Player riposte nerfs and why?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Hamshire, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Hamshire Augur

Game Update Notes: September 18, 2019

- You can no longer block, parry, dodge, or riposte an attack that would have missed.

This has been in the game since it launched March 16, 1999 and I wanna try and get a good understanding as to why it was changed now in 2019? You are making some already undesirable classes in the game even more undesirable with this change and nobody seems to understand why.
    Venalin likes this.
  2. WTBPvpTLP New Member

It truly is a bizarre change.
  3. Hateseeker Augur

the avalanche has already started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.

unnecessary changes to things in since 1999 or, specifically for TLP, have been in since first TLP, have been being made for a few years now.
  4. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

I went ahead and did the 2 min of looking it up for you lazy gents.

Bigstomp said:
    “Is this just an ordering thing?
    Or does this mean if the mob would have missed you cannot riposte?”

Dzarn:
    This change was primarily an optimization to reduce processing on melee hits due to our increasingly strained zone performance.
    Previously we checked each potential defensive skill (each of which carries a performance impact) prior to (the less computationally expensive) hit/miss check.
    The team feels that the benefits of our zones running even a tiny bit better outweighed concerns over riposte damage being reduced for either PCs or NPCs.
  5. WTBPvpTLP New Member

Ohhhh, so this helps those poor saps on live that raid with /afk on because the current version of the game is so poorly developed? That's nice.
  6. HoodenShuklak Augur

Lol another instance of live ruining tlp?

I'm all for optimization though. Maybe a good place to start is banning bot farmers?
  7. Midnitewolf Augur

What amazes me is the concept that people have difficulties running this game in 2019. This game is 20 years old and when I am out of town on business, I run it on a 10.1 Lenovo Tablet. How can people be having issues running this on even low end modern gaming hardware.
  8. Xeris Augur

Because the issue isn't PEOPLE running the game, the issue is the game itself running. Reading comprehension is good.
  9. Midnitewolf Augur

Sure is. People are "Running" the game on a CPU. My point was I can run EQ without issue on what is an obsolete Window 10 tablet that is over 2 years old. If I can run it without issue on a tablet that might have the power of a 10-15 year old mid-range gaming PC, I find it hard to believe that current gaming rigs, even budget, low end machines, are having performance issues while running this game.
  10. Machen New Member

Only part of the game runs on your CPU. There is also a server... That's the part they are trying to fix. Hit/Miss/Damage calculations are not performed on your local CPU.
  11. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

That's science.
  12. SomeRandomGuy Journeyman

Whoooosh. The game runs on servers run by dbg. What do you think you're connecting to in the server list?
  13. AtabishiRealThe New Member

Chatoyan likes this.
  14. Hamshire Augur

There a place we can donate to improve the servers so things that have been in the game since 1999 are not removed every patch? Things are being changed or removed so fast that it feels like this game is starting to go the same direction as retail WoW.
  15. Lisfin Journeyman

This is a pretty shocking change and to find out it was for server performance makes me just face palm.
    Your trying to tell me the servers are struggling to perform basic algebra functions? Get real...

This change was primarily an optimization to reduce processing on melee hits due to our increasingly strained zone performance.
    Previously we checked each potential defensive skill (each of which carries a performance impact) prior to (the less computationally expensive) hit/miss check.

Yes changing this will add nano seconds to performance. However I doubt it is even noticeable when the change goes live.

How hard is it to make it only check riposte on a miss? I mean honestly there is no reason for the other ones, but to skip the riposte check is a huge change and effects high lvl players killing lower lvl mobs GREATLY.

Millions of instructions per second (MIPS)

Server from 2008 - 82,300 MIPS at 2.93 GHz

That is 82,300,000,000 ... 82 BILLION...

Lets say we have a million players on one server, ALL fighting at the same time.
    that would be 1 million (players) x 4 (checks rip/block/dodge/parry) x 100 attacks a second from each player = 400 million instructions less per second.

We are still a long way from 82 billion.

Your telling me a server that can do 82K+ MIPS will have noticeable improvement by not checking 4 extra variables? I highly doubt it. Unless you have every server on one machine, and if that is the case, upgrade to more servers with the money we are paying to PLAY. Dont change the game we are PAYING for to help reduce your costs.
  16. Lisfin Journeyman

17. Xanathol Augur

Besides being a logical fallacy (riposte is a return attack from a parry), riposting on misses was the underlying issue to many things, such as sk swarming, shakerpaging, etc.Moving the check after a check for a miss not only makes sense (how would you riposte a wildly errant miss?) but resolves past and potential future issues.
  18. Lisfin Journeyman

It also has other meaning now days.
    riposte

noun
    ri·​poste | \ ri-ˈpōst
    Definition of riposte
    1 : a fencer's quick return thrust following a parry
    2 : a retaliatory verbal sally : retort
    3 : a retaliatory maneuver or measure

(how would you riposte a wildly errant miss?)
    Using number 3, you swing at them when they are over extended and the miss...

Also shakerpaging never used the misses to help kill, you can't proc on ripostes, it was the AE ability that let you hit everything near you that made it proc. The ripostes was so you would'nt die in the few seconds it took to proc from the AE hits.
  19. Xanathol Augur

Literally the first thing Google returns:
    ri·poste
    /rəˈpōst/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    noun: riposte; plural noun: ripostes
    1. 1.
      a quick, clever reply to an insult or criticism.
    2. 2.
      a quick return thrust following a parry
    Didn't say there were procs on misses now, did I?
  20. HoodenShuklak Augur

So now we must get a successful party before riposting too?!
    Sirene_Fippy likes this.