Preview of Upcoming Changes to Combat Escape AA Abilities

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Dzarn, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Angahran Augur

Percentage based costs mean these abilities actually get WORSE as you get better gear, etc to increase your mana/end pools!!!

And can someone PLEASE answer if these are % of TOTAL or % of REMAINING ?
    PCSS likes this.
  2. Allayna Augur

Who is using fade as an aggro management tool? This change won't effect me as it is such a rarely used niche ability (training to the tables in PoFire group instance and fading to avoid clearing a crap-tastic amount of mobs). In raids it is a rarely beneficial as a way to hit haitus or breather.
  3. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I know this is often said in jest but this is actually a really big nerf for the current TLP servers. Phinigel specifically is in VoA and there are two top tier raid events in that expansion that have emotes requiring players fade and you are likely to receive several of them over the course of the event. Nerfing half the class Fade abilities to have 5x longer reuses just means those classes cannot successfully navigate those emotes. Granted I think one of those emotes should only select the classes in the short reuse group of the classes.

I still fail to see why they are adamant and keeping the level requirement on the ability? Just back-date the change to Hiatus onto everything in the respite line so that if you want to increase your endurance hugely after fading on a raid you have to suffer reduced attack speed to do so. Then there’s no need for the level limitation on Fade abilities.
    PCSS likes this.
  4. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I think I just read wrong. I thought you were alluding to raids. My apologies.
    PCSS likes this.
  5. Froglok Augur

Looks like group content just got much harder, just because of this alone.

Perhaps compensate with improved (less fail, works on higher levels) and longer duration Pacify, root, snare and mezz?
    PCSS likes this.
  6. ~Mills~ Augur

I just hate the slippery slope we are all on now. And how any and everything can just be changed, often for the worse, on a whim when nothing was really broken or wrong with it. Not a rule but typically if it wasn't broken it was left as it was even if someone disagreed with it after the fact. Going back and changing any and everything years or decades after the fact benefits no one.

Would the game even be around right now if:
    • the nuclear option was used any time something granted to much initially
    • or when players used or played in a manner different then intended
    • or if someone took over a role or responsibility and tossed out the old because they didn't agree with how it was handled
    • if every dev pet peeve was addressed regardless of the circumstances
    There are a ton of things that have no resource cost to them despite their power and usage. Is it just a matter of time until they are hit destroying their use some? There are a ton of things that are so drastically improved or altered via AA that they 100% impact what spell/disc development can come to be and yet they remain untouched. Are we to expect that say Twisted Change, just an example but spurn, savage spirit, withstand, heel, etc all the same, suddenly will cost 20% of a rogues endurance since the disc was so drastically improved by doubling the duration and cutting the reuse by 64% via AA? Just one heck of a can of worms to open and a whole lot of what most would consider wasted time and effort that doesn't improve anything for anyone at this stage of the game with the time and resources they have.
    PCSS likes this.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

There are other ways then can control how much the mana cost is, with out applying percentages.

For expample
    Cap the abilities at level 115 (which is +5 levels, as planned)
    Each level expansion add to the focus AAs another 5 levels and increase the cost to use.

I thought we had all learned that percentages were bad for all things, set cost for mana/end/damage/heals stops things getting out of hand and if adjusted every level expansion can keep things undercontrol and where the devs want them.

I don't agree with higher end/mana costs for anyone who has better gear than the next person of the same class.
    PCSS likes this.
  8. Tumbler Lorekeeper

Today I broke invis with attack. I had the quest NPC in Pillars targeted. Thank goodness I had a fade so that I didn't have to attack the guy.

If you insist on doing this stupid change, then please make it so that all quest NPC's see through invis. Thank you
    Yinla likes this.
  9. Daktarr Lorekeeper

This is great news!! Now I can train named stealers like Ewwq on AB and just say that my Hole In Space wasn't up yet. No doubt you will be changing the Planar Overdose potions so that they are 100% non-fail rate also. And I loved the nerf to AA nukes so much, I am glad that you will be making other abilities drain our mana too, because the mobs certainly don't do enough of that. Wizard melee is so stellar in any case, we should have more opportunity to use it in combat to raise our defense skills.
  10. Evil.Iguana Elder

I'm not entirely against what you are trying to do, but I think 15 minute recasts combined with 20% mana cost is unwise. As others have noted, percentage based costs are obnoxious because they, in effect, punish players for having larger mana pools. I think if you set the cost for the ability at roughly 20% the amount of mana you think a character at that level should have it would be a better solution. Since it's an AA its no issue to have a new rank each expansion with a new mana cost and mob level cap. Also I think the combination of two big limitations, large mana cost AND long recast, seems punitive. One or the other would probably suffice
    PCSS likes this.
  11. Greymantle Augur

Sometimes a "true pulling class" is not what you have. Every class can pull using various skills/spells /tricks.
    I happen to use CT as a ranger a fair bit while pulling. Mainly to split numbers, tag a mob, him and his 6 closest friends come after you . Run them around a bit then leap/fade/inv. Let them start to path back and seperate, and tag a single. IF you happen to have a good tank, multiples are generaly ok. However in my family group, i am the best equipt and generally end up pulling and tanking.
    Everyone plays differently, no situation is the same every time.
    Like i said previously , i have no issue with the increase in re-use. Well i will adjust to that anyway. Killer is the mana cost. If it is 20% of my total pool that's 43k + mana per use, If it's 20% of available... well still not great but better. Five % would be a "better" cost if we have to have one.
  12. Balthen Lorekeeper

I for one and excited at the prospect that pulling might be relevant in the new expansion. When they made it obsolete I quit raiding and a year after that I gave up grouping with anyone outside of my box crew. Shooting an arrow into 10 mobs to just tank and spank is lame. People like to say pulling has not been part of the game for over a decade and I assure you it's alive and well in my world. I spent 3 hours pulling last night and not a single double pull made it into my camp.
    PCSS and code-zero like this.
  13. Lianeb Augur

The only way to make pulling viable in EQ is to make it where anything more than 1 or 2 mobs = face smashing. It take a huge amount of balancing heals tanking and almost everything in game to accomplish. And once you did all that people would quit over not having the required classes to do content. Oh look now you “have” to have a tank a healer and at least a puller or CC that is also capable of debuffing.

No thank you
    All pulling mobs single double does in modern EQ is slows the game down drastically.
    Allayna likes this.
  14. Kardash New Member

i truly despise cookie cutter class balancing. this is a terrible change you plan to implement.
    firstly, you gave EVERYONE a fade ability over the course of a couple of expansions... ok sure, everyone wanted one and pretty much everyone needed one for obvious reasons.
    THEN you decide that every class's unique mechanic isnt "fair" or "doesnt fit your vision" or whatever.
    so you want to unilaterally sledgehammer every class into a "box of equality" or something.
    this smells sooo much like world of warcraft where every class is basically the same thing.

can you please focus on things that players ACTUALLY NEED.

as a shaman, half the time i cannot DPS on bosses due to 15 billion necro pissant dots taking all the debuff slots. i am relegated to healing... yep... oooo and click my epic whoohoo exciting!

i am sure the community would be much more enthused about class balancing changes like you intend if you would make it a priority to fix each classes major frustrations individually.

oh, and if i do DoT up a boss on fights where we dont have 3 necros eating up every availible debuff slot and i am not substituting for a woefully underpresent cleric class on tank heals... i cant do HALF of the dps that necros do without being #2 on aggro list and insta gibbed if the tank drops or gets charmed or whatever. you want to make my inconsipicuous totem even less available?
    PCSS likes this.
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

For those saying its a small change or not much of a change my question is why piss off others for such a small change?

I would have to agree that they are continuing to shape things in the TLP part of them game. And to be honest it makes some sense. If they have a dedicated audience that wants to do expansion progression over and over that is probably easier for them. Sucks for the rest of us but it is what it is I guess we just embrace the suck.
  16. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

There is so much in this post for me to pick apart that I'm not going to because it would take me too long and I don't feel like it.
  17. Boze TLP complaint factory

This change barely affects TLP at all, and I'd be surprised if it was the impetus. Phinigel is the only current TLP with these abilities (aside from obvious original monk/bard/necro/sk lines), and Phinny only got them in the last 6 months or so with a tiny playerbase compared to early TLP servers or live servers.
  18. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

Hi Dzarn, would I be correct in assuming that this can now be used when pet is in combat, then?
  19. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Don't they have a level 85 starting fast expansion progression TLP coming up soon?
    PCSS and code-zero like this.
  20. Verily Tjark Augur

My only question is why... Why are you using resources on changes that arguably no one wants? I hope you gather from the community feedback that we didn't ask for this and don't want this.

Maybe you have learned that it doesn't matter what we think or want. You can change whatever you want, we will complain a lot, but you don't ever see it affect the bottom line so you drive on.

Constructive critcism:
    Reuse timers are too long
    Mana/End cost is too high

+5 levels for all is good
    100% success is good
    Yinla, PCSS and Ibadan Kun'Tirel like this.