TLP Expansions

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by BudLightKnight, Oct 9, 2019.

1. BudLightKnight New Member

I think it would be a cool idea to make Expansion for TLP servers and could go down a different story line arch. If the numbers are about even with live servers, i don't see why just live servers get expansions.
    Xanathol likes this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The alternate timeline is called EverQuest 2
  3. Qbert Gallifreyan

You get the same expansions, you just have to wait longer to access them (by your choice).
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Oakenblade like this.
  4. Ceffener Augur

Hire a whole new dev team to make expansions that splinter off 20 year old content that the fan base will blast as “not being classic enough”, or any other thing you can think of.

Or make money by cycling the 20 years of expansions you already made.
  5. Xanathol Augur

I like it for the idea that it could not turn into current live; basically a different game, with more classic feel to it. Live is too WoW-like.
  6. Dahaman Augur

I'm not a fan of all new expansions for new TLP content at all.

Instead, I would love to see new quest lines be continuously developed that use the old content that are unlocked with expansions (meaning, live servers would instantly get all the quests while TLPs unlock them over time). I think this would be a marvelous addition for "new TLP content".

New quests that delve into odd lore and give small yet new activities would be an interesting method to make a new TLP feel like something extra. 1 or 2 quests added per month would add up to quite a few new quests by the time the next TLP rolled around.

Thought can be given to the quest additions to fill in "holes" in EQ's history:

Example: Gates is largely a raider's expansion. A few quests sprinkled in here can drastically increase content for the solo and group game. (ref. the Veeshan Peak 2.0 quests are actually great Gates era group game difficulty quests and more appropriate than nearly all of Gates for the group game).

Example: LDON is largely a group expansion. A few quests sprinkled in here can be solo character requested that might add up to an item that even a raider might desire (such as an AC 12, +1 hSTa augment).

More in-depth data can be collected from the EQ Community to strengthen other various parts of the TLP experience:

- trade skill quests to promote the EQ economy when it grows weak
    - quests that reward alternate items that compare to items that are gained via caustic camps
    - bigger quest strings in expansions that give lesser content (ex: DON, POR, etc.)

An Example Super Quest Arc: Book of Time Locked Historical Progression

- each expansion adds it's own chapter of potential quests (some old, some new)
    - the new quests could at times be a set of quests in an expansion to expansion series
    - reward(s) could be evolving over time (think shawl 1.0 -> 2.0 -> 3.0, etc.) to maintain expansion relevancy
    - the actual reward(s) could on occasion be an actual evolving item that needs to be evolved in each expansion to ensure people play in that expansion some (ex: an Omens stage item needs to start killing murkgliders or muramites to evolve to get it ready as an input to the DON stage)

And again, as more of these quests are added, this gives players a new experience with each and every TLP released.
    Nolrog likes this.
  7. BudLightKnight New Member

No, i'd say use their current Dev Team.

8. BudLightKnight New Member

Yep i could not agree more!

9. Roxas MM Augur

Ok, i am in a good mood so i am gonna reply seriously.
    Got a few questions for you :
    What era do you want to tag this expansion on ? i mean, it's a TLP server, so new and higher level contend comes out at max every 3 months, so where do you want to put it?
    Do you want to raid in this expansion ? how do you see the itemization of these raids then ?
    You really think DBG can just put the design team a full year on making a TLP expac that's only gonna last for 3 months max on every new TLP server they make ( because, you know, the design team is now making 1 expansion a year for the live servers, they cant just magically split themselves in half and do twice the work ) ?

Maybe if you want to explore new content, just stick to 1 TLP server, make enough friends, and stick it out until you come to the expansions you've never been before and enjoy that? Phinny is now in VoA and we're having a blast raiding stuff most of us have never seen before. You should try it as well.
  10. BudLightKnight New Member

I am glad you are in a good Mood! ill try and answer your questions.
    1. Lets say before kunark? or maybe after SOV? i dont have all the answers i just had an idea.
    2. Yes i would like to see raid content added.
    3. Why not? they say that 1/2 the population is on live servers. i'd bet that more people buy krono on TLP.
  11. Nolrog Augur

If that's the case, then you give up any further development on the live game. The one dev team isn't large enough to develop expansions for both. Plus you end up with divergent versions, different features and Progression servers that can no longer progress thru the original content.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  12. BudLightKnight New Member

That is all dependent on how they write the story of it. and so what if it is different?
    Only they know what they can and cannot do as far as their Dev team. I would suspect they have a ton of ideas considering Expansions
  13. Machen New Member

Once again... Their current dev team makes expansions that you don't like. They have deliberately chosen to make "live-like" expansions for 10+ years now. A large part of their professional careers have been spent making design choices that you don't like. What in the world makes you think that if they set out to make new level 65 content that it is going to be something you like?
    Genoane and Oakenblade like this.
  14. Febb Augur

No to using the current dev team and it will never happen. Developing expansions for TLP servers doesn't make sense either. The whole idea of a TLP server is to progress through existing expansions.
    Icaen and Yinla like this.
  15. Xanathol Augur

Like with many things with EQ, that may have been the intent but that is certainly not the way they are played.

People play on TLPs to experience the game before it becomes what its is now on Live and the closer it gets to what is Live, the more people stop playing. This is why when a new TLP spins up, a ton of people jump on it. The message couldn't be clearer - many people don't like Live.
    oldkracow likes this.
  16. Febb Augur

That is exactly how they are played. I'm not aware of any TLP that plays expansions out of order. Phinny is a prime example of people playing in expansions that is closer to live. The amount of man power needed to create expansions that only caters to a sub section of players at a lower level doesn't make sense from a business perspective.
  17. Ceffener Augur

Given that every year the live expansions get smaller while they developers continually note that they had to sacrifice x, y, and z due to time and money..,.you are currently not getting 1 traditional EQ sized expansion per year, it’s really not that hard to realize you would not get 2 expansions out of the same team.
  18. Tymeless Augur

If they were going to do something like this it would have to be a TLP that announced in advance that it would never reach live. It would go through like Planes of Power and then it would diverge into 1 expansion per year or something like that. I'd be interested in a specialty server like that but I doubt there would be enough interest to support them hiring a whole new development team to make this happen.
  19. McJumps TLP QoL Activist

It is pretty sad that many people do not like live, and expansions closer to live, since the closer you get to live, the more mechanics there are in raids, and the more fun they become. My guess is the majority of people who jump ship along the way simply can't cut it when the fights are more than "throw tanks at it and bring a lot of healers".

This is sad since the closer we get to live on Phinny, the more enjoyable raids are to me. It is not as simple as 54-72 warm bodies = a win. If you like playing the game by standing in one spot, not moving and casting a spell/auto attacking, then I guess you should stick to the earlier versions of EQ. But if you want something that sometimes requires strategy and thought, then the later expansions can be very fun. Some people are just not actually good at this game when it comes to the raids and they need something easy that they are familiar with, otherwise they are not having fun.

I personally think most of the game before actual mechanics were implemented was super boring. Not much strategy involved in killing Avatar of War for the billionth time. Bring a good set of tanks and enough healers and you win. That's not fun for anyone with a brain after you have done it a few times.

And another thing - Part of the reason new TLP servers have a mass of people on them is the absurdly easy farming of Krono. I know LOTS of people from Phinny have started on new TLPs just to farm Krono for a few expansions and then leave. Most of the TLP servers released post-phinny (with the exception of Selos) are ghost towns once they get past the prime Krono farming expansions, and I have a feeling the only reason Selos isnt is because of its unique ruleset (Double XP/Increased name spawns)
    code-zero, Icaen and Oakenblade like this.
  20. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

It's pretty simple live servers are a ghost town unless you are at max level + however many AA's you need to be relevant.

People don't play because there are better choices than playing EQ live which should have ended doing expansions long ago it seems.
    WaitingforMoreEQ likes this.