What is the best overall class throughout EQ?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by OliverQ, Jul 26, 2019.

1. OliverQ Elder

What would you say is the overall most complete, well done class in all of EQ?

The class that doesn't have lots of eras of being broken and poorly developed. The class you can generally always count on regardless of what expansion you play in?

I'm thinking either Cleric or Monk.
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

The Neckbeard. This class has a high playtime making getting xp easy, has played on most other TLP, so knows how to gear. They don't have family commitments, other then checking to see if Mom has dinner ready yet upstairs, allowing for the mandatory poopsocks.
    Thalliius, Ulrin, Kobra and 6 others like this.
  3. yerm Augur

Monk is generally always a good class and never too far from the top on physical dps while having interesting stuff on the side, so I would agree there. I'd add bard is always strong, stacks well in raids, provides good benefits in groups, etc. Probably the coolest eq class that no other game seems to pull off the same. Shaman are another good candidate for being decent in every area and in all game aspects (solo group raid) with a large toolkit, and potentially beastlord can fit in.

I disagree on cleric, even though I'm playing and loving mine. It's only viewed as such because nobody ever has enough healers and they're the best, but should you ever find yourself with too many they go awesome to garbage pretty quick. What's worse, there are some ugly reasons for the frequent lack of or loss of clerics, such as poor solo play and group reliance, frequent replacement outside raids by people's private boxes, and being a low praise high blame position. I would group the class with warrior, wizard, and berserker: generally best at one thing always or almost always, but sometimes issues or concerns trying to branch out, be versatile, etc.
  4. AcemoneyFV Augur

5. Aegir Augur

Yeah I put my money on SK too. It requires gearing + you, being at least - a decent player, for it to work out.

But if you are a good SK playing along good players, you can wreck stuff up like nobody else can.
    Kurage_of_Luclin and Foaming like this.
  6. code-zero Augur

Overall Warrior is pretty good, not quite as desirable as an SK in the group game but highly desirable in the raid game.
  7. Barder-mangler Augur

Upvote for SKs, not my preferred class but they are/can be really elite or at least good in most situations through the end game.
    But really, play what you enjoy! I play a chanter, I know I am OP early on and weaker overtime, but I love the versatility of the class.
  8. Ootax Augur

9. HoodenShuklak Augur

Depends what you mean by complete...
    eepok likes this.
  10. Piznut Angry Gnome

This thread has served to verify that every class is "complete" in their own way.
    Evatini and eepok like this.
  11. Grailer Augur

12. MaxTheLion Augur

Everybody is entitled to an opinion but that does not mean they are correct.
    Kalipto likes this.
  13. Darchon_Xegony Augur

SK is hands down the best class across all eras.
  14. Fluid Augur

I still think Magicians rock in spite of all the hits they have taken. They need to be grouped with a character that has some form of crowd control i.e. Harmony, Lull, Mez, et cetera to be able to work in a wide variety of situations. I've just had so many times where the magpet has saved my bacon by tanking when the main tank went down or fighting to the death while my character bailed out that I hate doing anything w/o one. Best farming character in game for collecting materials for trades skills, seldom oom if they are run right, supply consumables like armor for other pet classes and food or water when there is a failure of preparation. Magician + pet + Merc is a really strong team for Molo. Not nearly the meta game of other character types but there are a few cute strategies. For instance, breaking camps you send the pet in and immediately heal it. The whole camp minus the one the pet is on attacks you so you beat feet to the guards while the pet takes out the MOB it is focused on. They also have one of the best harm shields in the game. With proper AAs and spell choices they can spread their buffs among party members and their pets.
  15. Xanathol Augur

Define 'best'. Group vs raid is so different (ex. clerics on raid vs most using cleric mercs in group). If raiding, cleric, warrior, monk, bard, paladin. If grouping / all around, monk, paladin, mage, necro.
  16. jeskola pheerie

The Forum Warrior. This class spends a lot of time posting multi-paragraph diatribes about the game, but is rarely seen actually playing the game.
  17. Dresden Journeyman

Ah yes the elusive forum warrior who's spends more time whining about the time it takes to do quests then actually spend the time doing them

Best class hands down is wizard nuking, traveling, quading, easy epic can't ask for more
  18. yerm Augur

I go away for one weekend and suddenly my class is attacked and I apparently don't play the game, feelsbad.
    jeskola likes this.
  19. Nolrog Augur

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You are going to get many different answers to this question because everyone likes something different.
  20. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Notice. Nobody is saying rogue...
    Machen likes this.