TLP bleeding players after launch is normal.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Strawberry, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Strawberry Augur

I think that it is quite normal that TLP bleed players after launch.

People blame certain expansions, or other factors. But it's just that people leave a server because they just can't dedicate the hours needed to progress in the game.

There is simply a lot of pressure on people to level on these type of servers, peer pressure to keep up, and most people simply just don't like the grind.

Not to make it a discussion about that ''other game'' that also launched ''classic'' servers. But that ''other game'' has been bleeding players like crazy. 90% of the guild stopped logging in after a week, way worse than EQ TLP.

Anyway, I just wanted to say this. I think it's just what it is. People have lives, and they just don't have the time to play a lot sometimes. I don't think it's down to any other reason.
    andross77 likes this.
  2. Koniku Elder

People come back to these things, generally, seeking the experience they had with it originally, which was all learning new things and exploring the game and what is possible within. It should be no surprise to anyone when they leave shortly after returning, once they realize why they left to begin with: it's not as fun when there is nothing new to see.

The only thing that will keep players around is the connections they make while playing, and if they don't, or if those friends they make quit, very few are going to actually stick around. And since online communities are so antisocial and toxic now...
  3. HoodenShuklak Augur

A lot of them are probably playing competing mmo's like Pantheon.
    Icaen likes this.
  4. AtabishiRealThe New Member

Every game I've seen so far that launches classic style TLP's is the same way. Mass numbers come back because they like the initial rush, and then it's just downhill from there. You will lose players at a fast rate no matter what game it is.

A lot of people complain about the constant TLP servers that DBG have been releasing over the last few years but I think this is one area that DBG has right and probably understands quite well since they have access to the back end data and analytics. If I had to take a guess, it would be that the data shows the vast majority of players just like the fresh server feel and that feeling dies out after 3-6 months and there is only a small minority of people who want to play the server forever.

I think that the only thing DBG could do to bandage the bleeding of players that happens on every TLP launch is to actually enforce their rules when it comes to botting/hacks. The botters/box hackers are not only frustrating to see, but they also destroy the markets and a terrible market is a big factor in a lot of people quitting a server. Obviously there is a lot of factors but mostly ones that are out of the control of DBG, but enforcing their rules on unattended gameplay and 3rd party programs is not out of their control.

At a fan fair not too long ago someone asked the question to a DBG EQ panel about their lack of enforcement when it comes unattended game play and the growing number of botters/hackers on the TLP's and they responded saying it was unclear to them at the time how much this actually effects the game and it's customers and was still something they were trying to determine how much of their resources they wanted to spend on it.
  5. uk6999 Augur

Its hard to keep people engaged ( and im using velious here because thats what im raiding currently but insert <xpac> of whatever ) when you have fights like lady Nev and put that dumb MoTM on it so she has 1million HP and takes anywhere 25-45mins of grind to kill her. Then turn around and kill Vulak which is another slog but at least you arent ducking spin stuns. Then ask people to do it every week. Burns a lot out. God forbid you dont clear NToV in one night and you have to come back and clear all the trash again with a loot lockout =)

What is reasoning with 6 hour time limit on DZs? Some zones like ToV if you clear all of it can take a lot longer, certainly at the start of the xpac.
    tofu stir fry and Tymeless like this.
  6. Tierdal Augur

Selos is open - no lame lady nev! great server, not stuck in bad content for months
  7. Trevalon Augur

The problem with Selos is it just moves TOO fast for most people. We have alot of selo' refugees in our Mangler guild and almost all of them said the same thing:

1) They can't keep up with the server unlock pace or
    2) The faster DZ's means they have to raid like 5 or 6 days a week to keep up and they cant do that

I always said, if Selo's had kept DZ's at 1 week and had made unlocks 2 months instead of 1, it would be more popular than Mangler. But they didnt and so the server only caters to the most hardcore players who want to raid 4-6 days a week and I'm sorry, but thats not MOST Eq players in 2019.

And while Selo's will be ok with a handful of raiding guilds, it will never reach the levels of Mangerl, Agnarr, Phinigel, and even Coirnav.
    TLP Addict, oldkracow and andross77 like this.
  8. Chuuk Augur

I think most people just hate the feeling that they are completely being left behind after just a few days after the TLP launch.

Whether it be the disparity in EQ knowledge, disparity in time to play, ability to circumvent truebox, or not sitting on a stash of 100 kronos from previous servers - the game isn't very fun when you're clearly in the back of the bread line.

The sense of mystery and adventure that we used to pine for is completely gone - if I had to guess, the average Mangler player is probably on their 3rd or 4th full-time TLP. Everyone knows everything.

Side note - I think the OP of charm in Classic thru PoP is the biggest turn off for me. Having a wife and 2 kids means I play some weird hours and very rarely are those hours uninterrupted. This leads me to box 3 characters (legally) and unfortunately, it also means that I just can't utilize charm pets. It's a turn off for me because I know that my SK / SHM / DRU trio should be relatively powerful by itself, but seeing as though I use no charm pets, I know I'm at least rolling with 50-75% less DPS than a group with one. And in our wild wild west DPS-racing community, I know I can't keep up with the Joneses.
  9. andross77 Elder

I see what these people saying but there is another side to it. I'm in one of those top raiding guilds, decided to completely skip GoD plus a week on either end (end of Time and beginning of Omens, so 6 weeks total) came back and first raid I went on got 5 raid gear items for the absolute minimum dkp, plus one item that just rolled to me, no dkp necessary.

I have noticed the past week that with a few new recruits that just joined our guild they are getting their 2.0 globe rolled out (no dkp) and many nice raid items rolled or for minimum dkp. So the truth is, there will always be the hardcore 24/7 EQ players on each server but they also know they need numbers and will accept anyone with whatever schedule (this is not that other game with millions of players).

So if you want to play Selo's and see all the xpansions and content or just a few specific ones, come back, join a guild (there are at least 5 or 6 advertising at all times of day for more members) and get all the loot for no or minimal charge. Sure, you won't show up and same day get the chest piece from Anguish but if you are good with 2nd Best in Slot you will get most things for free or minimum. Like we have the Tunat Robe going for 1 dkp every time or rolling and that robe is amazing.

Anywho, just another perspective on why Selo's is sweet. Constantly new content. Zero pressure to keep up. When you decide you want to play, gear rains from the heavens. It's a pretty amazing server :)
  10. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Selo's dropping players like flies.

Sits at medium population and even dips into low pop consistently on a daily basis.
    Safe to say losing more people than gaining. :rolleyes:
  11. Radical New Member

Your guild doesn't shrink on raids, so it just looks like you have a lot of people. o_O
  12. Tierdal Augur

Selos is doing great. Lots of guilds clearing content, having fun.

Its for exploring EQ expansions notsitting in lguk for 3 months.
    andross77 likes this.
  13. Lisfin Journeyman

This is what people "think". However in practice it could not be farther from the truth.

1. It's not that hard to keep up at all. With the double xp bonus and faction, if you play a few times a week its very easy to stay up to date.People seem to think they need 3 months of time to get best in slot for every slot or they are not "progressing".

I have been raiding 3 nights a week and by the time the one month is over its boring doing the same content for the 8+ time. There is a few items I could get that are best in slot, but most the gear I have already is current expansion, I could not imagine having to wait another 2 months in the same content. You do not need best in slot for every slot to progress...

With the double XP on the server, and the double XP bonus from the holiday, its not hard to get 100-200 AA in a day or 2, how is it hard to keep up? I made 57AA in a 30 min LOD.Currently in OOW, 800ish AA gets you almost all the important AAs. XP is not hard to get at all...

2.You do not need to raid 5-6 times a week, this is a complete myth. What are you even raiding that much? I have been raiding 3 nights a week and have been getting plenty of gear. Yes I am not all best in slots, but do you really need that?

After raiding the same content with double lockouts for a whole month(8+ times), I can't wait for the new expansion to come out, stuff gets old doing it week after week. I could not imagine raiding it 16+ more times before the new expansion unlocks...

TLDR: Selos is not as fast as people seem to think. It takes a couple days to get max level, and it takes a couple more days to max AAs. Raiding just 2-3 times a week with double lockouts its very easy to get geared for progression.
    code-zero and Dythan like this.
  14. AtabishiRealThe New Member

I agree. I came to selos 1 week after GoD launched, by the end of GoD I was pretty much BIS every item. It's absurdly easy to catch up on selos and you definitely don't have to attend raids every day to stay current in gear. I also found that people on Selos don't care if you are BIS or not on raids. There are people that come to selos and start out raiding basically naked and no one cries about. It's definitely a way more laid back environment on selos vs other TLP's when it comes to gear and AA.
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

Now. Get back to us when you're in SoF. Or VoA.
  16. Tierdal Augur

sure, but until then that realy doesn't matter to this conversation.
  17. MaxTheLion Augur

I'm curious what your opinion will be when expansions with 1k+ new AA per class unlock on the server. Casual players are definitely not capable of keeping up with the cumulative rates and it will be made even more daunting with the incoming nerfs to swarming.

Raiding three nights a week is actually quite a lot of time considering some raid nights can take 4-5 hours depending on how much content your guild intends to have on lockout. Add to that the extra time required to attain the new level cap if applicable, group/raid progression needed in order to attend raids, and the aforementioned AA and you're looking at a hefty amount of time.

TLDR: Fast is subjective. Trevalon stated people have told him they can't keep up so it's not what people "think", it's a fact for them.
  18. DeseanJackson Augur

It won’t be as bad as you think is my guess. Have you tried Selo? You can get 250-500 AA in a day if you wanted to truly no life it. Also, “keeping up” is subjective to your wants and goals. If just seeing content, doing something new, and not necessarily worrying about BIS is what you want, Selo is great. If you’re a completionist who wants BIS, well then it’s probably not gonna work casually.
  19. MaxTheLion Augur

I agree with "keeping up" being subjective to what your goals are but like I mentioned before, what I experience is not what I think, it's fact. I play on a server that has 2-3 month unlocks between expansions and by most measures I have fallen behind compared to others in my guild. I would be a fool to assume playing on Selo with a one month unlock would somehow be better. I perform research 9-10 hours a day and then dedicate time to my family life. I am then left with choosing when I want to apply my limited gaming time and the most logical approach, being in a raiding guild, is to attend raids. Therefore my available time to mindlessly grind out AA's is truncated to essentially zero. I have no qualms with the Selo server and I'm not saying it's too fast as a general statement. It will appeal to individuals who understand and are capable of dedicating the required time. My problem is with other people imposing their concept of what is enough time to "keep up" when the person is directly telling them they don't have enough time to "keep up", regardless of the goals.
  20. Ajjantis Elder

Its actually gonna be good. Content is far too easy right now. We went into tacvi (kinda undergeared) and cleared it on the first run. Then we got into anguish the first time and barely whiped on OMM.

Not having max AA is probably gonna make stuff harder, but hey, no hurry. You can progress together with your guild at your own pace!

www.hab-selo.eu is also still looking for several key classes to join our raiding roster :)