vet aa Changes

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by taliefer, Sep 11, 2019.

1. That0neguy Augur

News flash. No One thought about Coirnav when making these changes. Sorry to burst your bubble.
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

They have stated it clearly. Vet rewards claimed on coirnav stay claimed, and count against the total available for the account. They will just not work until DoN.
  3. Dahaman Augur

That was my thought as well. Coirnav is going to suffer via the "Law of Unintended Consequences". That's why we are pointing this out to them.

There are two "easy" fixes that don't default to purposefully sticking it to Coirnav:

1. Delay the vet reward implementation until after Coirnav reaches DON.
    2. Update the XP rate on Coirnav to counteract the loss of Lesson of the Devoted.

I'm hoping that when they realize they are maligning Coirnav, again, that they opt to relent.

And no, I'm not holding my breath.
  4. Bewts Augur

Out of all the Vet AA, two impact actual gameplay, no? Intensity and Armor of Experience. Having those early on can make encounters less difficult than expected. I do suppose Staunch could also to circumvent the lack of mana or stamina from rezz effects and to a lesser extent Infusion could help with poor resists.

But the rest of them? Mostly QoL stuff that saves you trips to town, gives you back XP, or other non game breaking perks.

It seems a bit heavy handed or lack of creativity in how it’s been planned to change.

You also sort of penalize your longtime customers as the benefits of their loyalty now get minimized on TLP servers. If the problem was with universal access to these and not because they made the game easier; a better solution would be to allow customers to spend SC on their account’s birthday to buy these ahead of their account’s age. A dynamic pricing system would make sense where the further you are away from unlocking the AA, the more SC it costs.
  5. Zanarnar Augur

Frankly if this goes through, and they're not just uncaring #$#$##&^&^#$*#$, they really need to refund every /veteran charge used on corinav.

I for one tend to stop playing between gates and oow. So with this change if I was on corinav and had used /vet to flag my character there.. all of a sudden I'd lose access to those abilities and never get to use them. Had I known going in, I would have never used the /vet flag on that character.

So at the risk of getting a vacation from the forum, and not having anyone on corinav who is flagged (so again, no real dog in the fight here...); I must ask:

Will you be refunding these NON-RECOVERABLE veteran reward charges to people on corinav who suddenly lost those abilities and may not be playing still by the time they're available again? OR do you really just not care about how your actions affect your player base?

(and lets be clear, this isn't a change due to a bug; or some un-intended mistake made on a recent patch. Its been this way for years now with no indication it was an issue. As brought up before they even bumped up the GL to be available sooner for Throne of Heroes users. This is 100% on DBG, they need to make it right, or just openly admin they don't care)
    Yinla, Tymeless and Krezzy like this.
  6. Krezzy Augur

In addition to Zanarnar's point, there is also the matter of players who purchased longer subscription periods or who consumed kronos in order to gain access to VetAAs.

A refund / rollback is appropriate here, as painful as that may be. The better option is simply to allow players to use the first 7 starting in GoD, but disallow claims prior to DoN. i.e. VetAAs claimed prior to DoN would get grandfathered in. Alternately, postpone this change until DoN opens on Coirnav.
  7. Willy Loman New Member

It doesn't work that way.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  8. Tymeless Augur

I think this needs reconsidered. Our accounts earned Vet AA if you want to delay the infusion, staunch, intensity etc that is fine but the others should be available as they are just quality of life perks that our accounts have earned by being active for that long. Please for the love of god consider that for the TLP players and for once show you have some customer service skills.
  9. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Intensity, Armor of Experience, and Staunch just shouldn't be in the game at all, but Daybreak aren't willing to accept the fallout from the playerbase if they actually removed them so this is the tradeoff.
    yerm likes this.
  10. Krezzy Augur

Care to back this up with a source?

Here's mine (http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Veteran_Rewards):
  11. Dujek New Member

wtf?!? I can almost see removing these on future TLP servers until they are era appropriate. but why now? This serves zero purpose except upsetting players that have literally supported this game and your company for decades....
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  12. SunDrake Augur

Pretty sure he is correct. I believe its a matter of wording in how you are interpreting that ZAM info. From looking into it in the past I learned that the Vet AAs are given for actual accrued time paid, not what you have paid for but not yet accrued.
  13. Willy Loman New Member

When the game changed to the free-to-play model, everyone became eligible for veteran rewards based on /played time (also known as "entitled," as referenced in official everquest sources, such as https://www.everquest.com/news/imported-eq-enus-51037 . . as opposed to your fan site source).

The /played time increments regardless of whether you pay, don't pay, claim 500,000 kronos, or whatever else. Prior to the free-to-play model, there were some shenanigans where people pre-paid for account time to gain additional veteran rewards, but that was many years ago.
    Aneuren and CatsPaws like this.
  14. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

To be a little clearer from these patch notes Mar 2012 -

Q: What about veteran rewards?
    A: Veteran Rewards will accumulate regardless of your membership level as long as your account is eligible to play. So if you have an account, and it goes Silver, it will continue to accumulate Veteran Rewards. Similarly if you start up a new account after going free-to-play it will start accumulating Veteran Rewards right away, even if it doesn't convert from Free right away.

Source https://www.everquest.com/news/imported-eq-enus-524220

Which was updated in ZAM - http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=29293

But not in the out of date article in ZAM that references game pass etc and is really really old http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Veteran_Rewards
  15. Krezzy Augur

Thanks for looking that up. Weird that the article I used was last updated in 2017. Would be nice to see a current, comprehensive statement on VetAAs rather than piecing the picture together from different articles.
  16. Dahaman Augur

Has any dev acknowledged that this vet change is putting a particularly harsh and focused penalty on Coirnav? At this point, they must have read something to the effect.

Keep those promises please. Coirnav deserves the same XP experience as Phinny (the bad AND good).
  17. yerm Augur

Why do you guys even play on coirnav? Sunk cost fallacy? It's the slow xp no easy handouts take your time server right? Turns out most people don't want those things (see also Mangler announced vs as launched), so it's REALLY the "I missed phinny" server.

The real fix for coirnav is just to merge it into phinny and be done with it.

Anyway, the REAL answer to this issue is what Bobby said, awful as that concept is to implement. Having a tangible boost to character power attached to a static played time metric is TERRIBLE design. It's wild to me that they don't either gut those abilities and replace them with vet aas that don't impact actual encounters, or open up vet aas to all (and NOT for an exorbitant real money cost). Watching people burn out because "I can never equal the dps of someone with 7th" feels really bad. Having several folks in my guild who made their ber on their main account instead of a new one for vets, effectively losing a char (and dbg losing an easy 2nd sub), more a funny sad.
  18. Meredyth Augur

This change is not well thought out and will severely damage many people’s opinion of DBG and EQ and how they are run. Really, enough is enough. Stop making stupid decisions DBG. Like many posters have said, it has been this way for many many years, now is not the time to arbitrarily take away more tools and toys from your player base, especially these as they are earned loyalty rewards. You want to spit on your loyal customers?

The only acceptable way to do this would be to implement it for the next TLP. Removing veteran AAs from existing servers is simply not acceptable. Your major screwup on charm really shook my confidence in your ability to manage your own game and this just doubles down on that insanity.

I’ll be taking my money elsewhere if this trend of bad decisions continues.
  19. That0neguy Augur

Except you wont. Neither will most other people. They have already have YoY revenues from TLP's increasing each year and account for almost half of the revenue from EQ. So obviously what they are doing is working for them.
  20. Meredyth Augur

No I will. I’ve already cancelled subs on most of my accounts back when they bungled fixing charm and I’ve been eating my Kronos and watching what is happening since. When I get home from my current business trip I will unsubscribe my remaining accounts and if this trend of bad decisions continues I will be gone when the Kronos run out.

I’ve really not been impressed with you lately, DBG.