Wishes for the next expansion?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lilura, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Allayna Augur

If you think a top 5 guild isn't gonna blow through the progression in a few hours, you may not have an understanding of progression raiding.

I was referring to the casual gamers you claim to champion for....they will have something to do for months whether ROI, MS, Triton (need an abbreviation for Triton), VH, SR, RA, RoTE, RoV etc blow through it in a matter of hours or not.

As for our earlier back and forth. I'm not sure if you misunderstood me or I you. I was referring to group (6-12 man missions) should NOT be simple tank n spank. Missions should always have some objective, some fun mechanics etc. The static zones can be something like what I just posted. Not too difficult in the beginning zones but should definitely scale as you venture further into the tiers.

Or because they attempted to join a raid guild and couldn't keep up. The raid game has changed and doesn't favor slow reactions, chronic afk, or a lack of understanding of the class or other classes abilities....something I encounter in the casual player base. MS has run open raids for years and I'll say there are several of the "casuals" that enjoy raiding, enjoy the chance at a nice piece of loot or the victory of beating a current expansion raid. So I think your assessment is either purposefully skewed or just simply an inaccurate representation of EQ at large.

I'm not saying make T1 a nutcracker zone, quite the opposite. I think RoS had it backwards in some regards. Skyfire and OT were not casual friendly, while HS and ST were much easier to handle.
    VP was and still is nice imo as it has a significant keying/locked system, nice quests/raid upgraded quests and namers that are on timers as well as a dungeon crawl difficulty with see-invis and mechanics.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  2. enclee Augur

Nah, people just don't want to be on designated play schedule. Raiding is a second job and the rewards aren't worth it, but some small portion of the playerbase has always enjoyed it.
  3. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Second job? OK, if that's what you think.

Its like joining a bowling league. Show up a couple hours a week at a designated time and participate in a group entertainment function.
  4. Allayna Augur

We raid 2 nights a week, for a whopping total of 5.5 hours. Hardest job I've ever had /eyeroll....

And we take off for more major holidays than the federal government, lmao.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  5. Gana Augur

And if you have to bowl one frame right handed, another one left handed, another one you have to push between your legs, the next you have to hold it while your three year old pushes it while alternating the bumpers in the gutter every 25 seconds and if it goes in the gutter, you have to start over at the first frame...but yeah, bowling. :)
    Foliax likes this.
  6. enclee Augur

Awesome you're doing 2 nights a week, but that's still a schedule. Look back at the past raiding schedules that guilds used to have, where 4 nights a week was pretty regular. People got burned out on it, and they very hesitantly move up into it.

Raiding is a job, it requires: schedule, attendance requirements, resume, minimum qualifications, interview process, probationary period, and then you receive payment.

Anyways, didn't mean to derail the topic but had to comment on people not raiding because they can't cut it, lol.
  7. Allayna Augur

Just gonna point those out.
  8. enclee Augur

Right but in your post, you make it seem that it's the sole reason that separates people from raiding.

Some players are bad and can't cut it, but a lot of players exist out there that don't want to commit to the required dedication level.

Back in the past, I used to be a recruitment officer for my guild and that was always the main reason the good non-raiding players not joining our guild. Also, we were only 4 nights a week as the second ranked guild on the server compared to the 6 nights a week of the top guild on server.
  9. Lianeb Augur

I do believe you are the one assigning “solo” to the tasks. I don’t recall any tasks in EQ labeled as “solo” tasks in game they picked up that label on zam and continued through all the info sites
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Belexes like this.
  10. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

I like the idea of having almost all the zones be open. expansions lately have had 6. break it down to:
    - 3 tier 1 zones (open),
    - 1Tier 2 zone (open),
    - 1 tier 2 zone (locked) and
    - a Tier 3 zone (locked) is imo a good formula.

leaves 2/3 of the zones open to the world to play in, and gives some options to the lower end players but still requires that you work at it if you want the best gear. maybe make the uber TS gear drops only be from T3 lol.

As far as difficulty goes, I more or less agree with tier 1 being mostly stank and spank with smaller DD and DoT. Tier 2 open adding in some bigger dmg effects / position dependent, and tier 3 should be the big damage / more complicated effects.
  11. Krool Lorekeeper

Would like to see a currency exchange system or vendor. Allowing players who missed raids in an older expansion to convert other currencies to that expac currency would be a cool way for those players to be able to get an old sought after item.
  12. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Collection items being no drop/trade if they are in a locked zone! Want the checkmark, do the progression and get em yourself!
    Belexes likes this.
  13. Krool Lorekeeper

At a 1:1 exchange rate on most would be fair. Possibly separate rates or rules for going from raid to group currency or vice versa. Mainly just focused on raid currency conversion though. Please consider @Ngreth .
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Let the casual players decide what is challenging for them and what they want to spend time on. Whether it's been an expansion with or without locked progression I and many others have never run out of things to do.

Most who are not in the raid game are not there do to choice. I run a large casual guild. I end up with some exceptional group players. A number of those move on to raid guilds at some point because they want to play that type of game. I am always happy for them and just glad they are having fun trying a new part of the game. But even those players spent years enjoying the group side of things.

Even casuals like a taste of the raid game or raid game loot. For as long as there have been open raids I have had members of my guild participate in open raids. The thing is they were OPEN raids. No obligation to do it all the time. But even then the larger part of group players still don't do open raids. Most still don't want those mechanics in their regular gaming though. I have participated in the open raids. At one point you asked me to move my paladin to MS (I know probably were desperate times). The thing is I see my guild each Open raid night. I see who goes on the raids and who doesn't. It may surprise you to find that the majority don't even do the open raids. And it includes some of the better players. I did the open raids for a couple of years then I didn't do them for a while. So no I am not skewing anything.

But yes I agree that having harder progression or content at the beginning of an expansion is backwards. Not only that it has to discourage expansion sales. I have a hard time figuring out the logic to it other then the devs don't know how to tune the difficulty levels and it is just luck of the draw as to which content is harder. About the only logic I can see in putting the harder progression at the start is to give raiders a chance to get all their hunters done before casuals fill up things but with pick zones even that makes little sense.

I would really love the game devs to come out and explain why they think putting the nutcracker stuff at the beginnning of an expansion is best for the game. Either they did it intentionally and I would love to hear why or they screwed up and never fixed it. *shrugs* Ok wait I did think of a reason that might be logical. Maybe its a time sink for the group game. Maybe they know that harder stuff using past expansion gear will take extra long to get done but they also realize a whole expansion like that would turn off casuals. Best I can come up with.
  15. Angahran Augur

I understood your convoluted attempts to explain why solo doesn't mean solo.
    But to be honest who really cares if you can request a task on your own or of you need a group to request it ?

Basically you are saying that unless you have a group available you shouldn't even bother logging in because the chances of you actually getting anything meaningful accomplished are zero.
  16. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Best to drive them away right at the start and get it over with hehe

But, yeah, progression should, you know, progress. I think there are very few people who are demanding the game not be challenging and commensurately rewarding. It just seems to make sense that content should be appealing to as many people as possible if you want people to actually buy the expansions.

Having beginning-of-expansion content that people in the group game can actually meaningfully engage just makes sense.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Mintalie like this.
  17. Angahran Augur

Personally, make 'solo' tasks give the rewards to the entire group.
    If one person in a group has a task, or more than one, they should all get credit.

Just quit calling them 'solo' then attempting to justify why they cannot be completed solo by some convoluted logic that would make a politician blush.

No more of this, six people in group have the same 'solo' task to collect 6 whatsits from killing glowing thingamies. Which actually means you end up having to kill 100+ because of course they don't all drop what you are looking for and everyone needs their own 6.

Also, I hate the no prelooting nonsense.
    You walk up to NPC Bob who tells you he would like a dozen shiny shells.You look in your bag and you see you already have more than enough shiny shells from whatever you were doing earlier. But when you offer them to Bob he says he doesn't want those shiny shells he want's completely different (but identical) shiny shells.
    Tucoh likes this.
  18. enclee Augur

I like what they do in GMM for the solo tasks, the number of quest items dropped are equal to the number of players in group that have the same quest.

Agreed, bring back pre-looting.
  19. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

It is kind of obnoxious that it takes six times as many drops to complete a task as a group as it does solo and drops need to be juggled out of the loot window and made sure to be given to the right character or, oops! guess I need to keep going because I accidentally gave the stack of three to the guy who only needed one more.

Aspects like this in the game actually disincentivize grouping as you are almost certainly not killing six times as fast as a solo character -- or more likely there aren't six times as many mobs available to kill so you have to wait on respawns, making it take even longer.

I don't mind everyone needing to grab the task individually. That might even be a code issue that can't really be worked around without making everything a shared task by default. Just, when it comes to having to collect drops for a quest, more people just make it more tedious and less efficient.
  20. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Um, or, yeah just do this. >_>