Model updates? Would be pretty awesome

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tierdal, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Tierdal Augur

Is there a reason we havn't gotten a model update in more than a decade?

Old models are still great, but they don't get any armor graphic changes.

Luclin models are literally the most ugly half arsed things ever created. Like literally , they look like if a child made them with play dough. Half of them run like they have a stick up their bum. I am not exaggerating...I literally cant play the game with them on.

What is stopping the design team from creating updated Luclin models, fixing their animation and allowing armor looks to work on them? Preferably something in the style of old school models.

EQ2 did this with its Asian inspired anime models that can all wear the same armor textures.

Would it really be that hard to do this?
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

Yes.
  3. Xanathol Augur

Have you seen the current Freeport? Just think what new models would look like if done by the same folks...

FTR, Luclin models for PCs > org models. Yup, I said it.
    Fading Illusion likes this.
  4. Numiko Augur

After John Smedley announced "new player models by the end of the year!" way back at the first guild council meeting in 2002-2003 and nothing happened a dev revealed that when they priced it out they found it would cost them several million dollars because so much of the game would have to be revamped, and it would lead to very little economic benefit.... so the whole thing was scrapped.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

It's very expensive.

This is because they are old and their poly counts are low.

Have fun with the original models! You can still change the armor color.

The resources required to do this outweigh the ROI (Return On Investment). It's a financial loser for DBG. This has been stated over and over and over and over and......you get the picture. Lol.

EQ2 is a modular code game engine and is MUCH more friendly to substantial code changes. EQ1 is not modular. In fact, I believe the entire engine was written in C+.

"Hard" is a relative term. In terms of resources, yes. It would require many hours of coding.

This is not to say its impossible or perhaps some version of a character model improvement could not be realized. In game code as old as EQ's, there are undoubtedly opportunities for improvement. Did you know the Hero's Forge armor was a "SIDE PROJECT" for one of the dev coders? The Dev was told implementing this armor was impossible. He believed it was not impossible. So he did it. I am not 100% he was even green-lit to do it before he started. Lol.

Anyway, possible? Sure. Feasible....well - probably not.
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

I wasn't thinking coding. I was thinking model and texture development.
  7. taliefer Augur

i have a vague memory of them actually starting a character model revamp that started with humans. and people revolted and did not want. i dont recall them being actually bad, but people didnt want it.

same vague memory tells me these were used as the base for the Drakkin race. which i actually think the Drakkin race LOOK great. but their animations, specifically combat animations, are just god awful atrocious. worse than the "stick in the butt" animations of luclin models.
  8. code-zero Augur

I think that the reason for the revolt was that people with human characters actually like the Barbie & Ken models as they are....
  9. Kelandi Elder

Roll on Mangler, we get Velious armor textures and custom helms next week.
  10. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

This game is basically on life support... DBG is... well... DBG.
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I get your meaning, but I disagree. Games on life support typically don't get expansion announcements and updates like clockwork - which, in EverQuest's case - has been happening for a couple of decades.
    Nolrog, Fading Illusion and code-zero like this.
  12. Strawberry Augur

You answered your own question. EQ players are their own worst enemy.

Everyone with a pinch of objectivity would admit that luclin models are a very good upgrade compared to classic models. In fact, whoever did those Luclin models was a very good modeler.

But many EQ players are unable to appreciate any change developers make to the game. Even if they changed the models and made them better, you would still whine that classic models are better and that the new models ''are the worst thing ever created''.

Many EQ players are unable to objectively look at the game anymore. They think classic is the best thing since sliced bread and anything new is horrible. They look at EQ through rose tinted glasses while drinking nostalgia potions.

[IMG]
  13. SomeRandomGuy Journeyman

I agree that many classes, standing still, look better with the new models. One huge problem, though, is that almost all of them animate very poorly and that's a big part of what makes characters enjoyable. Classic animations are not amazing but they're generally a lot smoother.
  14. Brumans Augur

Yeah, it's been said many times before - the real problem with Luclin models are the animations.
  15. Dekrepid New Member

I enjoyed most of the luclin models, but the Troll/Ogre went far left for me. The whole big and gross thing should have been still prevalent in the new models.
  16. taliefer Augur

the luclin ogre model is so, so so sosososososososo much better than the original kool-aid man ogres. its not even remotely close to me. luclin ogres actually look like theyd be terrifying.

but like others have mentioned and ive said myself, the animations on luclin modes are terrible. i still prefer them over old models in most cases tho. if they could only merge the smoother animations of old models with the looks of luclin modes, thatd be the bees knees
  17. Timoga New Member

They actually made new human models around the time the Buried Sea launched. They showed up on Test and never made it to live because the outcry was huge that they looked bad. They sorta looked like the drakkin and they wouldnt have the option to revert them to either classic/luclin model. They were used still as some npcs.
  18. Strawberry Augur

19. Strawberry Augur

20. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Most of the New modles were better, but for various reasons I stuck with some of the velious ones, Ogre butt scratching, Trolls not looking like someone had starved them half to death. Raven scale armor on Barb males and polar bear helms. I think it is only those I still use old modles for.

They did try and update them, from what I remember TBS humans were going to be the new human modle but after comments that when they walked it looked like they had a broom stuck up their behinds it got dropped. If I remember correctly these were based off the TSS expansion Drakinn model which still runs funny!

We all have different ideas of how we would like new Models to look, personally I find EQ2 modles too cartoony the same with the models they planned to use for EQ3.