Raid content for the non 1%

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Windance, Sep 11, 2019.

1. strongbus Augur

2 of them could as they are both a US based guild. the 3 is a guild that stated outside the USA so they are active the time when 90% of the other 2 members are in bed sleeping lol.
  2. yosco Augur

A merger or alliance is another step on the way towards fewer and fewer raid options for a server. I don't think the automatic response should be "well, merge guilds."
    Zunnoab and Yinla like this.
  3. Metapsyche Augur

I know I run in a different circle day to day, but I’m a when it comes to grouping and raiding so I end up meeting a ton of people. I really rarely find people where I am like “yep, that dullard needs easier raids”. Not to say I haven’t run into a few potatoes in my time on EQ.

Generally speaking, I would argue the difficulty is not the issue so much as fielding a complete (and balanced) raid. 30 random people doesn’t cut it in current content. Honestly 40 people is a severe handicap.

I don’t so much think it’s an issue of getting good so much as getting 54 people to show up. I wonder if options for smaller raids would be much more helpful? *shrugs*.

It’s kindof akin to soloing a group mission, sure the best of the best can do it- but it’s difficult. Likewise, running a mission with 6 melee dps and no tank / healer is difficult as well (hence the balanced raid).

I will concede, however, that there has been content via difficulty that has been a severe roadblock for even fully staffed raids.
    Duder likes this.
  4. Conq Augur

One mage can run through PoFire to tables and CoH your raid, takes 10 mins to call a raid of 54. From there, it's a 15 min raid unless you want to spend more time clearing trash for augs, but that's more of a 1 group thing than a raid thing...
    Conq
  5. Dailor Augur

New JITTERBUG TLP coming out in 2020

• Now with bigger text
    • No raids after 8:00PM
    Vumad, Lilybeme, Elyssanda and 4 others like this.
  6. enclee Augur

The bigger text would be greatly appreciated.
    Pani, Fishlips_Jones and Yinla like this.
  7. Metapsyche Augur

What if content was designed around 54 and we removed the cap? Let people Zerg content again lol.
    Yinla likes this.
  8. Metapsyche Augur

If I could form a 120 person apt Zerg raid I’d definitely do more PUG raids because yolo we have a million people let’s ran roll on some phat loot
  9. Cadira Augur

And sadly, depending on how lazy they want to be, the easiest option for tier 0 raids is probably ntov round 3. If they reuse a lot of velious zones and such.

Honestly, if that's the option they take to produce t0 raids, I wouldn't even hate it. It's plenty of raid content for smaller forces to work through to accomplish something, introduce new or returning raiders to basic mechanics and get them some better than group gear, etc to help break into t1 raids, or at least give them something to do the whole year.

Copy and paste all the stats from t1 tbl raid gear and throw it on new t0 raid gear. Minimal work and would satisfy a massive crowd I'd think.
  10. yosco Augur

Sounds good, except a lot of guilds struggle to fill raids consistently, too. Not sure what the utility would be in letting 70+ people in a raid when on most nights the guilds would still only attract 40-45. It would still require mergers or lots of open/semi-open raiding.
    Zunnoab likes this.
  11. Horyuken Augur

You think lag is bad now, remove the 54 person cap and watch the servers melt.
    Sancus likes this.
  12. Tucoh Augur

My idea of easy mode is way easier than the typical t1 vs t2+ raids. I'm talking about reducing raid mechanics to be a tank & spank + one or two special mechanic that simply kills someone who fails it rather than wiping the raid.. Something that you can basically lead ~40 warm bodies to victory in.

As an idea, easy/hard mode is a proven concept in gaming and even raiding regardless of any failures in EQ to implement it. It'll increase raiding participation and community way more than the current setup that highly stratifies raiders vs non-raiders with some casual raid forces that intermittently struggle when the group-gear suddenly gets amazing from easy grouping zones like GMM.
  13. yosco Augur

Not after the "minuscule performance increase" DBG is getting by nerfing ripo damage with the next patch. We'll have performance capacity to shoot to the moon!
  14. Metapsyche Augur

I hear you, but I feel like it should be epic raid battles or group content. I’m not against a smaller raid option or “easy” mode, but it had better be for inferior loot. I think the advantage of allowing 70+ people to Zerg an event would be that there’s another 20 mouths to feed so it wouldn’t belittle the raids that can already do content with 54 people- we’ll gear up faster. And realistically our guild would “likely” field much more than 54 as we have a bench if only to clear content faster. My wife would be quite happy if I could clear 15 events in a tight 30 minutes... Lol
    Jhenna_BB and enclee like this.
  15. enclee Augur

These are always my fondest memories of EQ and how I got hooked. There wasn't a limit to a raid. It was all about getting as large as a force as you could muster. It felt organic and true to the game's origins as a massive tabletop DnD session brought to life.
    Jhenna_BB and Metapsyche like this.
  16. Metapsyche Augur

I feel like back in the day you were a member of the blessed few to have a COUPLE pieces of raid gear, now everyone’s expectation is full BiS by September or the sky is falling. *shrugs*
    enclee likes this.
  17. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Man, if only the mudflation wasn't what it was in Seeds of Destruction. That to me was the death of multiple expansion viable raids and soon followed the death of so many midtier guilds of that era. It's funny how such a solid expac was a catalyst that imo changed EQ in an adverse way.

The days when you could raid Tacvi through Deathknell - those were the days. It was so quick to gear apps it was crazy. Players became instantly viable in all that content with pieces of gear from all over that period.
    Sancus and enclee like this.
  18. enclee Augur

SoD would've been better as a non-level increase expansion. If, they hadn't tried the level increase every year idea, I don't think we would have saw the mudflation.
  19. Metapsyche Augur

It would be really cool if items became “unique” again. Seems like current itemization is the same for every class, “whatever has the most AC because yolo all the other stats are within a % or two”
  20. Whulfgar Augur

No tier raiding.. with general stat lines.. that would be good pick ups for casuals of all classes an returning players..

T1 should be very challenging may HARD.. for casual raid guilds to beat..

T2 should be almost impossible for casual raid guilds to beat.

T3 should be beyond all casual raid forces capabilities.

I for one do not feel all every stuff is equal.. you should not get a participation loot gear just for raiding.. and all everyone be equal ..

Those who put forth the effort.. SHOULD.. reap their rewards..

Those who refuse to put forth the same effort in both individual skill play styles as well as over all raid force .. SHOULD.. not be in the same raid gear ..

It's simple..

Effort should equal gains.

Harder content should give better gains.
    Weaker content should give weaker gains..
    And in absolutely no way what so ever should there be participation trophies in everquest..