EQTraders

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Grove, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Grove Augur

The Message Board at EQTraders is suspended. They have had intermittent problems with RackNine. I hope the problem is resolved soon.
  2. AcemoneyFV Augur

Yes, please! I just started my tradeskills and had bookmarked tons of useful links. None are working now. I know there are other guides and websites but the ones I had were the best I seen.
  3. Greymantle Augur

4. yosco Augur

Oops! As a person in cybersecurity...

Oops!

Side note... thank god the hackers were only interested in setting up a spambot. If they had gotten into the underlying databases it could have been really, really, really, really bad.
  5. Catashe Augur

There a reason i can't view the recipe pages anymore then? =\
  6. Nennius Curmudgeon

Hmm Just worked for me.
  7. Catashe Augur

shurg, all i get when I click on say... Baking Recipes under Rain of Fear for instance is a page that just has the the text.. the recipes don't seem to load
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

Very weird. Different browser perhaps or clear out your cache. I have had odd problems like that before. Quite frustrating to be sure.
  9. Qbert Gallifreyan

10. Coagagin Guild house cat

You know that 'cyber' or 'cybernetics' is a made up word from the 1940's meaning to replace humans with machines right? The term is so over used today its banal.
  11. Catashe Augur

nope tried multiple browsers and cleared the cache and nothin... Only to look up a recipe is search for it
  12. Niami DenMother Apprentice

The hack only affected the forums, and the forums are a different server entirely from the main site, so the Database for the main site was not at risk. On the other hand the forums do have DB themselves, and I don't know yet if the DB that lets the forums itself run was damaged.

As for the recipes not working, that was coincidental and unrelated. It was due to the continued issue Ngreth has been having with the changes in PHP code (PHP itself changing, requiring changes to the site code). As such coding issues are found, he's been smishing them, but it can be pretty time-consuming and is squeezed into his dwindling spare time. That search page is now fixed!

~Mum
  13. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

I know lots of words that are so overused today its banal (epic, amazing, literally, totally, awesome, banal, etc.). If you're concerned about the term "cyber," that model-T left the carriage station 15 years ago.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  14. Coagagin Guild house cat

Unless of course it's tied to how you make your living as a InfoSec professional or cybercriminal. Then context becomes everything to your world. Model T or not.
  15. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

I thought the military's adoption of the term "cyber" was a reflection of how out-of-touch it was regarding the terminology of the time. "Cyber" was just something you associated with inappropriate online activities of a sexual nature. Eh well, it's what we live with!
  16. Asnjas1 New Member

Aren't all words made up words? What does even mean?
  17. Cakekizy New Member

Could we get the newer guides added to site instead of linking to forums?
  18. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Or it could be that they decided to go with the definition both Merrian-Webster and Oxford have. ‍♂️
    Svann2 and Nennius like this.
  19. Nennius Curmudgeon

Or perhaps they realize that terms change with time. For instance, the term cybernetics was "...defined cybernetics in 1948 as "the scientific study of control and communication in the animal and the machine."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybernetics

It would appear that the use of cyber in a sexual way was not in fact the original meaning of the term. Thus you are wrong.
    Svann2 and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Guess you didn't play Shadowrun back in the day or read any cyberpunk novels. Hint they may have involved inappropriate activities but usually it wasn't sex.