A /clear Request

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Imukai, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Imukai Augur

Given that chat windows are numbered in the INI, and given that there is a /clear command to empty out the text from the current chat window.

I would ask that a command parameter be added to /clear to allow clearing any chat window without having to first turn off "Always Chat Here" in the main chat and then clicking into that window's input box to type the command.

Example: /clear 5

This would allow me to make hotkeys to occasionally clear a window that I might be text-blind to when a new update comes in. As one example, I have a window filtered to buff worn off messages that I can go blind to after a while. There are workarounds to this - audio triggers, more coffee, etc - but being able to clear that window more easily would allow a quicker visual response time in seeing the text.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It might be better to suggest clearing it by window name as the player has no way of determining window number right now outside of looking at the ini file.
  3. Ngreth Thergn Developer

I agree with Waring that by number is a poor user experience (UX). The only small issue, with this reasonable request, is that going by name brings up the fact that we do not enforce unique names on tabs.

I'll bring it to the team. This is only a promise that I'll bring it up. There are layers of how difficult is the change, is the UX issue too much, does it fit in the schedule, etc. that need addressing for if it will happen.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

While you are at it could you modify the chat windows so that the text in the typing pane can be modified by /chatfontsize. You cannot change the font size in the typing portion of the window which is very problematic on 4k monitor displays.

Atm each time I log in I use a hot button click on each window and apply /chatfontsize 8 to the window for the reading portion of each chat window. For some reason it only remembers the /chatfontsize from one session to the next in the main chat window.
  5. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I did post this in the raid chat thread, but I think it's better suited here.
    I have 10 autojoin chat channels. if I leave #5 (general) for whatever reason, then for the rest of the night, 5-9 are now messed up and I will spend the rest of the night doing mistells. (just ask poor serverwide.eqresource, they get the brunt of those mistells). I wish there was a way to Mute a channel without dropping it so the rest of them don't get messed up
  6. Nilwean Elder

Maybe add clear window to the list for when you right click a chat window, with options for current tab or all tabs.
    Syylke_EMarr, Sokki and Nniki like this.
  7. Allayna Augur

In addition to muting a channel....how about queuing channels and fellowship chat, current system you miss a message while zoning.
  8. Nniki Augur

Obviously it'd be nice if they didn't reorder, but I'd recommend putting General at #10 and any others you're more likely to drop towards the end, that way you're not affected as much when it comes to dropping them. I personally keep friend, serverwide, guild, and class-related channels towards beginning of my list so I never have to worry about them changing.

It's okay. It sounded like an excellent roast beef sandwich. I'm sure the massage was wonderful too.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  9. Nolrog Augur

I would also like the ability to clear the "R"eply. If I've been playing a while, I may exchanged /tells with a dozen or more people that I'm not currently talking to (or they are off-line) and I'd love to have some version of /clear to clear out that list as well. /clear reply or some such, so that I can manage with just the few people I'm chatting with right now.
  10. Raccoo Augur

Would sending a tell to yourself work? [t Nolrog
    So you don't accidentally send the wrong person a tell. If I understand what you're asking.
  11. Mazame Augur

Port to PoK /camp click yes to fast camp.
    click log in

All chat boxes are now cleared and all /reply are cleared.

As for the OP. I think the simple fix would be to add a button at the top of the chat window with an X. Click the X and it clears the chat from the window. no need to make added hot key.
  12. Mazame Augur

Change your auto join to be only the channels that you do not leave.
    Then when you log in it will auto join those in the same order each time and don't have to worry about it getting messed up.

As for the channel you join and drop make a key to join them and hit it after logging in so they are always at the end and then you can drop them with out effect.
  13. Madeni Elder

Maybe You only want to clear specific chat boxes, but I will mention that there is a command that will clear all chat /clearallchat
  14. Madeni Elder

15. Nolrog Augur

No. Say if I talked to 25 people during my session, but many of them logged out and I'm just chatting with you now. if I click R, I sometimes have to scroll thru all those other names to get to yours. So I'd like to /clear reply (or something like that) and then R would bring up nothing.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  16. Nolrog Augur

Camping to character select does not clear them. You have to log all the way out of the game.
    Moege and Elyssanda like this.
  17. Xorsazis Augur

IIRC after 6 or 7, it doesn't save your preference. I used /chatfontsize 6 and it would save that way. It was totally readable.
  18. Bahdah Augur

The people that get their channels reordered.. Are you connected to general channels in /options? Just curious.
  19. Rolaque Ancient

I would like to be able to resize the height of the chat tabs at the top of each chat window, so I can make them effectively disappear. I can easily change the width and height of each window, so why not the tabs?
  20. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Brainstorming:
    • Ability to set the max chat history stored by each window (possibly eliminating the need for /clear altogether?).
    • I always have 7-8 chat windows open, so I'm genuinely curious.

Are chat windows really a source of lag/performance problems? I've never really correlated the chat windows with lag and I always have 8 chat windows + 3 more chat tabs open on multiple clients, so I'm genuinely curious.

I usually have at least one window for spammy trash, sometimes minimized so I never even look at it. When I want to mute a channel, instead of leaving it, I move it to that window using the Filters>>Chat Channel options.