[FEEDBACK] /pick

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

With the changes can we please stop forcing players into /pick and let the players choose if they want to play in a /pick or not.

Over the course of the weekend I have had my group split multiple times in different /pick & base zones, campfiring in, dropping a mission and zoning out and just zoning in normally. Switching pick is now going to put those in the /pick at the zone in not too bad for some missions but in Scorched Wood the HA missons are a long way from the evac spot a long way from the rest of the group when you zone back with see invis in the way to get back. Not friendly if the group wants to continue after finishing a mission.

/pick closing down when the base numbers drop isn't fair on any groups that were in a /pick and were given a 15 minute warning, if they have been camping named which spawn roughly every 72 minutes (as confirmed by Dev in another thread) they have been wasting their time. Can we get this changed so that the /pick only closes if their are no active players.
    NeverPayForLag and Duder like this.
  2. Duder Augur

Excellent points... both very realistic and common occurances that would be very problematic with the new pick mechanics
  3. yosco Augur

That won't matter because server load > your gaming experience.
    Duder likes this.
  4. Maedhros High King

Wow who would have thought you would even experience a pick zone in SW in 2019.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Whulfgar like this.
  5. Warpeace Augur

Its never fun if your in a pick and it closes down. But I see that being exploited in a hurry.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Whulfgar like this.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

And who's to say in the new expansion that all mission givers will be at the evac spot.

Try thinking about the future not the here and now.
  7. Whulfgar Augur

100% agreed..
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  8. yosco Augur

Am I the only one who remembers that /picks used to work that way and were changed because ..... get ready for it ........... server resources due to all the open instances?

I can't be the only one.

I would love for it to go back to how it was before, but DBG doesn't seem to be moving in the direction of making /picks MORE user friendly.
    Spellfire, Yinla and Dythan like this.
  9. Warpeace Augur

That was a major stated reason by Daybreak for the initial change to them. Who didn't like private instances?...well besides Daybreak.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and yosco like this.
  10. smash Augur

The people who jump from pick to pick, is what happens now, and I understand why DBG wanna stop this, you can still do it, but you need to start from evac point.

If you stay in same spot instead of pick jumping you will not have the problem. If you go into a pick where the amount of people in original zone is low, you asking for it might close down in short time, it is up to you, you choose to select a pick.

And having a zone with 1-6 persons and none others, are waste of resources, which could likely be used better. Do you remember the problems there were with the resources when unlimited picks, lots of lag all the time
  11. Jalelorf Augur

Excellent points.
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

What if when the pick closes on it's own it leaves you in the same spot but when you actively do a change on your own it sends you to the evac spot?
    Dahaman likes this.
  13. yosco Augur

Not ideal. You don't always know when the pick is going to close. It gives some warnings, but if you aren't careful it will punt you before you're actually prepared. Ironically, I'd rather the opposite .... if a pick closes, punt you to zone in. If you manually /pick, you stay where you are.

Also, lets not blame server lag on the "unlimited" (hyperbole... there isn't an unlimited number of players, therefore there's not an unlimited number of possible instances) /picks. There's been severe lag before /picks were a thing AND has been severe lag since the change to close /picks. Other stuff is happening, too. There is literally zero evidence establishing a causal relationship to /picks and overall server lag.
  14. ~Mills~ Augur

Don't have proof but most of the lag I have experienced started with chat tabs and when they started muddling around with all the message changes and filtering.

Server lag or performance has just been the bullet point to use when justifying something and they don't want lip about it.
    yosco likes this.
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

The problem there is I think this is what they are trying to avoid. Players intentionally moving to the same camp in various picks and effectively camping them all.
  16. smash Augur

Did I say the problem was happening now ? When it was actual with lag/picks it was at the time of CoTF where HA was introducted, you could take instances with 1 person. There came a large amount of instances, making the instance server need medical attention. It can well happen again, because a lot of missions, only require 1 person instead of 3. And then there GMM, whch also causes a lot of instances, which could also effect why the HA was nerfed in regard to xp, as some people were soloing it, and dropping instance b4 taking a new one.

It all effect the health state of the instance server. I kind of hope there will not be able missions you can take solo, but all have requirement of 3 persons on, and same for HA as well, and put a 30 min lockout on any HA, as soon you killed 1+ mob(s) and you drop the HA.

And work in advance trying to prevent a thing from happening, is normally cheaper than preventing things from happening when it has happened is normally more expensive. beside having 20 pages on lag of instances, losing more good will.

A few people here will be upset a bit, but it will blow over soon, except for a few persons. Read in old posts here, and you will see posts about person X now maintain a single camp in 3+ picks.
  17. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

My group tends to play for around 4 hours when playing, multiple times during ROS we zoned in got booted to a /pick with 30 - 40 people in base zone but before we had finished our group we got booted to base zone as the /pick closed down.

I don't do /pick unless I absolutly have to, but you don't always notice when you zone in that you are in a /pick instead of the base zone.

Zoning in should always put you in the base zone and let the player choose if they want to go to a /pick.

Or just make the zones larger as they used to be and do away with /pick altogether.
  18. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Recommend a GINA trigger searching for:

^This zone will shut down in 15 minutes!

with a 15 minute timer overlay. It's always accurate.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  19. yosco Augur

Yea, but the /pick changes weren't made until near the end of EoK. It's not /picks causing the server issues. They might be contributing to it in some virtually meaningless way, but when anyone can roll up and get a mission with 1 person, the argument is virtually null and void.

Which leads me back to my original point. A simple policy statement from DBG stating that monopolizing the same camp across different picks isn't allowed is all that's required. Then, groups who know that someone is /pick hopping at a camp can simply show up, park it where they want to camp, and start pulling knowing full well that they're in the right and the /pick hopper is in the wrong. Disputes that arise can be dealt with accordingly.

Changing fundamentally how the game works because of behavior and not because of coding errors is kind of dumb. Why waste coder time putting in a technical solution when a procedural/policy one would suffice?
  20. NeverPayForLag Augur

The pick change is useless. If it addresses pickhopping botters then it hurts the players who use the pick as emergency point to get a camp which is camped 24/7 in the main pick.
    Besides pick has some serious issues (LD/kick from server always puts a 5min timer and some quests or mobs do not spawn like in pick0) it is always an emergency jump if annoying groups are trying to KS. This will not stop botters. This will annoy all other players.
    The proposal for increasing it to 30min is completely out of mind btw (in the other thread). This will hurt mainly the guys who get LD, try to go back and have a lockout timer and that happens regularly.

What is most disturbing is the port into the main pick when the pick0 has nobody inside. All named preparation for hunter (PH kills) are wasted, all time for getting a named to spawn useless. This should be adressed long ago.

Reminds me on the climate crap. It adresses symptoms but not the cause...
    Yinla likes this.