Lockjaw & Ragefire - Dev Question

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Sumyungguy, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Sumyungguy New Member

Any reason why Lockjaw hasn't been merged with Ragefire yet? There's like a hundred people on this server. Doesn't it seem like a waste of resources not merging it? I remember back when we had the Sleeper and Combine server, it didn't take long for the dev's to merge those two. So what's the hold up these days?
  2. SunDrake Augur

I'm not sure if you've not read or heard this, but they do not feel confident in their ability to merge servers these days. The last attempt [I am not even sure what servers, when, etc.] was plagued with issues and they have said until they can do a better job they will not be attempting to merge any servers.
  3. TLP Addict Augur

Probably shouldn't have laid off the people that knew how to do it then.
  4. Levy Journeyman

I enjoy the basically private server we have.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  5. Eangel Elder

They could offer free xfers from LJ to RF and that would solve the major issues, imo.
  6. Jareke Journeyman

This has been brought up quite a few times. Most recent thread I can remember can be found here:https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/lockjaw-ragefire.253437/

The only actual DBG "response" that was brought up was from Roxxlyy:

They missed their chance for a clean merge/transfer window. The servers unlocked PoR within a week of each other. I believe TBS will unlock at least a month earlier for Ragefire than Lockjaw.

Maybe Dreamweaver can provide more insight, but for now it still feels as though Lockjaw is the forgotten stepchild that no one wants to address.
  7. Gesiah Elder

I wouldn't hold my breath and wait on free xfer tokens or for them to merge the severs tbh. You could save your station cash and use that to make the move when you have enough. That's what DHS did and it worked very well! Good luck with whatever you choose!
  8. Sumyungguy New Member

That's the plan eventually.

I came back to LJ after a long hiatus, and didn't realize it was an absolute ghost town. Granted it is nice being able to have a lot of content practically to yourself. I tried Mangler, but truebox is absolutely terrible. No way I buy multiple pcs just to box, and I'm not one to break the rules by running VMs.

I just figured it would have gotten merged by now, especially after seeing the numbers there. Once my toons get some more levels and db cash saved up I'll most likely make the switch over to RF. My toons have been idle since early Velious so plenty to do anyhow.
  9. Machen New Member

The last server in Lockjaw's situation was Vulak. Players begged for three years for a server merger. By the time they finally did it, there were no players left on either server. If I were playing on Lockjaw, I would assume there will never, ever be a merge.
    Kattria Minx likes this.
  10. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

In an interview Holly did earlier this year, she said they were hoping to have a tool for merging server up and working next year, they only servers she mentioned not merging were Xegony & Luclin, maybe there will be more news on this with the next update or in the Everquest Show with interviews from Daybreak staff.

Hopefully they have got it working sooner than they hoped. :)
  11. Machen New Member

Yeah, I saw that.

The thing is, when Vulak was first asking for a merge, they still had people who knew how to do it and had done it before. I don't think capability is the ultimate issue here. It's a matter of dev resources, time, and priority. When a server is already down to a handful of people, investing the time to merge the server for those handful of people may not be worth it to DBG. Especially when, if they do nothing, those players are likely to resolve the problem by themselves by purchasing xfer tokens.

As far as technical capability, they could effectively bring about a server merger by simply offering transfer tokens for free on the marketplace and then announcing that Lockjaw will be permanently shut down in six months. They could do this tomorrow, and it would take very little time and work. Why don't they? I imagine because even that tiny bit of time and work isn't worth the effort, when the players left on Lockjaw can take care of it themselves if they want by saving DB cash for a xfer token.
  12. jeskola pheerie

Some background:

DBG's old server merge script/algorithm/whatever does not work anymore. They tested a new version on two dead servers with an attempted Vulak-into-Fippy merge on October 18, 2017. Link:

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...-darkpaw-server-merge-october-18-2017.244011/

The new merge script partially failed, resulting in many orphaned characters needing to be manually restored. Dev post from 10/25/17:

Further inquiries into server merging since have been met with a boilerplate response, as they are back to the drawing board on this technically-speaking.

On top of that, paying customers have set a precedent by paying to move entire guilds across servers, particularly from Lockjaw to Ragefire (Faceless Insanity, followed by Dead Halfling Society). These actions remove any financial incentive for DBG to spend dev hours on the next attempt at a working merge script.
  13. Machen New Member

EoE did the same from Vulak to Fippy.
    jeskola likes this.