Feeder Servers? Why Not? Empower Growth! @Devs

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tierdal, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Tierdal Augur

Why not start releasing feeder servers with accelerated EXP that allow for a server X-Fer into servers at that expansion?

For instance:

Selo Clone - 2x Selos current expansion unlock/exp/lockouts. Once the server reaches where Selos is, people can X'fer over to Selo's (or maybe even forced to avoid more splintering?)

This allows people to jump into a clean server with fresh pop and gives them a way to join veterans who started with selos.

Not only do you get new players who missed the Selos boat but you also inject new population into Selos getting even more people to live..and making more money.

Seems like a no brainer.
    Montag likes this.
  2. xmPradah Not a dude

I'm not sure I understand. Are you talking about a server for people who didn't join Selo at launch? Offering double xp etc, and then they transfer to Selo? Will people even WANT to transfer to a server where xp/lockouts are slower? Wouldn't this potentially just cause people to level up and farm on Super Selo (feeder) and transfer everything to Regular Selo - then just do it all over again?

I hope I misunderstood.
  3. Tierdal Augur

Hence why I said it should be forced X-Fer once caught up. The main idea is you create fast servers where people can start to catchup and X-Fer to Selo.

so intead of starting on Selo at level 1 with nothing and nobody to group with - people could play on this feeder server where there is more low level pop and then xfer into selo once at an appropriate level.

Doesnt even have to be expansion based, could be level based. So once you hit lvl 70 youd xfer to selos. Gear is way less of an issue than just getting up to speed.
  4. Raytheon Augur

Don't need a separate server for that. They could just double the XP rate for levels prior to the beginning level for the current expansion.
  5. HoodenShuklak Augur

Biggest reason why not? It would further kill the newbie scene on all those servers you want to feed.

It's not like at any given time there are a ton of people trying to start on any mature server. So it's no forgone conclusion that the feeder server would even be healthy, pop wise.
    snailish likes this.
  6. snailish Augur

Allowing character creation above level 1 would be easier.

51/50 code already exists (though the gear would need to be era set to allow this to fit earlier eras).

I have long felt a level 30 start would be a great option even as soon as Velious.

This could be done as a marketplace unlock per account, or as per the heroic 85 characters. Then it is pretty easy to lock out if you don't want an era/server having it.
  7. Hateseeker Augur

the only server he gave as an example was Selo, and to that I ask, what newbie scene does Selo have now? AFAIK the only newbie scene is when people choose to make new characters for some reason or another, and sometimes they pre-arrange with others for a powerlevel or something.

Selo needs something to power it up so it can accomplish its goal of remaining relevant for people to tour through the eras.
  8. Machen New Member

On a server with selo level xp you don't really need a newbie scene. New players will pass through newbie level and into range of grouping with max level players very quickly. What you DO need is a way to support them through the small handful of hours it will take to go through levels 1-50 or so. You get that with mercs at SOD, but Selo is in a bit of a no man's land when it comes to this for the next few months. Thankfully, unlike every previous server, it will only be a few months for Selo. No need to change anything for something that will resolve itself by early spring.
  9. xmPradah Not a dude

I guess I just fail to see the incentive. I would not want to create a character on a PL (let's just call it that) server, only to transfer to one where xp rates are cut in half. I have some concerns about chars just being PLd here just to be sold off, or bring gear over, as well.
  10. Tymeless Augur

i think having different levels of starting characters is the best way to handle this. So like a previous poster stated say level 40 for velious, level 51 for luclin-GoD, level 60 for Omens-DoDH, 65 for TSS until HoT and then in HoT the level 85's take over. It would get more people to start on these servers later in their life if they had a catchup mechanism in place for both mains and alts.
  11. HoodenShuklak Augur

Selo exp is super fast. The only thing I think would help legitimately with the lack of newbs is getting mercs.

But a central server stealing all new players is a tough sell imo.
  12. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Every TLP should have an exp rate modification for the lower levels as expansions progress.

For instance if the server starts at classic once it hits kunark; All adjustable just using an example
    1. The experience rate modifier for level 1 to 50 becomes + 25%
    2. Once it hits Velious, the exp rate bumps 1 to 60 at + 25%
    3. Once it hits Luclin, the exp rate bumps 1 to 60 at +50%, AA stays normal
    4. Etc...
    5. Etc...
    The same issue always happens on any TLP, the experience to catch up becomes just too tedious thus no one in their right mind starts on an older TLP and looks for the newest and freshest.

If they managed a TLP with a good rule-set and a way forward for new folks to come in 1 year, 2 years later they could manage a single server for a longer period, then managing multiple TLPs that keep killing each other.
    Just my humble thoughts.
    HoodenShuklak and Tymeless like this.
  13. Montag Augur

Feeder servers are exactly what this game needs to retain players.

Then close them when they reach the era they are feeding into and save money on all these empty TLPs.
  14. HoodenShuklak Augur

Whoa... by no means is a feeder server going to save old tlps. That's quite the leap to make. These players are almost assuredly going to be choosing the same servers they would have otherwise.

People aren't rolling on lockjaw because the early newbie levels are tough to group in. They're passing that server by because the rules are no good, the server is barren from top to bottom and there are younger servers. No amount of auxiliary servers is going to prevent the pump and dump tlp launches from continually killing the previous iterations.
  15. Hateseeker Augur

oh yeah, the only thing Selo needs really is tradeable loot. I was just responding to the idea that Selo's newbie scene makes any difference, although I see that this was really in response to the idea of other servers, not selo
  16. HoodenShuklak Augur

If Selo had tradeable loot it would be the One server to rule them all.
  17. Midnitewolf Augur

I am on Selo's and this isn't true at all. Sure the exp rate is fast but you still have to pass through the newbie levels which, because the server is so top heavy, tend to be levels 1-55 at least. I mean technically you can group with a level 70 at level 46, but good luck finding a group of level 70s that will take you and you still have to virtually solo your way to level 46.

So unless you are playing a class that can solo well, it can be really difficult to make it to level 55 without access to parties and even more difficult if your unwilling to buy krono to gear out your toon. Luckily you at least have Gloomingdeep which gets you some passable starting gear with excellent stats but even then if your a tank class, the low levels of AC you get on the newbie gear aren't going to hold you over until you gain enough plat or get drops to replace it. I mean I can't imagine trying to play a warrior from level 1 without Krono and without support of friends, guild or someone willing to carry you to max level.
  18. Machen New Member

You literally just agreed with me. Go read my post again.
  19. Midnitewolf Augur

Got it. I should have read your post more thoroughly, sorry about that.
    Machen likes this.
  20. jeskola pheerie

This phrase inspired me to share:

Let me introduce you to something I've been working on.

A BAT who fell upon the ground and was caught by a Weasel pleaded to be spared his life.

The Weasel refused, saying that he was by nature the enemy of all birds.

The Bat assured him that he was not a bird, but a mouse, and thus was set free.

Shortly afterwards the Bat again fell to the ground and was caught by another Weasel, whom he likewise entreated not to eat him.

The Weasel said that he had a special hostility to mice.

The Bat assured him that he was not a mouse, but a bat, and thus a second time escaped.

My work on gaming often brings me back to that story.

Our research team wants to solve gaming forever. And we think we know how.

A game is something that people do for fun.
    It is different from work.
    In many games, people play against other people.
    There are different kinds of games.
    For example, in video games, people often use controllers to control what happens on a screen, such as a television screen. In board games, players often move pieces on a flat surface called a board. . In card games, players use playing cards.

I have hope that gaming will be solved with this knowledge.

You remember the story I told? Remember the moral:

It is wise to turn circumstances to good account.
    And that, amazes me.

Thank you