LDoN chests/coffins/boxes/whatever

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by ragesaint, Aug 2, 2019.

1. ragesaint New Member

Broken. They're either easily opened with crap loot or they are impossible to open and poof during the attempt. It should get a bonus for your Divination skill or something. It's dumb as it is.

On a TLP, this is especially maddening.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

They have always been that way. Only back then it wasn't crap loot. They can poof or have a poison aoe spell put on the whole group or some other damage, a nice aug, maybe a spell or nothing.

Just like the mobs that are laying down and non aggressive. If you hail them you either get a friendly mob that will help your group for a while in battle or you will get an angry mob that will attack you.

Most people just leave the chests/boxes/crates alone now a days.
    Duder likes this.
  3. Prathun Developer

Many chests are locked and/or trapped.
    How are you trying to open them?
  4. Dahaman Augur

I run a shaman and a mage. I bought the 3 spells (detect, disarm, unlock) on each.

I cast the detect spell by the shaman and then the mage and skip it if it is mechanical. I cast the disarm spell by the same character that detected the trap (using a material component each cast). After 20 casts, I gave up. Most of the time, the container goes off or doesn't open. Perhaps a third of the time I detect a divine or magic trap, I am successful opening the chest.

Most of the time, the loot is not worth the time spent, the material cost to cast the disarm spells, nor the chance for the mass dispel of key buffs trap. The only "good" rewards include bonus points for one character, but I lose out on more points (and XP) by wasting the time on chests instead of running another dungeon. I've never gotten anything else good out of the chests.

The "cost vs. reward" was so skewed that I now skip all chests. Sad, but true. The concept is great, but the implementation is not.
  5. Qbert Gallifreyan

I just attack/"kill" them all.
  6. Aziuno Augur

It has been a bit since we were in LDON on Phinny...

Basically you inspect it to determine what type of class specific disarm you need, or if you can just brute force it.

This site does a pretty good job explaining it.

https://thedruidsgrove.org/archive/eq/t-1071.html
  7. Baldur Augur

You're missing a bard/rogue for the 3rd, most common, chest type.

The link Aziuno provided does a good job explaining it. You only need to do one cast per type to determine if it's yours or not.
  8. Nolrog Augur

Famous last words when playing thru LDON. Oh look, a chest. I would immediately stop what I was doing and try to run to the exit.
    Elyssanda and Prathun like this.
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Oh man! I remember that. No matter how fast you ran it still got you. There was always that new guy in the group who had to open them lol
  10. Cloudia Augur

that reminds me, got to go do some LDoNs and try out my A4 doohickey. It wont work on regular doors/chests so might as well.
  11. Lianeb Augur

It works on chests, not doors. You have to be able to target the item to use it on, and have the Scrying Stones in your inventory.