Norrath's Pauper Dragons

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Brontus, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Machentoo Augur

Clearly not, or Nagafen would indeed be sitting on vast piles of gold.
    Brontus and Password1234 like this.
  2. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Interesting you say that, because 15 minutes ago on Mangler our guild killed Trakanon. He dropped a Singing Steel BP, bard epic item, and lots of teeth. Here's the coin he dropped:

9 platinum, 9 silver and 2 copper

Seems that Kunark dragons are equally as poverty stricken as their Antonican dragon cousins. I can't wait to hear the excuses the White "we love our EQ dragons destitute" Knights will come up to justify this.
  3. Gana Augur

So, Naggy dropped 7. Sev dropped 8 (and 9 gold) and Trak dropped 9? OMG! Your protest is working! Each dragon is progressively dropping more plat! Keep it up!!!
  4. Zanarnar Augur

You are aware this is a multi-player video game and not a book right?

Your aware these creatures die often, at least daily, likely more thanks to instances.

This isn't a book telling a story, or a movie. Its a video game, where you get to repeat killing things over and over and over. You get to die and come back to life too. Its not going to follow the same sensibilities that a book or movie would. A group of heroes doesn't go slay the great dragon once and then its dead for evermore.

You balance MMORPG loot around how you want the player economy to evolve and grow. Not on trying to make things match up to some unrelated book.

ps: snakes can kick! where are you on that one? my pet tiger (as a bst) can talk; hell I've seen mage pets without mouths speak.. necro pets without vocal cords too. Better get busy!
  5. That0neguy Augur

I don't know. Naggy drops 7pp. Trak drops 9pp. Thats about 29% more plat. That's quite an increase. Think if you got a 29% raise, you would be very happy with that.
  6. Password1234 Augur

Man, this joke gets funnier and funnier every time you post it.
  7. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

The secret reason for this complaint revealed?
  8. Accipiter Old Timer

This thread keeps on giving... something.
  9. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Yes I am aware. No need to be sarcastic. Dragons are commonly used as fantasy villains. I've read many intervews with the original creators of EverQuest who cited Dungeons & Dragons and Tolkien as influences. The point of bringing this up is that they used the archetype of fantasy dragons. Fantasy dragons are not destitude, nor are they poor vagrants. They are powerful creatures with vast amounts of wealth.

Execpt for Kerafyrm AKA The Sleeper, every creature respawns in EverQuest. What's your point?

The issue of re-spawning has nothing to do with the issue I presented. I never talked about re-spawning nor did I criticize this mechanic. Stop mis-presenting what I said in order to falsely discredit me.

Adding 100 platinum pieces to the loot table of an all powerful iconic dragon who is one of a handful of rules in a fantasy virtual world would not imbalance the player economy in any way, shape or form. When a dragon bosses drops 7-9 pieces of platinum it looks ridiculous and is a mockery of the power and stature that those powerful beings should have.

Loot on mobs should be consistent with their level of power and the difficulty it takes to vanquish them. This has been a constant design philosophy since the days of pen and paper D&D campaigns to the very latest RPGs and MMORPGs. Loot also should have a lore component i.e. dragons should drop dragon scales, gold, etc.

This issue is not about fantasy versus realism i.e. snakes who can kick. This issue is about appropriate loot tables for dragons given their long history of being hoarders of treasure since the legend of Beowulf, the myth of St. George slaying the dragon, to Tolkien's Middle-earth, to Dungeons & Dragons and beyond to MMORPGs like EverQuest and World of Warcraft where dragons exist to this very day virtually.

Clearly, that lack of coin on dragons is an obvious oversight on the part of the SOE devs at the time. I realize the devs are extremely busy. I hope someday they will have the time to rectify the situation.
  10. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Thanks for the bump. Stick around, keep reading. You might actually learn something about fantasy lore and the principles of fantasy virtual world design.
  11. Niban420 New Member

Best thread yet!
  12. Blastoff Augur

Have we really devolved to the point of attacking this OP? His post was lighthearted and fun. It's so sad watching 40+ year old men playing a 20 year old mmorpg refuse to admit they are nerds too. Dragons should have more plat. Get over yourselves.
    Brontus likes this.
  13. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Nagafen (and Vox) were imprisoned by the other dragons for attempting to break the ban and spawn another prismatic dragon like Kerafyrm.
  14. Wanuven Lorekeeper

From the Maps of Myrist lore book that was published during...PoP ( I think):

As Chronicled within the annals of the devout followers of Erollisi Marr known as The Maidens of the Rose, Nagafen, true to his dragon nature exacted a toll in maidens from the people of Qeynos, forcing them to transport one maiden a year across the continent and leave her in his cavern dwelling. This went on for many years, until a pious and beautiful maiden named Erollette - a novice in the temple of Erollisi Marr, the Goddess of Love - was selected. When Erollette sank to the ground before Nagafen, she uttered a final prayer to her goddess, asking only that her sacrifice be the last the maidens of Qeynos must endure.
    Her bravery and selflessness touched the goddess, who took pity on her. As Nagafen prepared to dine, Erollisi used a golden thread to sew Nagafen's heart to his stomach, twisting his pangs of hunger into pangs of love for Erollette. Under the enchantment, he could not bear to eat her, or anything else - he was lovelorn after all. So he grew hungrier, but the more he starved the more his heart swelled in his chest and the bigger his body became, until he was so huge he could not leave the confines of his cave. He begged her to stay with him, but seeing the dragon was helpless, Erollette rejoiced and returned home to report the good news and dedicate her life to worship."
  15. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Not everything in Maps of Myrist (I have it too) is accurate. That sounds like beta lore which mostly isn't considered accurate either.
  16. Silver-Crow Augur

you realise of course if Naggy dropped thousands of plat every time he went down, there would be 24 necros sitting there waiting for him :rolleyes:
  17. Zanarnar Augur

Unrelated fantasy lore has what to do with EQ again? Show me in EQ lore where dragons are described as sitting on piles of gold treasure and maybe I'll concede you have a point, and aren't just trolling the forums.

and it is. In EQ *ITEMS* are the treasure. Cash is... useful to a point but not the shiny thing people want from EQ dragons. To that end, dragons have powerful and useful items as loot. Perfect.

Again, you keep bringing up unrelated lore. Show me in EQ lore where dragons are described as hording gold. The sources you quoted have as much to do with EQ as the lore in Dragon Ball Z does. The entire Dragon Ball series has dragons as powerful wish granting beings. Why not argue they should grant wishes instead of be things we kill? Im sure If I wanted to, I could dig up lots of other examples of dragons in fantasy lore that don't line up to rich treasure hording types. Your cherry picking unrelated lore to try to support altering EQ's.

Again; design decisions to fit a MMO game world, economy, and lore; and have nothing to do with the unrelated lore from other sources. If you want to make a valid point, show us the EQ lore supporting this. If you can, I'll be happy to admit you were right.
  18. Gana Augur

Dragonheart, Reign of Fire, Eragon...all dragon based movies, no loot on dragons. And *again*, Smaug's gold belonged to the Dwarves. He brought no gold to the room...and added none while he was there for 80 years.
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

Oh, I learned something alright.
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

That's where you're wrong. He's dead serious.