Thinking about starting over on Agnarr - With playing a class as it's not supposed to be played

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Duckforceone, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Duckforceone Lord of the Ducks

So here i am, with the EQ bug again.

And i'm thinking of starting over again on Agnarr, since it stops with pop (+ loose change), to keep it relatively simple and fun and hard.

The challenge is playing a class as it's not really meant to be played. And my choice currently is a Cleric, played as a tank/melee dps class. Perhaps even soloing as much as i can.

But, are there any other classes that could be played in a very non standard way, and still be somewhat viable? Let me know your ideas what you have thought about over the years?

The plan is to record the journey on youtube for me.
    But, would anyone want to join this journey once in awhile?

For me, it's not about the endgame, it's about the journey.
  2. Shakara Augur

Battle Shaman?
    Duckforceone likes this.
  3. Lumiens Augur

My vote is for a petless magician.
    TLP Addict and Duckforceone like this.
  4. Febb Augur

Cleric but don't buy your heal spells.
    Duckforceone likes this.
  5. HoodenShuklak Augur

Druid but never group with slowers or other priests.
    Duckforceone likes this.
  6. Vumad Cape Wearer

Try playing one in a way that it is designed to be played but many don't bother.

Enchanter that charms. Not sure if the PoP nerfs are in place on TLP but charming is working properly on live. Reverse charming worked in the OoW era when the charm nerfs were in place.

Charming is a lot of work and very risky so not a lot of people do it, but it's a lot of fun and an uncommon play style.
  7. TLP Addict Augur

Go role or anon, call yourself a Wizard and see how long it takes for people to notice.
    Vumad, eepok and Duckforceone like this.
  8. Tyche Elder

A pacifist monk. You refuse to fight but can bandage players and hand out baked items.
    Duckforceone, Vumad and eepok like this.
  9. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Beastlord but play it like a mage, no meleeing.
    Duckforceone and eepok like this.
  10. Lemerian Elder

I'm assuming you don't play TLP? Enchanter charming is widespread and pretty much a requirement of the class on them.
    Graethos, Duckforceone and Vumad like this.
  11. code-zero Augur

Paladin as main group healer/puller
    Lubianx and Duckforceone like this.
  12. Fluid Augur

A Rogue that actually is a team player: Doesn't tab out of combat to steal from a MOB, will use Backstab to draw aggro away from Cleric or Wizard, carries extra equipment like potions of Clarity or healing just in case someone needs one, max bandaging, uses AA foraging to feed everyone... I've never seen on in game. hehe
    Duckforceone likes this.
  13. Moranis Augur

I did this on Ragefire... Basically, I played an enchanter like a mage.

I used the enchanter pet, gave it all the possible buffs, stun whips, armor pieces and then I used all of the enchanter's arsenal of debuffs and damage spells - slow / cripple / weakness / asphyxiate / torment. I also supplemented the pets inability to talk by using berserker spirit and even stunning from time to time.

It was slow killing, but surprisingly, with all of the enchanter's arsenal of buffs and debuffs, I could take down L52 or so mobs without a ton of difficulty.
    Duckforceone likes this.
  14. Vumad Cape Wearer

I haven't played on an actual TLP. I've played SK a little on Agnarr but still very low in level. I main ENC on Live.
    Duckforceone likes this.
  15. TLP Addict Augur

Actually met a Beastlord kind of like this back in the day, he dressed like a druid including shield and wis/mana mainhand and did nothing but pet cleric.
    Duckforceone likes this.
  16. Kloodge Elder

This is not at all what you asked for, but...

I've always wanted to play a Ranger that lives off the land. No external buffs, can only use items he loots or crafts himself (no /baz or trading), no merchant items other than for crafting or spells, etc.

Then I remember I hate crafting and make some other toon.
    Vumad and Duckforceone like this.
  17. discordkitty Augur

If you stick with undead as much as possible your cleric idea is definitely feasible. I remember loving to solo my cleric with undead in the grey when Luclin was the new expansion for the first time. You gave me great advice and help on Coirnav and I wish you well!
    Duckforceone likes this.
  18. Boze TLP complaint factory

This works better than you'd think since beast melee is garbage in that era.

Honestly the cleric-tank works really well, probably too well for your goal OP. Cleric with the time hammer makes an awesome tank in era.

My votes are for
    -Ranger that uses throwing instead of bows.
    -Necro that plays as an SK tanking everything
    -"fallen" paladin a la DnD, so no access to spells.
    -anon rogue, claim to be warrior, no daggers mainhand.
    code-zero and Duckforceone like this.
  19. Duckforceone Lord of the Ducks

Some good ones mentioned.

I also forgot one of my favourites.
    Gnome Monk. A warrior that only uses H2H weapons... i called him Chunk Norris.
    discordkitty and Boze like this.
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

I thought your first post was tongue-in-cheek/sarcasm. Charming is so easy on TLPs up until Omens that it's a constant source of forum fodder. If you play an enchanter on early TLPs and don't charm you will be kicked from the group most likely.
    Vumad likes this.