Another round of layoffs at DBG

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Derresh, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

Layoffs are always terrible for everyone, company and employee. I hated the fall because it meant I had to do a few hundred seasonal layoffs on my job sites every year.

BUT ... I also see a very positive coming out of this. The company seems to finally have made a decision on its direction and efforts and it is to further advance the Flagship IP of Everquest. That is great news for EQ fans and I welcome the exciting next months or year when we finally get some solid news on new or expanding EQ products.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  2. dreamweaver Community Manager

Hi All,

While we’re doing what we can to support those affected on Friday, just wanted to drop a note to let you know the EQ and EQII teams are intact. We’re forging ahead on the expansions, and we’ll have more news to share with you soon.
    -dw
    eepok, Kialya, Bigstomp and 34 others like this.
  3. Arraden Augur

best wishes and thoughts to the teams !!
    KarmaKitty and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  4. AlmarsGuides Augur

She wasnt even on the team for a whole year... It makes sense though, it seemed like a sympathy job anyway. I don't think this game needs two producers or two people in Holly's role.
  5. Natal Augur

Well, I would hope that team members play other online RPGs as well, so that they can see what the competition is doing and develop a broader understanding of development in the genre as a whole. It is not a bad thing. In my job I routinely check up on what our competitors are doing. You need to do that if you are going to stay one step ahead of them when it comes to your customer base.
  6. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Maybe that why some of the dev's are so grumpy. They have been forced to do market research during business hours instead of camping that aug they have been trying to get for years.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Pretty sure the number of Devs camping items on live servers is 0.
  8. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Agreed and from what we could see as players she never did anything so it was a waste of a position and the costs involved. She wrote 2 or 3 producer's letters and was on one or two live streams for expansion launches for as little time as possible and then she left and let Absor take her spot.

Literally produced next to nothing and was a total fail as a hire. No offense intended as she may be a great person but that was a swing and a miss.
  9. Coagagin Guild house cat

Business has been saying this for 25 years, welcome to the 21st century of work. Yes, you will see much more contract and limited term work assignments in the future. Gone are the days of getting your gold watch and other old fashioned nostalgia. Maybe your fine performing janitorial services but knowledge work has fast been on this path for decades now and only accelerating. Get used to it.

And stop thinking of DBG as anything more than a holding company that specializes in entertainment and not just the Internet boutique of EQ. Microsoft started off and stayed a holding company itself until fairly recently. At least DBG does some innovation and new products, even with a gaming engine written back in the mid 90s.
  10. Piznut Angry Gnome

Yeah but kinda weird to have a pic of one of your staff playing a competitor's game on your front homepage photo :p
  11. Vumad Cape Wearer

Despite the satire I posted in the fade thread that "Lawmakers have to law and Devs have to dev", I don't think they devs are doing anything out of malice. The fade changes are relatively insignificant. I think they were suppose to be more severe than they were which likely means that the devs did pay attention to our responses about it. It also looks to me like one of the nerfs is actually an improvement on live. The conflicts between TLP and live aren't the devs fault if it's coming top down to push TLP.

I do wish they would make more bug fixes. There is a pretty significant list that I have made a note of. But they just implemented a real time crash tool in the same patch. Now when I click advanced loot filter and the game crashes, I can type in the exact item that caused me to crash and they get all the info from that crash. I never did it before because the reporting methods were a hassle. Now it's simple to get that info to them. Hopefully they are able to do something with that information.

We all go to our jobs and recognize the difference between what we could do and what we are allowed to do. There is a pretty significant gap in those. It's even more frustrating to know that a lot of time if money was better managed, or if no more money was spent at all and someone would just stop telling us "NO", that would could accomplish a lot more. I'm pretty confident the devs are in the same place.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

13. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Word is they are 'skeleton crewing' Planetside Arena, taking those employees back to PS2 (from where they came mostly).

So it is apparently more than 2 employees (Wrel, and A_Sites), on Planetside2, which they would need to even keep it running in my opinion.

A lot of misquoting (of A_Sites statement) is going on. Planetside 3 has not been officially announced. If it ever is, they are fools for trying, and they will fall flat on their face.

I'm begging them, no PS3 OR EQ3!! They keep losing money with every attempt to improve on games that are basically stable and have followings. Stop trying to make new games and just try to be good at maintaining the existing games PLEASE!
    Tolzol and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  14. Bamboompow Augur

Its a brown word that starts with "S" and ends with "Y" while sort of rhyming with "Fiddy".
    The cities with the most "Knowledge workers" also have the most dire homelessness problems. True story. Wonder if there is a connection or if we can do better. Accepting this paradigm should also come with the awareness of its negative connotations. I am not a Millennial though, so I still believe that its not supposed to be just about me. Han and Chewie are my favorite Star Wars characters, but I would not want to build a Rebellion around people who are only like them.

Not everyone wants to be a mercenary or a hustler. Most just want a paycheck, benefits and some time off once in awhile. Not having to work until one's dying day might be kinda nice too. Beats me when that become too much to ask, and you wonder why most everyone is pissed off half the time...or all of the time.
  15. Vizier Augur

Why is this company so dark on social media?

We're almost at 2020, people expect things like social media interactions. Communication is very important, and I feel like a few posts a week on an official forum is no where near what loyal customers who have been shelling out for 20 years deserve.
  16. Tucoh Augur

I don't know about anyone else, but there are something like dozens of interactions every day on the forums between actual developers and consumers, which is worth a hell of a lot more to me than some vague social media message thrown up on twitter.
  17. enclee Augur

The Everquest twitter is so sad, but I chalk it up to the players here are old and the type that complains about Twitter/Facebook/Twitch.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Facebook posts used to come up on the right hand side of the forums, they don't anymore, I asume they have stopped posting there. Which is very sad.
  19. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Developer posts and social media posts are 2 different things, social media is a way of advertising the game and getting old players interested in playing again. I'm sure some of my old guild mates would be interested in the new Miragul server but if they don't know about it they won't play on it.
  20. dreamweaver Community Manager

We are still posting on Facebook, I will look into why they aren't appearing, thanks for the heads up Yinla!
    Yinla likes this.