/pick situation after patch

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mags, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Mags New Member

I am not quite sure what the intention or motivation for this change is, but i find it rather bad.

Now when you move to a camp and its taken (yes you can ask in OOC but it's not always replied), you can't just pick over. If it gets too crowded in an area, you cant pick to a new instance - you'll have to start over from zone in/succor point again.

This leads of course to group break ups, people being frustrated etc.

Can this be investigated and maybe retuned? Example - if you use /pick more than once in 30 mins, you get put to zone in etc? I am sure it is possible to come up with some mechanics that will help us.

Thanks
    Zunnoab and Yinla like this.
  2. LDEffectsMe Augur

This change to /pick is a terrible change that no one asked for. For instance, guilds were able to take multiple warriors/clerics down to the Queen/Overking area of Chardok and kill the mobs, then /pick over, to get multiple warriors/clerics their epic drops.

Now the entire raid would be expected to clear through the zone a second time to get back there and wipe out everyone else's camp spots along the way a second, third, forth, etc. time. Which, I know my guild (being much smaller than a lot of others) will probably just go in there for one person's epic, find out a bot army has cleared the nameds on the /pick we're in (since we don't have a tracker with us a lot of the time) and then we won't have the time left in our raid schedule to clear the zone a second time, so whoever we went there with will end up being screwed and leave out empty handed.

Nothing like doing something that only works to make the game experience worse and does nothing to improve it. I don't know why Daybreak just does these things without ever consulting the player base first.
  3. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Pick was never intended as a method for players to circumvent content, as LDEffecsMe's first paragraph shows people were doing, but as a way to allow more players access to content. Even if the rampant abuse of bot armies wasn't an issue, this fact itself is also an issue, even if not as strong an issue as the armies.

If /pick now only "works to make the game experience worse", I'm sure we could disable it.
    Tarvas, Diptera, Brohg and 5 others like this.
  4. Metapsyche Augur

Oh snap! Call their bluff Ngreth! Turn off picks for a week, lol.
    Allayna likes this.
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Yes Please!

I hate being forced into a /pick when I go to a zone, I hate it even more when I haven't noticed and the /pick closes and I've wasted time killing a PH for a named that never spawned!
  6. Tucoh Augur

Turn off picks for the first month of an expansion release?
    [IMG]
    Gyurika Godofwar and Metapsyche like this.
  7. weebly Journeyman

Ngreth is pulling no punches with the forumquest crybabies today

I love it
  8. Zunnoab Augur

I think the taken camp argument has some merit, but I do admit the one time I had to deal with this when I got a tell about a guild member acting unreasonable a few years ago, I ended up thinking both people involved were in the wrong (and I told them as much). Clearly farming multiple instances wasn't the intent.
  9. xmPradah Not a dude

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but the last sentence here is just flat out passive aggressive, and in poor taste. The OP has valid points, though I do agree that pick hopping is crappy and I do understand this was not the intent of /pick.

That being said, there is NO content being skipped to get to a camp when you first get there by the majority of players. And if you're going to use this line of thought - I think it should be directed at the players using warping to get where they want to go... I mean, this change doesn't impact them AT ALL, but it does impact those of us who use /pick to find an open camp, which is why the change "works to make the game experience worse" in the OPs opinion.

This change was never asked for by players - we have only asked that botters and warping be addressed and this does NEITHER, it actually just promotes them and largely prevents the rest of us from even attempting to go to the same camp in another pick.
    oldkracow and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  10. Dyna Elder

I really don't understand the pick thing but is it why in GMM my group often ends after a mission in different zones? Why does the whole group not end in the same place? I have seen no one mention it anywhere am I doing something wrong?
    Yinla likes this.
  11. Qbert Gallifreyan

If you use an npc to leave, it generally puts you somewhere specific. If you let an instance collapse/drop task and let it boot you, it is not unheard (though not common) for any given mission to drop you wherever you happened to be when you were assigned the mission/task.
    Dyna likes this.
  12. Benito EQ player since 2001.

In fairness, Daybreak likely has server-side tools to detect warping (which, from what I understand, requires inputs to the server). After reading about hackers on EQ emulators, the older versions of EQ code do not have anti-cheat detections (TAKP) while newer game code has more tools (e.g. monitor inputs on P99).
  13. xmPradah Not a dude

Then why not address THIS issue? Server detects warping = boot player. Suspend repeat offenders. Don't have time to babysit or micro-manage this? I'm sure someone brilliant enough could write this into the code somewhere.

The /pick change doesn't address the problem - it only makes it more difficult for those of us who want to actually pick to find a camp. This change is NOT "a way to allow more players access to content"... it's quite the contrary. They're creating an environment where legit players are being pushed out, and cheaters still have quick access to the camps therefore making it easier for them to farm and continue their RMTing.
  14. yosco Augur

I guess even employees play forumquest sometimes.
    Ngreth Thergn likes this.
  15. Dyna Elder

Thank you, we nearly always have one in another copy of the GMM zone after doing Darkness Howls, but some use the campfire and some remove the quest, many times we port to a illusion campfire in another copy of the zone too.
    So have to run back the the entrance and speak with the NPC I guess to get out as a group.
  16. Dyna Elder

Why not make a server where the type that uses all that stuff to be free to do so? Would that solve the problem I wonder.
  17. xmPradah Not a dude

No, because they'd have nobody to sell to.

The thing is, these players don't bother me because I've been able to maneuver around them and still accomplish MOST of what I want/need. The /pick change will severely restrict that ability though.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I don't have a problem with the change but I would agree that there is rampant warping it should be looked at in conjunction with this change.

I can see where fighting to a dungeon camp and finding it taken can be a pain though when you have to start all over at the beginning again.

Maybe a compromise would be to set it up so that the first time someone does a /pick it leaves them where they are but if a second one is done within 2 hours it sends you back to the evac spot. Thing is this would mean keeping track if it.

What if the change pick without moving location function was made an aa button. You could set it with a two hour refresh time so once every 2 hours you could do a /pick and stay in the same spot on the map. I guess you could even make the regular /pick an aa button which would give peeps a chance to notice the function without having to hear about it.

If you dont want to make it an aa button you could just have a separate pick function /pick2 perhaps. I like the idea of both versions of /pick being a button where folks can look it up and read what it does in the aa listing.

This would at least give folks not abusing things one chance to pick over to an uncamped spot if they fight there way to a zone and find it camped.

And I picked two hours as the cool down out of the air. It could be adjusted to help stops its use by the armies if two hours isn't enough.
  19. yosco Augur

I described a method where these big time botters will circumvent this change 100% without even needing CoTH by the use of campfires and invised toons/rogues at the camps in different /picks. It would take slightly longer to setup, but once it's setup you could dominate the camps just the same as before.
  20. xmPradah Not a dude

^^ This just further proves the point, that the /pick change does nothing but restrict legitimate players and promote cheaters. I don't know when campfires were released, but they aren't on Mangler yet... they will just be warping (or whatever else) there.
    I don't have an issue with a character CoTHing the rest of the group... that's what CoTH is for (and ffs we don't need it nerfed). If this change is being implemented, then find a way to stop warping.