Norrath's Pauper Dragons

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Brontus, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Fire breathing dragons have been a part of mythology and fantasy literature for thousands of years. Dragon's are notoriously greedy and love to hoard gold -- lots of gold! J.R.R. Tolkien's Smaug is the archetypal dragon that slept on voluminous piles of gold, jewels and other treasure.

Sadly the same cannot be said of Norrath's dragons.

Recently our guild on Mangler killed Lord Nagafen. Sure, he dropped the usual dragon items. Great!

Want to know how much platinum he dropped?

A massive 7 platinum total.

That's right good people of Norrath, you heard me: 7 platinum. No it wasn't on auto-split. This was amount was what our official guild master looter received. Everyone on the raid clearly saw the amount.

Even the average Hill Giant who has a life expectancy of 10 seconds in Rathe Mountains drops more platinum than Lord Nagafen.

To all that might be reading this, do you think that this is acceptable that a lord no less a dragon drops such a pittance of platinum?

Dear esteemed Devs, do the right thing and put some serious platinum on our beloved Norrath dragons. Thank you in advance for your consideration on this matter.

Keep up the good work!
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

<crickets chirp>
  3. Gana Augur

Smaug was left alone for 80 years...and the gold belonged to the dwarves before he got there. Maybe you should be raiding Kaladim...
  4. Trox2010 Augur

To be fair Nagafen has been getting raid for 20 years now; can't expect his vast hoard to remain limitless forever....
    Yinla likes this.
  5. Brontus EQ Player Activist

By that logic, the Myconid King should stop dropping fungi tunics and Hill Giants should stop dropping plat because they've been endlessly defeated for 20 years.

Why should a new player to EQ be penalized when vanquishing Lord Nagafen for the first time just because players have been killing him for 20 years?

Having a signature EQ dragon like Lord Nagafen drop 7 platinum is a joke and a disgrace.There is no legitimate argument or mental gymnastics that can justify it.
  6. taliefer Augur

the level of boredom that must have been achieved before making this post has to be some sort of record
    Beimeith and Protagonist like this.
  7. Protagonist Tank

Just....

*sigh*

Just get some sleep, man. Take a shower. Go talk to people offline.

This isn't a healthy path.
  8. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Wrong. I care about EverQuest. That's why I posted. I submit bugs all the time and to DBGs credit they are often fixed.

Unlike you, my efforts in submitting bugs and raising awareness of certain issues make EQ a better experience for all. What do your snarky posts accomplish? Nothing.
  9. Mr Blue Sky Elder

It's a disgrace I tell you! A total disgrace!

Maybe them sneaky rogues stole the loot?
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

Oh, this was a serious thread? I seriously thought it was just a troll thread.
  11. DeseanJackson Augur

Serious or trolling, you have wasted mine and devs time/attention while they could be fixing PoFire lev.
  12. a_librarian Augur

this kills the gamer
  13. Brontus EQ Player Activist

Update from the Down in Out in Norrath Dragon Dept: Last night we killed Severilous in Emerald Jungle. He dropped a shield, a green scale, and spells. He dropped the following princely sum of coin:

8 platinum 9 gold 2 silver 6 copper

Very impressive! :)
  14. Mr Blue Sky Elder

Strange I robbed him last night, held his pet wolf fluffy for ransom.

I got 26k, that slime lied cheated me out of 8pp...the cheek.
  15. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

He has been robbed by the goblins, though it does make me wonder where you expect a dragon to keep its cash, if you look at Smaug he wasn't carrying his gold around he was rolling in it!

Giants on the other hands have deep pockets to keep their cash in. :)

I do wonder where wolves, bears, lions etc keep their cash....
  16. Spayce Augur

Irony: claiming it's illogical for a dragon to drop 7 platinum based on lore from a completely separate mythical world, while not thinking it's illogical for the same dragon to drop a cloak or shield or spell scrolls.

Where exactly is the dragon keeping the platinum? And the shield? Do you even want to know where he's hiding those items?

If you're going to pick a silly topic to rant on about endlessly, at least stay consistent, mmkay?
  17. Meridian Augur

This was the coolest story ever. Thanks!
  18. Brontus EQ Player Activist

There is nothing silly about this topic other than some of the replies from assorted white knights, trolls and malcontents who love playing forumquest.

The creators of EverQuest were heavily influenced by J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth fantasy world and Dungeons & Dragons which was also influenced by Tolkien's works. EverQuest is a high fantasy genre MMORPG. Both Lord Nagafen and Lady Vox are the rulers of Nagafen's Lair and Permafrost keep. It follows that rulers -- may they be dragon or humanoid -- should have more than a few pieces of platinum in their vaults.

Pointing out the absurdity of all powerful level 60 dragons being poorer than level 35 hill giants is entirely valid and legitimate.

I am not complaining about the believability of dragons dropping swords and shields which is a completely different topic and a weak attempt to misrepresent what I said.
  19. That0neguy Augur

I find it more surprising your guild just killed Naggy. Isn't mangler in Kunark now? If you kill the dragons in era they drop a lot more plat.
  20. Wanuven Lorekeeper

Let’s talk lore. Nagafen is a prisoner in his zone. Prisoners generally aren’t rich. Basically he used to eat maidens until erollisi sewed his heart to his stomach. The hungrier he became the more his love for her grew. He got so big that he became stuck in his lair. Anyway, prisoners are seldom wealthy
    Yinla likes this.