We ready to dump truebox?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by oldkracow, Oct 20, 2019.

1. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

I think for all intent and purposes it's time to dump it.

The work around's all in place. I doubt DBG can even stop it anymore.
  2. HoodenShuklak Augur

Plenty of people refuse to use such software, myself included, but I do believe Truebox could be turned off on mature servers after some expansion. Later EQ, in particular TLP's, have such a sparse community and relatively 0 new long term players.

For example, if you turned off Truebox on Selo, I just can't see any downside. Sure, some boxer might run up on a camp or two, but the entire game of EQ is practically instanced at the DoN/DoDH era.
  3. Shakara Augur

I find these threads ironic. If DBG actually donesn't want ppl to box and true box is there way of making that happen then every single one of these threads is an example of it being effective. Sure some people work around the system but it obvious from the many threads on this matter than there is a lot of people who are not boxing because of it.
  4. Scruff Elder

what do you expect us to do with all our trashbaby laptops if they remove truebox :(
    jeskola likes this.
  5. qweasy Augur

If they really didn't want people to box they would stop people from boxing not this truebox half measure nonsense.

Truebox solves nothing that MoTM and AoCs didn't already solve. It should have been taken away from all servers a long time ago.
  6. Tucoh Augur

Would be interesting if DBG had a server that only allowed 1 accounts per IP and banned VPNs. Lotta lost revenue if you don't support boxes.
  7. HoodenShuklak Augur

It's a fair question to ask, what problem was DBG trying to solve?

Clearly they did not think boxing was a net bad aspect on Live servers (they left it alone and even third party software is "not sought out" by them). But they did not want boxing on TLP's.

It is my contention, after serious consideration 1 minute ago, that DBG did not want mass boxers in early TLP's. The open world aspect of EQ is at its peak; the nostalgia factor is strong and let's face it, in 1999 we did not know many boxers; and those early TLP's were a page out of P99's book, a staunch anti-box server.

But what about mature TLP's? Those are closer to a Live EQ experience rather than a TLP. Anyone past DoN'ish would probably agree. It's just not Antonica anymore...
  8. birisu Elder

I'm really hoping next year's TLP server is just a Mangler copy/paste but without the truebox code toggled on. Then the people who want to stick with truebox can stay on Mangler.
  9. Delphwind Augur

No.

Think of the truebox code as locking your front door. Sure, a 200lbs man could smash through it within seconds, but that’s not the point. The point is to keep honest people honest.

I have played on almost every TLP so far and 90% of the player base runs a single account. That tells me without a doubt that the code is working as intended.

GG DB.
    Ootax likes this.
  10. TLP Addict Augur

No, let's keep truebox and actually enforce it.

If you want a no truebox server then go play on one of the dozen or more existing servers that aren't truebox.

If you insist on boxing more than 2 or 3 characters then as far as I am concerned you are anti social therefore you can go play by yourself somewhere else.

If you are only boxing on TLPs to farm krono for taco bell money or to pay the rent then you should off and get a real job.

Anti social boxers don't care about the community so there is no reason for the community to care about you. Go be a one man group or raid on some other server.

[IMG]
    WaitingforMoreEQ, Froger and Hythos like this.
  11. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Truebox definitely should auto turn off for a server when SoD and mercenaries unlock.

There’s no reason to prevent boxing when you can just pay mercenaries to join your group as fill in for players.
    Hateseeker and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

It's been explained many times why that won't work. Specifically, how are people in the same household supposed to play together? Universities? LAN Centers (OK, if there were such a thing anymore)?

I don't think they can detect VPNs anyway.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

I think that's it. They saw the rampant botting on Ragefire/Lockjaw as a detriment to their future TLP revenue plans so they attempted to stop it.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

Condescend much?
  15. Junior00 Elder

I am deeply offended.... (can't post images or something correctly, idk!) Got it!
    [IMG]
  16. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

I get it completely I box the regular way but I'm tired like most of seeing the folks with 12 to 60 that I'm 100% sure aren't being boxed in that fashion and there is zero enforcement.

My reason to bring this up is now friends want to box and I'm lost whether to recommend the extra laptop method, easy mode VM ware or the more expensive network method to bypass truebox on a single pc.

I think if they aren't going to enforce anything anymore why am I recommending to play by the rules.

Why so upset. I was completely for truebox when phinny came along.

Now it's just being circumvented at a whim with zero enforcement I think a year + now of zero recourse leads me to believe why bother anymore.

I box as little as 2 and as many as 6 depending on our small group of friends needs.

I haven't visited taco bell since 1999, I don't sell krono DBG can testify to that and check my accounts and wonder why the hell this person has so many krono sitting on my accounts.

If I wanted to cheat and make a raid I could do that but I have zero intentions of ever boxing more than 6, most of my play time is on 2 to 4 characters as needed. With a majority of my playtime sitting in the EC tunnel on mules.
  17. Hythos Augur

What we need is SWG back (or rules like it) with one-character-per-server-per-account-unless-you-unlock-Force-Sensitive-Character-Slot-in-which-u-ok-2-hav-2.

I would play.
    ** Edit - I feel bad for millennials (**edit edit, no, I guess not really) that they never had a chance to play SWG.
  18. Javaliscious New Member

Are we ready to concede for a 20 Year Anniversary Plan...the 2 servers and rule sets they came up with were a serious failure? Can we admit that making them truebox didn't help? Or at least Didn't change anything? Could we just say that if they had made a Boxing server with AoC's on a 3-4 month release cycle they would have THE busiest server in the game right now? But the people in charge must not want to make $$. The hurt is obvious as the company is letting people go in other divisions. Sure...EQ still has folks...but how long will that last and the 3 people working on EQ get the ax?
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  19. birisu Elder

So why are people so against DBG making another server without truebox? How does it effect you in any way what people do on another server? Next year it will have been 5 years since Ragefire, I think it's time for another go
  20. yerm Augur

Making a new non truebox server? Have at it. Dumping it from existing truebox ones? Naturally its supporters are strongly against it.

Despite how supposedly easy it is to circumvent, and how supposedly rampant the abuse is, I am playing on a server where basically nobody (that I can tell) rolls with more than 6 characters. I am playing with dudes who currently box less chars than they did way back on fippy, let alone ragefire. It's not perfect and it gets circumvented, but at least in part it seems to work.

I've seen people suspended as much as 21 days for truebox violations. Part of me thinks that there's gotta be folks who mysteriously ghost the server who actually were banned, not just quitting. I wish anti cheating enforcement was a lot higher but it's not zero.
    Ootax and code-zero like this.