Does anyone (Besides Me) actually play this game because it is group focused?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Midnitewolf, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Midnitewolf Augur

I swear every other post has something to do with boxing this, boxing that, complaining that they can't truebox, complaining that they can't solo or that another class solos to easiler or what is the best solo class. My questions is there anyone aside from me that actually came back to EQ because they wanted to group instead of solo?

I mean I just don't understand why you come to an Everquest TLP to solo when the whole thing that made EQ unique compared to modern MMOs with the requirement of having multiple players come together to accomplish a common goal.
    Geroblue likes this.
  2. Machen New Member

If by group focused you are talking about large groups of ~54 players raiding things, yes.
  3. DeseanJackson Augur

Lots of people. If you’re not in a guild, join one that is doing in era content and then try to participate.
  4. Accipiter Old Timer

Not me. I played with guildies, PUGs, etc. for 15 years. I'm over it. I do have a couple of friends that play but they haven't been on in a year or more so it's just me these days.
    Geroblue likes this.
  5. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

My friend clicks start and his team plays the game while we chat. That count?
  6. Villana New Member

Group? You mean those people who don't box and always have LFG on? I have never figured out what is fun with that.

But then, guilds that depend on most people having a box at raids really suck. I didn't use to think that until recently when I was in a guild that really relied on boxes, and they looked down on people that didn't box. You know, each group has a boxed Shaman, and he (really) isn't there to buff or heal, but only avatar his main so the main will out parse the other mains in other groups. You know, the other groups who also have a boxed Shaman who is avataring his own main and not (really) healing or buffing anyone else. And the raid leader is always screaming, and getting himself killed by over nuking so he can get on the parse.

Later I went to another guild that preferred people not to box at raids, and I saw that you can kill the same content, easier and more smoothly with less players when people are not boxing so much, and giving their one toon 100% focus. With some guilds, it's all about killing content and making a raiding experience enjoyable for their members. And with other guilds, it's all about gearing the officers alts.
    Iyacc likes this.
  7. andross77 Elder

I feel you Midnitewolf. I'm mostly 'over it' because everyone's different and different people enjoy different things.

I just know for myself, I have PLENTY of single player rpg and rpg-esque single player games that I would play before I would spend all my time in Norrath boxing multiple accounts so I don't have to group with others. Examples being Zelda: BotW, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Skyrim, Borderlands series, GTA V, FarCry 5, Fallout series, Dark Should series, Divinity Original Sin, Red Dead Redemption 2 (starting next month) etc etc etc

It's just funny the EXTRA steps people take to make an MMORPG an RPG instead of just going to one of a million quality games that we created from the ground up to be a single player game.
  8. Corydon Augur

And I have never figured out why people pay multiple accounts to play this game avoiding other people to group with. If there was less boxing there would be less people LFG because many would actually be in groups from the get go.

Don't get me wrong, I am totally not anti-boxing. Not at all. But your comment about "these people" triggered me a bit.
  9. Fluid Augur

Your knowledge of the game is limited. In addition to literal Everquest is about the quest part, try to get a group of people to complete the Testament of Vanear quest with you. Ditto for just about any other quest in game. One of the wags about Everquest was it was really Evercamp.

Yeap, I have complained about Truebox because I pay for multiple accounts but can only play one on a TLP server w/o violating the spirit of the server. There is no benefit to being a veteran or for that matter a paying customer on a TLP server. Someone who sends DB $15 today gets the same rule set as someone that has been playing the game for 20 years and spent thousands of dollars on subscription fees. I think there should be an advantage to veterans as opposed to Krono farmers that use illegal hacks to start a dozen characters and hog spawns, but that is just me. Having a veteran reward that maybe gives you the ability to summon a vendor is unbalancing to the point it can't be allowed, but 100s of Krono farmers hogging spawns is OK? Most businesses from sports franchises to restaurants take care of their fan base. Thing here is i am and have been a fan of the game for decades and will continue to be one. How long are those Krono farmers going to be here when they can't make a buck?

You are only hearing one side of the dialog. First someone will question how to level because they can't find groups, then someone will suggest boxing as a way around it. Virtually every character can solo. The only difference is some need equipment while others can get along w/o gear. I always suggest people either chose a character that solos well or is in demand for groups, then buys or farms equipment for the 2-8th character. This is integral into every CRPG since maybe 1983?
    code-zero likes this.
  10. Geroblue Augur

Lots of us solo or molo. I grouped once or twice over 10 years ago. Haven't since.
  11. Delphwind Augur

Yes, I came back to EQ to group with people, and I do, every time I log in.
  12. Midnitewolf Augur

Honestly, I feel the same way. I really don't get why anyone would want to play EQ or at least why play on a TLP server if you don't want to group because solo or even boxed is just clunky as hell in this game. The mechanics just aren't designed for it. WoW for example if wonderful solo so I get it there but here?

Two accounts so your paying $30 a month, unless your able to farm around 95k plat a month since a Krono is now going for 42K on Selo server. Then you have to try to play 2 toons at once when it is generally kind of hard to even play 1 skillfully. So you got two toons both probably being played about 60% efficiency due to having to split your attention between two characters combined with the fact that even a duo of player operating at 100% efficiency will be at a significant disadvantage to a full group of 6 players in terms of XP gain and ability to beat content. It just doesn't compute.

I mean I get that having a box would be nice for those time when you couldn't get a group but it just seems like a full group would always be desirable over boxing just because of how much better a full group is but nope, that is not the case. I couldn't believe it last night when I went to DSP. There were 5 level appropriate characters in the zone when I zoned in. I was like, "Cool it should be easy to get a group". An hour later I was still /ooc LFG with not one person sending a tell to to join them. Hell even if they were all on one group, they still had a 6th slot open and adding a 6th member would have just increased their leveling pace but nope. Not one invite. Further I kind of ran around the zone and it wasn't even a single group, instead it was one boxed group of level 30 somethings, another box group with the a high level box PL'ing a lower level toon and one solo 30 something just soloing and apparently just wanted to be anti-social. Everyone one of these soloing players could have benefits for adding me and all together, even with half the toons present being boxes, could have grouped and leveled at, at least twice the XP rate but nope.

Yeah don't get it, not at all.
  13. Machen New Member

There's no way you double the xp of the guy plvling his toons. And it is equally unlikely you would double the xp of the guy boxing. Even the guy soloing, if you group up with him and kill mobs twice as fast as he can alone, you aren't doubling his xp, more like increasing it by 25%.

You're right that you don't get it!
  14. jeskola pheerie

And by chat, he means cyb0r
    code-zero likes this.
  15. jeskola pheerie

It is way more simple than these forums would lead you to believe. most boxers box because they want to login and immediately jump into their latest quest/camp, because they do not have a lot of time to spend putting a group together or LFGing.

What is the fix for that?
  16. HoodenShuklak Augur

If I could play EQ with 1 character and be productive at random times I would. That's the pinnacle I believe of mmorpg.

But TLP today? It's a waste of time. At the very least if you 2 box you can build a group quicker. But the more you get past POP the more the game is spread out and, even worse, the population drops or is siphoned to a new TLP. Simply put, if you want to play the game, regardless of how you feel about solo or group play, you run into a situation where you need help and it's harder to find.

In selo launch it was the norm to single box for a short period. Now in DoDH? You're just counting the expansion until mercs come out.
    code-zero likes this.
  17. Midnitewolf Augur

I will even use last night as an example. I started off solo. In the first hour, I made about maybe 2 levels with the XP bonus that was going on, from 30-32. I joined up with two people and in the next 3 hours I had progressed 10 full levels for 32-42 and almost made 43, JUST by adding two people to the leveling progress. If I would have had a full group the entire 4 hours I played, I am sure I could have made at least 15-18 levels instead of just 12. When you consider that the experience requirement to progress from level to level is usually double what was required from the previous level, I would say leveling twice as fast is pretty descriptive of the amount of experience gain you get when grouped.

The thing is that under almost all circumstances adding a person to your party will increase the rate at which you level. Even the guy PL'ing an alt will get a boost, it might only be 5 or 10% but it is still a boost and in any circumstance where the characters in question are level appropriate to each other, two players together will always level faster than one soloing and that pace only goes up the more people you add.

So yeah I think I do get it, at least I get that grouping under virtually any and all circumstances will boost your progression rate. However, there are a ton of players that apparently don't.
  18. Machen New Member

This just isn't the case, unless you bring something to the table that lets him significantly increase the number of mobs that he is killing. If he is powerleveling effectively, you will not increase the number of mobs killed. If he is killing the same mobs as before, you get a 25% group bonus on the xp earned, but then the xp for the mobs is split--resulting in his powerlevelled toon getting only about 2/3 of the xp he was earning before you joined.

If he is powerleveling and you somehow were able to double the number of mobs he is killing, then yes, you are correct and that would be a boost. But, if you are able to double the mobs a powerleveler can pull, then you wouldn't be having this problem in the first place.
  19. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Why do so many people think they should be able to dictate how others play?
    Oakenblade and code-zero like this.
  20. code-zero Augur

Because it is very important that people have fun the right way!