Server Discussion - Non Truebox rule set.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by dreamweaver, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Machen New Member

Clearly that's not even on the table. DBG/SOE/VERANT/whoever haven't been able to stop all 3rd party programs since 1999. If they could, great, but they can't.
  2. Gootak New Member

Saying no one would adhere to the rules and everyone will resort to 3rd party software is completely generalisation though and there's definately a range of people and reasons to box. You may have had experiences which I'm certainly not saying you havn't - We have all seen the box armies on TLP's as well, but there's also a very large number of people across TLP's that went and bought multiple laptops so they could legitimately box according to the guidelines and have enough boxing power to enjoy content that they want, or because their guilds need clerics or for many other legitimate reasons to want to box without use of third party programs. It takes 30 seconds on google to find a very simple guide on how to get past truebox but instead so many people went and paid money to buy cheap laptops and adhere to truebox rules. There are a lot of us out there that simply just like boxing, .

Also, This discussion shouldn't be about boxing vs trueboxing vs 3rd party programs. There's been a tonne of truebox tlps, Miragul's rule set isn't being touched, this is suppose to be about a rule set for a non truebox server , "Make it truebox" doesn't fit the discussion and I also get the reasons why people want to play on truebox servers and that the potential boxing server isn't for them.... which you get the choice of that too across a large number of servers in various era's.
  3. Rotlust Augur

I approve of a non truebox server as a containment server. Boxers who play the game to make a multi player experience a solo one are in part what started the fall of EQ in the first place.

I vote yes so that all the boxers can go over there and play with themselves.
  4. Rotlust Augur

I don't think you're in the minority, just everyone who agrees with you is brow beaten into a pulp on these forums. The fact that a certain free server has as many people as it does with no support with a hard no box rule has thousands of people on at a time is testimate to that. I would support a non-truebox server and a hard no box server.
  5. Relentless Insomnia

Hey Dreamweaver I think you need to clarify to these people (and talk to the Devs to confirm of course) but my understanding is that the Truebox Ruleset INCLUDES:

Agents of Change (Instances)
    Mitigation of the Mighty on Bosses
    No focus effects until Luclin

..Among other things that are Truebox specific. I don't think people realize that without the server being "Truebox" they lose the above and other features. Or perhaps you can clarify for us what a Boxing Server Ruleset looks like so we know exactly what we are talking about before this thread gets to 25 pages of pure conjecture.
  6. Gootak New Member

These are just rules that can be added and are not truebox specific however some like No focus effects until luclin have only been implemented on Truebox servers (in this case only Mangler has had no FE til luclin).

From my understanding this thread is meant to determine what collective ruleset the No TB server should have. However agree'd that a list would be nice as to not get off track - I'm sure they have something in mind already as well.
  7. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

No, you don't understand at all. It's not a generalization it's just the reality of things. DBG has never really done anything about the 3rd party programs on other servers and they most likely never will. It doesn't really matter if a few people actually alt+tab box, because the server will be filled with bots and armies.
  8. Kruggan_Darkblood Lorekeeper

Yes I vote for a non-Truebox server and would love to see the following:

1. Non-Truebox
    2. Subscription required
    3. Firiona Vie loot rules
    4. Agent of Change
    5. Start at Shadows of Luclin or later, with a 2 month unlock schedule
    6. FV/Selos XP rate
    7. No Trade Krono (or none at all) if possible

This would a blast for a fresh start and probably keep me busy for years. FV has been my home and would appreciate a new server start. I’d probably sub 3 accounts.

Thanks!
  9. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Wrong.

Stop talking about RF and LJ cause you obviously never played on them.
  10. Levy Journeyman

Were you even on RF/LJ? Cause I'm still there. The majority of the problems in Kunark/Velious/Luclin/PoP was caused by guilds and yes a few boxers who boxed 30-54 locking down content and excluding others. A significant number of people left because they couldn't raid or access content. AoC's would have prevented this and likely kept a lot of people. There would be other issues, but they are the exact same issues all the other TLPs have had.

As to your comments about alt+tab vs multiple computers just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone. I can much faster alt+tab play than multiple computers (probably 3-4max). You can't discount and tell someone they are wrong just because it doesn't line up with your personal experience. I mean you can, and clearly have, but it certainly doesn't make you right.

I'm all for a non-truebox server. If DBG wants to work out a deal with certain developers of certain software where they don't work on this server go for it. I'll happily alt+tab my 3 chars and be content.
  11. code-zero Augur

We have a lot of people coming into this thread not to discuss a non-truebox server that they wouldn't play on anyway but to attack anyone who would play on a non-truebox server and then rehash their complaints about perceived 3rd party software.

Those people are not making any contribution to the discussion and at the very least should stop insulting people who want to be able to box on one PC

I always recall the good old days on RF where I was running my pair of level 5 characters through commonland and was trained by someone who then sent ranting, hateful /tells to me for "ruining the game". From the tone I suspect that person could be posting in this thread
    SoandsoForumUser, Aneuren and Eangel like this.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Before they open up a non truebox server they need to address the issue of of botters and those cheating on truebox servers.

From what I have seen the problems on all servers have been the botters not those boxing legitimatly. If the only way to do that is to ban all forms of 3rd party programs then it should be done for the good of the server.
    Xanathol likes this.
  13. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

I played Classic and Kunark on RF. I was in TL in Kunark. Yes you're right "boxers" locking down raid content was a problem. But you're just wrong if you think the 6 month lockout and boxers locking down group content wasn't also a problem. Simply adding AOC to RF/LJ wouldn't have come close to fixing the servers problems.
  14. Eangel Elder

Basing your opinion on classic and Kunark when RF and LJ are both about to be in TBS is not realistic. Again, don't spew your assumptions all over a thread that wasn't created so you had somewhere to work out your frustrations with truebox concerns.
  15. Levy Journeyman

I'll give you that one, the six month unlocks sucked and probably caused some of the exodus. I forgot about that since they are 3/4 months now depending expansion clear time and that even seems long sometimes.

Boxers still seem to be locking down content on all the subsequent servers so not sure that we can compare that aspect of it. That still seems to be a problem on all servers. AoC's wouldn't have fixed the servers, but I think it would have helped by a significant amount.

Edit - it also wasn't just boxers, guilds blocked content. And was fun for the first 5 seconds when you saw a mass of people, then it sucked for the next few months.
  16. TytchUK New Member

I would very much like to see a none truebox server, starting around PoP at the earliest, no unlock for 6 months, then revert to the 3/2 unlocks. Was hoping the new server would offer this but will make a toon on there regardless, in the hope I can setup UI and hotkeys for a future none truebox server.
  17. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

I was in TL at the time so one of the guilds that was getting content, like 90% of the guild left for Phinny including myself. None of us left because of the lack of raid content we had access to. Some left because of the boxing some because of the expansion length and some because all their friends were leaving to Phinny. Lack of raid content isn't nearly as important as people think especially when were talking about Classic and Kunark.

Nah that's just people lying in this thread. Phinny basically had 0 content locked down by boxers and it was the same with Agnarr, other then like 1 guy who tried to lock down Efreeti at the start but ended up getting banned. It's only recently started to become a problem again on Coirnav and Mangler.

But that's what people are saying. People are saying AOCs would've fixed RF and LJ. That's just clearly not the case
  18. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

This thread is about whether or not DBG should make a TLP without truebox. Pointing out the massive failures of TLPs that didn't have truebox is certainly relevant to the discussion. There is zero reason DBG should waste dev time to make a non-truebox server that starts in early eras

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”
    -Albert Einstein
  19. Vanrau Augur

The failures of Ragefire and Lockjaw have more to do with them not having AoC's, long expansion releases, no pick zones and no motm on raid mobs until later on. AoC's won't be needed on this server because just about every raid encounter in HoT and later and group mission save for a handful are all instanced. Expansion unlocks won't go over 3 months and there will be pick zones. So the boxing issue won't be anywhere near as bad as people think it will be compared to how it was on those servers without all of the features that are on current TLP servers.
    MarttinPH likes this.
  20. Magic Augur

I like to see a none truebox server with FV loot, starts at Kunark or Velious.