Paladin Wishes

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Allayna, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Wulfhere Augur

They would feel better because they would no longer have the "assist target" mechanic. This would make playing a paladin feel even more like playing an SK, who generally gets to remain on target while casting most of their abilities. I'm not advocating that style change so much myself. Paladins have a higher burden of situational awareness then SK or warrior because they have to target other players often times. I think paladin mains like that game play aspect (I do) even though we have been trending away from it the past many years.

The reason Light is not used is almost entirely because of the Timer 9 conflict with Protective, so it fits your argument that Protective already addresses.

Burst also superseded Light because of cast time and heal amount (we don't care about mana efficiency on an emergency heal). The two spells were designed as emergency heals (not spells that were in a weave, in fact they couldn't be) and have since taken on the aspect of basic combat spells as embodied by Protective. It's been an evolution. Burst recast and lockout times prohibit its use less so then originally as they are less severe now.

The Devs can continue with spells like Protective, Denouncement, Refute, and Valiant. The Devs can improve their efficiency and focus which is really a different argument vs targeting mechanics.
  2. blinder Journeyman

I much rather prefer having heals hit target-of-target. By a long shot.
  3. Wulfhere Augur

I forgot to include Rejuvenating Steel line to the list of ToT heals. It doesn't earn a spell gem by me.

In it's current form Steel would be much much better as an activated AA (because of the 2 minute refresh) or even better, make it a passive AA that is a ToT version of Blessing of Life (call it Blessing of Steel). Both would be enabled and having the two procs would re-balance passive healing for paladins nicely.
    blinder and Brohg like this.
  4. blinder Journeyman

I only mem Rejuvenating Steel if I'm "DPS'ing". I think it's 10 procs and it fades... which is not nearly enough to make it worthwhile for anything other than extreme niche roles.
  5. Wulfhere Augur

Heh, inquisitive paladins want to know why this non-damaging spell that you can cast once every 2 minutes is in your "DPS'ing" spell set. Or any spell set?
  6. Brohg Augur

because it makes healing without taking up cast time while DPSing. Limited, somewhat inconsistent healing, but healing without having to get off the Remb/Doctrine train.
    blinder likes this.
  7. Sithsonn Elder

I could see pallies rocking an AE heals target target spell next expac that would be pretty cool, that also is an ae aggro device
    Allayna likes this.
  8. blinder Journeyman

Exactly what Brogh said. When DPS'ing I'm only casting Alliance, Censure, Admonish, Crush and maybe Brilliant if I have to splash. The other stuff is situational heals like Dissident or Expiation.
  9. Brohg Augur

I really like this
  10. shiftie Augur

When under the effects of VR casting admonish/censure et al is a dps loss due to 1 sec cast conflicting with HHE
    Wulfhere likes this.
  11. blinder Journeyman

So, you're only supposed to DPS when under Valorous Rage? Or do I need to make bullet points on when I cast things, use AA's and discs? It's kind of silly at this point.
  12. shiftie Augur

Lol ok guy.

That’s a poor dps rotation in and out of vr but do you boo

Keep jamming out on steely it’s really an awesome spell
  13. Brohg Augur

Funny, that's what sticks out in my memory about the old third party Paladin class forums, too: the internecine sniping.

That sounds great, I'd like to read that, to learn.
    What's that, a different perspective on the tools available? Wannabes like myself should definitely get to read about both and maybe see the results.

Like, without the useless barbs thrown back and forth.
  14. Wulfhere Augur

There are much better options even for that scenario depending on who needs those ... 10 heals in 30 seconds once every 2 minutes.

If tanking, an Expiation (Grief) line spell replaces it easily.
    In general, Censure is much more potent for dps and heal, and 0.8s cast time focused.

Steely is a poor choice in any scenario where one might consider it. Remember we discussed it last year here - Paladin future needs
    shiftie likes this.
  15. shiftie Augur

I’m 100% certain I don’t need you trolling me on the eq forums you got that out of your system a decade ago. It is a mana drain to dps with those spellls, doesn’t play nice with interrupts, dragon magic or mana flare procs. Has a lower return on healing due to the resist mod and is not an optimal weave. The tott nukes can be used to supplement the optimal weave filling in the last gem before refresh. Steely is trash and has been since inception.

I didn’t snipe, I pointed out that “dpsing implies the use of vr at some point and having that spell set loaded is a net dps loss under vr without getting into the finer points outside of vr. Our spell gems are at a premium loading up with suboptimal sets is of course a choice open to one and all. But making a case for it standard play is misleading.

It’s not my fault he got defensive.
  16. blinder Journeyman

I guess it flew way way, WAY over your head. I do not cast when VR is used except for Disruptive Persecution and possibly Brilliant+splash depending on event. I do have those spells memmed because you *also* DPS outside of VR use.

The reason I have Revitalizing Steel loaded is because I have a free spell gem (Refute or a Wave) for when I'm not assigned to anything or I choose to DPS.
  17. shiftie Augur

Nothing you are saying makes any sense. You aren’t saying things that go over my head. Your ability to articulate a point must be severely lacking, because it all sounds like jibberish nonsense. Steely lmao.

“Do not cast when vr is used” says the guy talking about dpsing. I too like to not dps while I say I am in dps mode.
  18. blinder Journeyman

Enlighten me, please. It's quite obvious I don't know how to play Paladin.
  19. shiftie Augur

What is your dps spell set?

Why do you not cast when Vr is running?

Your ability to play a paladin isn’t in question. Your assertions in this thread are. There are parses and discussions over approximately 10 years or more that back up what I am saying.

You don’t know me I get it. And your guild finished the expansion while I scrounge to kill group mobs. My cloth cap is better than yours, the next time you hit vr or ij or a plethora of other abilities name the hot key shiftie.
  20. Seldom Augur

Agree on this point, especially if our hate mod is going to continue being attached to this line. Would like to see it changed so it no longer conflicts with Druid Reptile as well.

I’m “somewhat” with you on this. I’d definitely love to see the Lay On Hands style targeting be utilized on others things. I’m not sure if Burst/Light is place I’d want to see this though.

100% agreed.

100% agreed :). I use this spell line far more than most and it’s predominantly when I’m playing multiple characters/not able to focus much on Pal. It needs to be beefed up quite a bit to be relevant in a general sense,