How often do you log on, not find a group, and then log off?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Fian Augur

I am on Tunare server which I hear has a lower population, but I wonder how many are in my boat.

I would say more than half the time, I log on, see if anything is going on, and if not, log off and do something else. If I play my 110 warrior/bst, I can form my own group, but if log on my druid, the chance of getting a group is very low. I know that others are in the same boat as me, some only login, check their friend's list, and log off if their friends aren't on.

My goal is to highlight a problem more than push a certain solution. I can already anticipate others with suggestions on how to improve changes of forming/getting a group, and I already follow many of them. But even if you browbeat me into submission, it won't solve a real problem that hurts the health of the game. People that don't find groups, tend to be the ones that cancel subscriptions.

I want to contrast this with when I returned to the game, during the TBM era. My main is an enchanter. Enchanter were very OP. I could tank better than half the tanks in the game and lockdown mob aggro so well that even tanks struggled to get the mobs off me. I would run the various mercenary missions over and over. They would help with progression for first timers, and also earn currency. They were often short missions that lasted 30 min or less. So solo, I was earning exp and currency, and whenever I saw a person say LFG in General, I would invite them into the group. Pretty quickly I had a full group, and we would then challenge the harder content in the game. I had a blast, and I started to get regulars that would look for me to run more of the quests (sadly I often had to turn people away).

Compare that to TBL expansion. Even if I played a tank, the only thing I can do is kill single mobs solo that give exp, but no currency, no useful drops, no spells. TBL only has 2 unlocked zones at start - Stratos and GMM. So unless I am in those zones, I can't even invite many of the LFG crowd. Stratos is an unfriendly zone for killing; GMM is better but after a while you just get sick of it. GMM Darkness Howls is actually a nice mission - it used to take about 30 min, probably more like 45 min now with the tune up. But there is nothing else like it.

IMO, EQ needs more content for solo and duo groups. Options that give more than just experience. Let people have success in a small group, and they will then start to invite others LFG, and next thing they know they have a group that can take on the harder missions.
    Cakekizy and Duder like this.
  2. Conq Augur

Also on Tunare. This never happens to me.
    Conq
  3. Fian Augur

Conq, you are a boxer. You have your own group from the start.
  4. Conq Augur

I hardly have enough time to get everything done on my alts, every time I'm on, someone is looking for a spot in my group or has a mission they need help with. I'm still running people through trials and finishing their Challenger achievements. I posted somewhere else in here that "there is more to do in EQ than I have time to login to EQ."
    Conq
  5. Fian Augur

Also, I assume the class you are normally getting tells is your warrior? For those without high end tank characters, finding groups is a lot harder.
  6. Bigstomp Augur

I have a warrior and cleric (bristle). I can sorta be my own group, and often am, But when I want to play one or the other, I very very rarely have an issue getting a group.

Sometimes I need to form my own group (there are more followers than leaders in EQ) but I have not really seen an issue.
  7. YellowBelly Augur

The pickup group game has been dead on Tunare for awhile now. All that’s left is a few scattered guild cliques and boxers.
  8. Laronk Augur

Here's how to be successful grouping in EQ

Make friends

Turn on lfg and looking for more as soon as you log on, in the looking for more put your goal in there

You need to be the group leader, no one else wants to be the group leader.
    Have a plan before you log in, don't fricken form a group without a plan.
    If you know you need more for a group you could start off your session with a GMM run then try to convert that group into your plan.

If you're having trouble forming a group or no one in your level range is LFG, help someone else out.
    This might mean grouping with a level 95, if you pop a merc he pops a merc and you invite any other lfg fodder in grouping range you can get something done for someone.
    Help the dude asking for help in general

So how does helping a level 95 help you besides being nice and making friends? Well do you need:
    Collections
    EOK progression?
    ROS progression?
    Hunters

You can get lots done with odd sub-optimal groups, and be chatty in group chat make that friend.

If you help people on their journey to 110/115 soon and you make friends you can get to the point where you login and people will send you a tell "Hey druid face what are we doing tonight" and you'll respond "The same thing we do everynight Player_Name01, Fight fire for the 961st time to get the ultra rare ring!"
  9. Laronk Augur

"Duo groups" Can actually do a lot, they can do many merc tasks and partisian tasks depending on your classes you might be able to take nameds even. Remember you can pop 2 healer mercs or a healer and a tank merc and all the sudden you have 4!

Tank mercs do work.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I tend to log in, if the guild/friends are busy or not on, I go do tradeskills or do something else which I can do without a group or log in an alt or 5.

I still have plenty to do. :)
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

On the other hand I log on every day and play about 5-8 hours without a group but I do see your point that more solo content would be great. Or even duo stuff.

This says it best:

"there is more to do in EQ than I have time to login to EQ."
    Conq
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  12. Adruger New Member

I generally know when certain people will be on. If I am looking for PuGs, I still know which people are likely on, and can plan accordingly, at certain times I know I can work on solo tasks more than group.

Also on Tunare.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I agree that TBL was over powered. Overpowered for me? No. But overpowered for the general grouping population yes. The non raid geared, mid tiered group players needed ideal groups to complete some content. You weren't completing a number of progression with two players an their mercs. Many will disagree but I think the central part of group content needs to be doable by non ideal groups starting at a couple of players and their mercs. Sure it may take them much longer to do but they should be able to do it.

Since DBG tends to go from one extreme to another maybe this expansion will be easier. There is no progression for raiding and grouping tends to get the hand me downs so I am guessing no group progression either. The fact they don't have making roadblocks in their mind may mean a smoother transition to higher difficulty as you go through the expansion.

All that to say this next expansion MIGHT be better suited to what you are looking for.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Vumad like this.
  14. Tappin Augur

Ugh... Tunare is dead for groups. There is a lot of people who say they will do group content, and are willing to do some content, but non of the content you need (good luck with Smoke Trials).

I too would like to focus on one toon, but it's impossibe unless you are Tank, Shaman, Cleric, Bard, or Enchanter.

life would be easier if they didn't stagnate mercs since TDS. I wouldn't even call a tank merc a speed bump, because it often gets 1 rounded (even with max merc AAs) in TBL.

DBG, needs to stop making the majority content for the less than 1% ellitist. Also, we do not need anymore AA/Gear resets through HAs. We content that the majority can do, that is permanent.
    Cakekizy likes this.
  15. Laronk Augur

You can pet tank Wending ways or trial of three, the pet class might have to help heal the pet if they're using a merc to heal though.

Really the problem with TBL is there's only the one zone available if you don't do progression. (and for servers like tunare you might need a merge)
  16. Tappin Augur

More people willing to do content that no one needs or tell how you can do content no one needs... The content that is needed all you get is crickets.
  17. Fian Augur

Obviously you have never tried to pet tank trial of 3. There is anti pet code on the mini bosses there, the pet can't hold aggro. It would be great if they removed that code, so suboptimal groups had more options. I first noticed it on Cactus mission sometime after RoS went live.
  18. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I think you will like Torment of Velious. all zones are open, no progression, nothing locked. Free for all , in all zones, and (a nod to my Pally hubs) LOTS and LOTS of undead.
  19. Fian Augur

This is the response I expected. Good tips, but beside the point. I have friends, and it is the reason why I have 2 char that have completed TBL progression. That doesn't mean there isn't an issue with current EQ design that makes it more difficult to group than it needs to be.
  20. Verily Tjark Augur

I think this is one of the biggest keys to being successful at finding groups. I think the odds go up if you log in and say "forming a group" instead of "looking for a group". I almost think the whole LFG thing is an outdated concept for live server EQ. There really aren't "camps" anymore that are looking to replenish their ranks with folks LFG, and if a group is short a person or two, we can just pop mercs and get on with it.

I often have trouble finding groups, but it's mainly my fault bc I'm too lazy to want to lead a group lol
    Metanis and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.