after being beaten until they are appropriately difficult, and guilds can request that difficulty multiplier to show how strong they are.
  5. Cadira Augur

Well, in theory, t1 and 2 raids will be hard enough that lower end guilds will still be working on them by the time t3 has been figured out/brought to scale.

I don't think they should be impossible but hard for sure.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Part of the reason given for this is to remove the pressure to raid over the holidays and opening raids on day 1 would go against that entire goal.
  7. Marton Augur

The decision to raid or not during holidays falls on guild leadership people, not on devs.

Having Tier 1 available on release harms nobody.
    Tour, Koryu and Mintalie like this.
  8. Astral64 Augur

We are all adults and can decide if and when we want to raid. We do not need your help with this.

Those opposed to raiding on certain days simply do not have to.
    Ryino, Tour, Koryu and 1 other person like this.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It also allows the devs to be around should anything go drastically wrong with a raid. RoS was missing The Overthere raid for a few weeks due to an expolit over the holidays a couple of years back.

If the devs are all enjoying the holidays they won't be around to fix any raids.
    Ratbo Peep likes this.
  10. Absor Developer

There is that, too. :p
    Axxius, Zippie, Xanathol and 3 others like this.
  11. Svann2 The Magnificent

Mostly true, except not everyone is an adult. Kids play too.
  12. Tucoh Augur

I think raids should be open, but all raiders need to provide written confirmation from at least two grandmas, aunts, nieces or sisters that they have satisfied their holiday festivity responsibilities before being allowed into the raid.

85% rules apply.
    Axxius, Kimbella, Zamiam and 2 others like this.
  13. Astral64 Augur

[IMG]
    Kimbella likes this.
  14. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Most of us are just big kids!
    Tucoh likes this.
  15. Horyuken Augur

I think the youngest person who plays with us is 22? 21. I don't think many 12-16 year old people are playing EQ
    Ratbo Peep likes this.
  16. Ratbo Peep Augur

I like the concept of not locking raid progression behind endless flagging. Like others said, the "one night a week" people (and guests) can now participate as wanted and/or needed.
    I'm also OK with the one month "Holiday Break". Motivated players (with free time) can do Group Progression and farm RKII spells and new augs for a month. Whatever guilds lay the "best groundwork" during that "prep month" will have an easier time progressing through the raids. So it's not "time lost" by any means. The Devs get their Holiday break too! Don't forget there is a "mad scramble" for the Devs during the Beta and initial launch. They need this break. But when the Holidays are over - "LET THE GAMES BEGIN!"
    Zippie and Yinla like this.
  17. Ratbo Peep Augur

Our youngest is in his 30's, oldest 76. Our median age is 50+.
    We get kids and grandkids over the Holidays. Just doing the group progression and the RKII spells is plenty of work.
    -Rat (was 39 when EQ launched - spent many years in "Air Warrior" before that.)
  18. Laronk Augur

Umm I raid for the content. I don't care if someone else beats the event first. My competition is doing better than others of the same class on my raid.
    Zippie likes this.
  19. Whulfgar Augur

Now that I've had time in ToV.. on beta.. ran the missions hunted the nameds.. raided the content..

All I've been wondering is simple..

How is a 3 month lag.. on last T3 raids of the expansion.. going to help the none top ten guilds at all ??

They barely have the time to bust the last raids of each expansion with a full 12 month cycle.. and now they get that cut down to only 9 months ..

I don't see this as some thing they should like. What do you guys think ?
  20. Svann2 The Magnificent

I dont personally know anyones age, but I do see people from time to time running in a circle when bored.